What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Umass Depth Chart - some changes

Here is an interview Callahan just gave.

Buffzone

I like that Callahan said he is watching every position and learning. Can't wait to see him out there.

Here is what made me scratch my head

Coach Bernardi comments "Callahan was a tackle at Auburn, but CU line coach Gary Bernardi said, "I'm not sure in our offense he'd be a tackle."
WTF why? Is our offense so amazing and complicated that a well coached tackle at Auburn "the SEC Champions" wouldn't be able to handle it. Really?
wow this is just getting more stupid. Has anyone told Coach Bernardi that Nembot wouldn't be a tackle in our program. I have proof of that.

It is interesting that Buffzone did that article...as if to apply a little pressure.

Not a tackle in our offense. That makes sense. CU relies on routinely giving up the speed rush on passing downs to lull the other team into a false sens of security so they can BAM, block it when it really counts. Tricky bastards. I like the staff's style.

CU line coach Gary Bernardi said, "I'm not sure in our offense he'd be a tackle."

Based on this quote I'm not sure that in our league Bernardi would be an OL coach.

Results so far would lean towards this view.

Buffzone

I like that Callahan said he is watching every position and learning. Can't wait to see him out there.

Coach Bernardi comments "Callahan was a tackle at Auburn, but CU line coach Gary Bernardi said, "I'm not sure in our offense he'd be a tackle."
WTF why? Is our offense so amazing and complicated that a well coached tackle at Auburn "the SEC Champions" wouldn't be able to handle it. Really?
wow this is just getting more stupid. Has anyone told Coach Bernardi that Nembot wouldn't be a tackle in our program. I have proof of that.

The SEC doesn't have the speed rushers CSU has.

Heres my take on a couple things-It seemed to me that everybody was gushing about Bobo during the spring and fall camps.........but he doesn't do anything against CSU. If this kid is anywhere need as good as he was made out to be, get him on the field and get him the ball. This team is in desperate need of weapons offensively.

As far as Callahan---This goes back to my feeling about this staff in general. If Bernardi thinks a kid who was good enough to see action for last year's SEC champions/National runners-up isn't good enough to start for us, then Bernardi is a bad judge of talent. Plain and simple.

I've said this repeatedly since Friday-I will not contribute to the MM is under pressure or needs to be fired talk. Its not going to happen, it doesn't add anything to the discussion here, and it would create even more problems for us. I will say this, though. When we dumped Embree, the administration decided to pay his successor a salary that would be competitive with most of the Pac-12 schools (Oregon, etc. are exceptions). In addition, they gave MM a competitive pool for his staff (I believe $2.5 mil-correct me if I'm wrong). I understand wanting to reward the guys who were big in the turnaround in San Jose, but he brought all but two of his San Jose State assistants with him. Some of these individuals (Brian Lindgren for one) have resumes that are........questionable. If we're spending that kind of money on assistants, then go get quality guys......not people who were at Northern Arizona as late as 2011. If this team doesn't get back to four wins (that would be UMass, Hawaii, Cal---most likely. They could easily lose to Sac State, and winning a game that they did not win last year), then some of these assistants will need to be shown the door.

The SEC doesn't have the speed rushers CSU has.

Only 3 beers down and this one...best post of the thread..go figure...buds all over Alabama are laughing their butts off & we have a pool as to how many games it will be before he finally gets some PT.

Well whatever Bernardi, looked like that dude took two steps before Nembot even moved. By that time, it was way ****ing late. That was a pretty big play too.

Not a tackle in our offense. That makes sense. CU relies on routinely giving up the speed rush on passing downs to lull the other team into a false sens of security so they can BAM, block it when it really counts. Tricky bastards. I like the staff's style.

You mean they give up on the RT blocking the speed rush so that the QB can make the block a little later....

Buffzone

Going to try and defend Bernardi here. Auburn runs a down hill rushing/option offense where they option the defensive end most of the time.

After watching the game again last night, we need to get Callahan in there. I'm assuming Munyer graded out so well because he knows his assignments, but physically he was overmatched a lot. Nembot and Crabb also stood out a few times, and not for good reasons. The staff obviously values guys that can get to the 2nd level, but our guys whiffed hard when trying to do so.

Other observations:

-Jimmie Gilbert was flat out awful. He shouldn't play again until he puts on some weight or something. He was a sieve when he was in. And he wasn't a problem when rushing the passer
-Juda Parker got pushed around easily and was a non-factor in the pass rush game. Solis was better and has legit size, get him in there Jeffcoat.
-All of the LBs, Gillam included, played bad. Olugbode is just too small and can't do much in the run game. Greer missed too many tackles that he had to make. Gillam lost track of his assignment a few times and allowed a few key first downs via the pass out of the backfield.
-Sean Irwin is not a good blocker
-Our RBs are slow and make up for it by not breaking tackles.
-those screens/swing passes were serious drive killers. Lindgren needs to trust Sefo to air it out.
-Spruce is not a good punt returner.
-Frazier looked like he legitimately had no idea what to do on some plays. He'd just run into the 2nd level and fail to find anyone to block.

