What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Umass Depth Chart - some changes

One thing that's clear from the week2 depth chart is that coaches are trying hard to redshirt as much of this freshman class as possible along with Ross and Wiefels. I'm happy about that. Some guys will certainly be used, but the best thing we can hope for is for the coaches to avoid hitting the panic button and throwing guys in. We're already too young with the guys we have starting and are seeing the assignment mistakes as a result. No need to compound that problem. Best way to build for the future while getting the most out of this season is to get the current 2-deep as many snaps as possible while banking that extra year from as many other guys as possible.

Good comment Nik. Definitely a "survive today, build for the future" strategy. That said, saving all those RS's is really going to tire guys out, especially on D. We saw how that worked out...

OL statistics show the following guys struggled:

Crabb: 76.7% game grade
Kelley: 79.5% game grade
Nembot: 72.6% game grade.

Irwin was 86 ish and Munyer 90 ish.

That's no bueno. Not horrible though. Last year was horrible. Nembot's best was 69.2, and the only starter that was over 80%, or even close, was Jack Harris. The thing was, the mistakes they did make on Friday were really bad and got Sefo or our RBs killed. Real Ole stuff.

Nembot has improved, but to a below average level. How much longer can they go with this experiment?

Yes. Almost caught a TD late. We subbed a lot less than I thought we would at WR.

I don't know who is doing the grades or how they are doing the grading but no way was Munyer over 90%, watched the interior OL specifically and he looked like dogmeat on to many plays. He may have been in the right position but he got dominated.

Calahan may not be giving the right answers in the meeting rooms but it's hard for me to see how we couldn't improve over the current line-up we are putting out there.

And agree with you on Nembot (and this may apply to some of the others.) They may be making a count of good plays vs. bad plays but we have to look at the consequences of the bad plays. Does the bad play turn a 5 yard gain into a 2 yard gain or does the bad play result in something that kills a drive?

I'm done with Nembot. He turned in his best game ever and was still horrible. Callahan to RT

3 years wasted if so. Hard to let go of that investment. Can he play TE? :lol:
i know kinda late after 3 years of training at OL but defensive tackle/nose guard, just on size alone - what a waste of such a big dude

3 years wasted if so. Hard to let go of that investment. Can he play TE? :lol:

Look up the Sunk Cost Fallacy. We aren't going to get those three years back and should stop trying (assuming that it makes more sense to play somebody else going forward).

Money spent with no return is not an investment, it is an expense. Expenses are in the past. Time to move on @ RT.

I don't know who is doing the grades or how they are doing the grading but no way was Munyer over 90%, watched the interior OL specifically and he looked like dogmeat on to many plays. He may have been in the right position but he got dominated.

Calahan may not be giving the right answers in the meeting rooms but it's hard for me to see how we couldn't improve over the current line-up we are putting out there.

And agree with you on Nembot (and this may apply to some of the others.) They may be making a count of good plays vs. bad plays but we have to look at the consequences of the bad plays. Does the bad play turn a 5 yard gain into a 2 yard gain or does the bad play result in something that kills a drive?

You should email Bernardi and tell him he doesn't know what he's doing grading the OL, I'm sure he'll listen to you

You should email Bernardi and tell him he doesn't know what he's doing grading the OL, I'm sure he'll listen to you

Do you think Munyer was a 90%+ player Friday?

We spent a lot of years having Hawkins tell us how stupid we were. The results tell the story.

We spent a lot of years having Hawkins tell us how stupid we were. The results tell the story.

Callahan is ready, he practiced and played against 5 star talent that moved on to the NFL.
I hate to say it but I don't think most of our starting OL would have even been considered as walkons at Auburn.

Dunno, I didn't specifically focus on Munyer when I was watching. My point was more that Bernardi has been doing this for a long time. The OL wasn't great by any meaning of the word, but I firmly believe play calling was the biggest issue on offense. If anyone has seen Bernardi coach you see immediately that he is a very vocal coach and preaches physicality. I'm still confused how we lost so much of that mentality in 20 minutes.

Callahan is ready, he practiced and played against 5 star talent that moved on to the NFL.
I hate to say it but I don't think most of our starting OL would have even been considered as walkons at Auburn.

Glad it's that simple. This isn't NCAA the video game...

I have thought Munyer was a pretty decent OL. He is consistent, even if he isn't dominant. Maybe others who played at higher levels can chime in here, but I was always told a stalemate is a win for the OL. Maybe you didn't move your guy, but if you are in the right spot and tying the defender up, that is a win. Conversely, DL have to defeat the block, and shed it, not just take it on. Munyer pretty much always seems to be in the right spot and engaging the defender, maybe that is why he grades out so high, even if he isn't pancaking the guy.

