What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Uh oh... (Damiene Cain)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a medical issue then karma to Damiene.

If it's confirmed that he quit basketball to "focus on academics" then a JRK rant will ensue.

Not even you would be a big enough douchebag to think an 18 year old deserves a rant for choosing getting a good education instead of playing basketball.

Not even you would be a big enough douchebag to think an 18 year old deserves a rant for choosing getting a good education instead of playing basketball.

I think you greatly underestimate JRK's ability to be a douchebag.

Assuming that he's not quitting because of a medical issue...

Education and basketball are not mutually exclusive. Didn't Levi have a 4.0 GPA last year in addition to making it rain every night? All athletes manage to juggle both with some excelling in both. And Harvard-Westlake is one of the elite academic highschools in the country so I find it hard to believe that Damiene would have a difficult time with CU classes.

If Burks had done the same thing prior to his freshman year i'm sure you'd be lauding him for making a "wise life decesion" as well. Basketball just like academics can open up doors. He's been given a unique opportunity to be a part of some greater then himself, to play in front of 10,000 fans a night, to play on national TV, to travel around the country, to make a legacy, to be a BMOC, and possibly too cash in playing basketball after he graduates and he's pissing that all away so he can get some extra time to do his math homework (again it's not like he wouldn't have time if he was playing, he just has more this way).

And what about the tutoring and free ride scholarship that he's giving up, is that a wise academic or financial choice? And what about the CU basketball community? He could have made this choice before he went and committed to CU. Now the team he's turning his back on is down a player, as fans we have a worse product to watch, the countless hours and resources that the coaching staff spent recruting Damiene are all for not and could have been devoted elsewhere.

At the very least give it one season and if for whatever reason he still feels this way then quit. Consider this a mini rant, I could keep going. If it makes me a douchebag so be it but Cain should be taking this douchebag's advice rather then listening to whoever he is now.

Education and basketball are not mutually exclusive. Didn't Levi have a 4.0 GPA last year in addition to making it rain every night? All athletes manage to juggle both with some excelling in both. And Harvard-Westlake is one of the elite academic highschools in the country so I find it hard to believe that Damiene would have a difficult time with CU classes.

If Burks had done the same thing prior to his freshman year i'm sure you'd be lauding him for making a "wise life decesion" as well. Basketball just like academics can open up doors. He's been given a unique opportunity to be a part of some greater then himself, to play in front of 10,000 fans a night, to play on national TV, to travel around the country, to make a legacy, to be a BMOC, and possibly too cash in playing basketball after he graduates and he's pissing that all away so he can get some extra time to do his math homework (again it's not like he wouldn't have time if he was playing, he just has more this way).

And what about the tutoring and free ride scholarship that he's giving up, is that a wise academic or financial choice? And what about the CU basketball community? He could have made this choice before he went and committed to CU. Now the team he's turning his back on is down a player, as fans we have a worse product to watch, the countless hours and resources that the coaching staff spent recruting Damiene are all for not and could have been devoted elsewhere.

At the very least give it one season and if for whatever reason he still feels this way then quit. Consider this a mini rant, I could keep going. If it makes me a douchebag so be it but Cain should be taking this douchebag's advice rather then listening to whoever he is now.
ok... you are obviously some kind of retarded dumb twat... seriously you call out a kid who may or may not have a medical condition who is going to college trying to better himself and after a few weeks decides he cant handle both... what the **** kind of stupid ****ing douchebag are you... i mean holy **** god forbid someone cant handle both ... i commend him for trying to do whats best for him meanwhile you pull out your he owes it to us card... go **** your self you self-righteous sanctimoniousness **** head hes ****ing 18 calm the **** down twat

Last edited:
Good thing you know what is best for him. That helps his life out greatly.

ok... you are obviously some kind of retarded dumb twat... seriously you call out a kid who medical condition or not is going to college and decides he cant handle both... what the **** kind of stupid ****ing douchebag are you... i mean holy **** god forbid someone cant handle both ... i commend him for trying to do whats best for him meanwhile you pull out your he owes it to us card... go **** your self you self-righteous sanctimoniousness **** head

Read the first sentence of JRK's post. Come on, bro.

BooThisMan.gif

Honestly, JRK's post has some great points. The problem with it is that it doesn't take Damiene's thoughts and full situation into account. It is Damiene's choice and we don't get to tell him he's wrong. Good for Damiene doing what he wants to do, not what he thinks he has to based on other people.

I'm not going to play out the hypothetical based on the "non-medical" assumption.

It's medical and the other stuff is just making judgments about someone without having any information.

if its an academic issue I applaud him for recognizing it before anyone else would and better he gets his academic house in order now then before possibly becoming an apr causality and possibly failing out... and i think he may be back with the team in a year or so... and if its medical good luck to him and enjoy cu

So how much of a blow is this to the basketball team?

Hard to say. We definitely lost depth and some options with our rotations. I think he was a good player who would have given us quality minutes. But he was going to be a freshman and we'd never seen him play, so I have no idea if his impact was going to be more like Dufault's freshman year (some nice games he impacted), Roberson's freshman year (game changer for us), or Mill's freshman year (got his feet wet but didn't change the outlook of games).

To start with we don't know what it is. Everything is just speculation.

If it isn't a medical issue or some personal issue it is still a douchebag act to pile on an 18 year old kid. Fact is he wasn't born and raised to entertain us, he has a right to make the decisions about what to do with his life without worrying about how a bunch of internet fans are going to anticipate a basketball season.

Should he have made the decision before accepting a schollie, probably, but he didn't just quit in the middle of a season after the coaches didn't have time to plan and adjust to his decision. He also didn't "stick through it" while he didn't want to giving less than a full effort and/or becoming an attitude problem.

I would have liked to see him play for the Buffs and who knows what the future may bring but right now he is an 18 year old kid making decisions for his life, not our pleasure.

I am sorry to see him go. I hope everything works out for him.

JRK, your post is highly speculative and not warranted. Cut the kid some slack. You need to live life a little longer and gain some perspective.

was really looking forward to seeing this kid play this fall. Now that we have another scholarship to give, I think we need to save it and space out the classes a little bit. Unless some insane prospect wants it then all saving dibs are off.

Ouch. I feel for Coach Boyle on this one. Tough to lose a top 150 guy at this time in the year. Boyle most certainly put a lot of work into getting him to Boulder and was surely depending on him to be an important part of the team moving forward.

Not much anyone can do about injuries, that would be a shame if indeed he has physical issues. As far as focusing on academics, I get it. Education is more important than basketball. Unfortunately if grades are the reason, he did not comprehend the academic investment and responsibility involved with taking a full ride basketball scholarship to an institution like CU.

Best of luck to him in the future.

Last edited:
Unfortunately if grades are the reason, he did not comprehend the academic investment and responsibility involved with taking a full ride basketball scholarship to an institution like CU.

I was kinda smirking while reading this and saying "yeah right" in my head, but I don't think that CU is harder than say Stanford in terms of academics, but I think our student athlete support is really lacking and the schools is really not set up for students to be able to succeed. From our tutoring, to our add drop policies, there are a LOT of other school that make it a heck of a lot easier being a student athlete.

If he is struggling with academics, it would surprise me a bit. He and Boyle have been discussing this for 2 or 3 weeks. How would academics have been the issue at the beginning of that timeline? Plus, Cain went to Harvard Westlake. That's an excellent high school. He also had an offer from Boston College, which is pretty rigorous academically.

If he is struggling with academics, it would surprise me a bit. He and Boyle have been discussing this for 2 or 3 weeks. How would academics have been the issue at the beginning of that timeline? Plus, Cain went to Harvard Westlake. That's an excellent high school. He also had an offer from Boston College, which is pretty rigorous academically.
I'm really worried this is something pretty serious. No way its academics. May be mental issues. Karma to the guy.

BC is really expensive but i wouldn't say it was N'Western or Stanford. it's where moneyed Catholics go when they don't get into Notre Dame. "Fredo" is what ND fans call BC. CU is reasonably competitive with BC...outside the advantages a private has...smaller class sizes, real classes for FR and Sophs...taught by profs who are used to teaching not just wanking it off for TA's.....etc.

Last edited:
If Damiene chose academics over bball then this is something to be celebrated, not ridiculed. And if a health issue, best wishes to him.

Sounding more and more like the reports of medical issues are incorrect.

Waiting for JRK rant.

It's hard to know for sure. Rivals and Buffscoop both heard "medical". Scout and ESPN both reported "academic focus". I went with the group that is usually most on top of breaking news. They still may be right, but Cain's quotes suggest it's academics. It's possible that there's something medical that he wants to keep personal and have the official story be academic focus. If that's the case, I'll respect his wishes and call it academics unless and until he personally says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back