Terminology is the reason Callahan is not being played? Let's be serious.

Redshirting the majority of this class is going to create a logjam at some positions. Weifels looks like a whiff, as was Leo Jackson. But guess it allows the coaches to beautifully play the "young" excuse.

Good thing Shay Fields doesn't have that problem....oh wait.

Horrible compraison. A WR is pure athleticism. It takes a lot longer to pick up your job responsibilities at OT than it does WR. Hell, Fields only ran one play all game long.

Horrible compraison. A WR is pure athleticism. It takes a lot longer to pick up your job responsibilities at OT than it does WR. Hell, Fields only ran one play all game long.

I guess that is why Andre Simmons played so much....it's all athleticism. So what about Shaver, another true frosh slated to start at DE this week? Is that all athleticism too? Brian Daniels and MTM played OL as frosh, and very early in the season, so did Marwan Hage. Doesn't hold water with me, but if it does with you, more power to ya.

Why are we redshirting anyone? Saving for tomorrow just ensures the next coach has a lot of players who've never seen the field. If they are willing and capable of playing - they should play.

Why are we redshirting anyone? Saving for tomorrow just ensures the next coach has a lot of players who've never seen the field. If they are willing and capable of playing - they should play.

Allows kids to physically mature while not wasting a year of eligibility. They are red shirting because they are not ready to play.

I guess that is why Andre Simmons played so much....it's all athleticism. So what about Shaver, another true frosh slated to start at DE this week? Is that all athleticism too? Brian Daniels and MTM played OL as frosh, and very early in the season, so did Marwan Hage. Doesn't hold water with me, but if it does with you, more power to ya.

Daniels and MTM played, as did Andre Gurode. Gurode did so because he was a freak. Daniels and MTM because they were far and away the best options. I'm sure that had there been some experienced guys on the team ahead of them, those two would have redshirted. You always want to redshirt an OL if you can. I realize that isn't always possible. But you can't argue that it's not easier to pick up WR at the college level than it is OL. Fields is a playmaker. We need playmakers, desperately.

Terminology is the reason Callahan is not being played? Let's be serious.

Redshirting the majority of this class is going to create a logjam at some positions. Weifels looks like a whiff, as was Leo Jackson. But guess it allows the coaches to beautifully play the "young" excuse.
Duff, what is the reason? (no troll) I don't understand it.

Allows kids to physically mature while not wasting a year of eligibility. They are red shirting because they are not ready to play.

So - if they are NOT ready to play, redshirt them.

If they are ready to play -- PLAY THEM.

I certainly hope we aren't redshirting players just to save eligibility for later years.

Daniels and MTM played, as did Andre Gurode. Gurode did so because he was a freak. Daniels and MTM because they were far and away the best options. I'm sure that had there been some experienced guys on the team ahead of them, those two would have redshirted. You always want to redshirt an OL if you can. I realize that isn't always possible. But you can't argue that it's not easier to pick up WR at the college level than it is OL. Fields is a playmaker. We need playmakers, desperately.

No argument there. Callahan isn't a frosh, it just seems to me if he made the two deep at Auburn, I cannot imagine he isn't ready physically to take an OL spot, given CU's OL. I also cannot grasp that he can't get the mental side of the game when frosh can do it, OL or not. Maybe he is nicked up and it hasn't been reported, maybe he is in the doghouse, who knows? If it were me, and thank God it isn't, I would be putting him out there. If he isn't an upgrade...I don't even want to think about it.

Two things come to mind. One, Callahan isn't showing that he's better than Nembot. If that's the case, we're good and truly furked. Second, the coaches would really prefer to move Munyer to C and slide Callahan into RG. If that's the case, I can understand it. The problem with that is that if it were going to happen, it should have happened in training camp, not in the middle of the season.

Another possibility that occurred to me as I was typing is that the coaches don't feel that the OL situation is all that bad.

Who is redshirting that shouldn't be? I have to imagine a couple redshirts are burned on Saturday

Two things come to mind. One, Callahan isn't showing that he's better than Nembot. If that's the case, we're good and truly furked. Second, the coaches would really prefer to move Munyer to C and slide Callahan into RG. If that's the case, I can understand it. The problem with that is that if it were going to happen, it should have happened in training camp, not in the middle of the season.

Another possibility that occurred to me as I was typing is that the coaches don't feel that the OL situation is all that bad.

I was wondering about all the reports that Callahan was playing OG in camp. It made me think the OL was solid at OT. It was just one game but Irwin did look good. But Nembot perplexes me. He looks the part, but well, we have all seen the games.

Back