On the plus side:

-Shaver and McCartney weren't too bad imo. Most of the running damage, at least in the first 3 quarters that I rewatched, went to Gilbert/Parker's side. Shaver definitely has some potential and made some plays, but he's just small right now.
-Tupuo occupied 2 blockers a lot of the time, but there were times he could've disrupted more and didn't.
-The DBs were pretty good actually. The longer passes that were successful early on were against the LBs.
-Irwin was great at LT. He was always mandhandling his guy and was a wall in pass protection.
-The WRs seemed to play well, but their blocking really sucks. Probably a natural effect of starting a small true freshman, a tiny slot guy, and Spruce isn't massive either.
-Sefo did good until the staff decided to handicap him with screens and swings
-Why Mac was furious at Nembot after the missed FG was beyond me. Nembot did nothing wrong there..

After watching the game again last night, we need to get Callahan in there. I'm assuming Munyer graded out so well because he knows his assignments, but physically he was overmatched a lot. Nembot and Crabb also stood out a few times, and not for good reasons. The staff obviously values guys that can get to the 2nd level, but our guys whiffed hard when trying to do so.

Other observations:

-Jimmie Gilbert was flat out awful. He shouldn't play again until he puts on some weight or something. He was a sieve when he was in. And he wasn't a problem when rushing the passer
-Juda Parker got pushed around easily and was a non-factor in the pass rush game. Solis was better and has legit size, get him in there Jeffcoat.
-All of the LBs, Gillam included, played bad. Olugbode is just too small and can't do much in the run game. Greer missed too many tackles that he had to make. Gillam lost track of his assignment a few times and allowed a few key first downs via the pass out of the backfield.
-those screens/swing passes were serious drive killers. Lindgren needs to trust Sefo to air it out.
-Frazier looked like he legitimately had no idea what to do on some plays. He'd just run into the 2nd level and fail to find anyone to block.

On the plus side:

-Shaver and McCartney weren't too bad imo. Most of the running damage, at least in the first 3 quarters that I rewatched, went to Gilbert/Parker's side. Shaver definitely has some potential and made some plays, but he's just small right now.
-Tupuo occupied 2 blockers a lot of the time, but there were times he could've disrupted more and didn't.
-The DBs were pretty good actually. The longer passes that were successful early on were against the LBs.
-Irwin was great at LT. He was always mandhandling his guy and was a wall in pass protection.
-The WRs seemed to play well, but their blocking really sucks. Probably a natural effect of starting a small true freshman, a tiny slot guy, and Spruce isn't massive either.
-Why Mac was furious at Nembot after the missed FG was beyond me. Nembot did nothing wrong there..

Nembot was apparently late to the formation. Threw off the kickers timing.

I liked Spruce on punt returns. A couple of his chances, he did a good job of not letting difficult balls hit the ground. And he made yards. He's a good punt returner, just not a dynamic one.

Other observations:

On the plus side:

Braver man than I. Re-watching that mess would be hard. I did notice the CSU runs in the 2d half seemed to go to one side, I did not notice it was JP and JG's side though. Irwin at LT was pretty good, I agree on that. Munyer looks to be in the right place, engaging his defender, although he rarely manhandles the guy. Crabb, I have never been that high on him. Nembot can dominate if he gets a good position on his man, but he struggles too much in pass pro, especially against a speed rusher. Said that after the spring game.

CU did not look well prepared, which surprised me. They looked very flat in the 2d, which surprised me more.

I liked Spruce on punt returns. A couple of his chances, he did a good job of not letting difficult balls hit the ground. And he made yards. He's a good punt returner, just not a dynamic one.

For the time being I think he needs to be back there, we absolutely cannot turn the ball over trying to field a punt. Hopefully next year Fields or Walker can be return guys

The "Other observations" are brutal!!

I wish I had it in me to just forget about Buffs football for two or three years. We are still so bad, are so far from being good. Patience is really tough.

Braver man than I. Re-watching that mess would be hard. I did notice the CSU runs in the 2d half seemed to go to one side, I did not notice it was JP and JG's side though. Irwin at LT was pretty good, I agree on that. Munyer looks to be in the right place, engaging his defender, although he rarely manhandles the guy. Crabb, I have never been that high on him. Nembot can dominate if he gets a good position on his man, but he struggles too much in pass pro, especially against a speed rusher. Said that after the spring game.

CU did not look well prepared, which surprised me. They looked very flat in the 2d, which surprised me more.

Nembot is inconsistent more than anything. When his mind is right and he's focused he looks like we all want him to look, but as the game goes on his mind seems to drift. I don't know what causes it: **** talking, guys figuring him out, mistakes he can't get over in one play, lack of football passion, or just the grind of a full game . . . One of the toughest parts of being on the Oline is to perform at the same intensity every play, and he struggles with that.

If anyone wants to wonder how badly Nembot affects the offense when he gets in a funk, here you go:

[tweet]507972834111406080[/tweet]

If anyone wants to wonder how badly Nembot affects the offense when he gets in a funk, here you go:

[tweet]507972834111406080[/tweet]

He also got banged up pretty well late. He looked very un-Sefo in the fourth. (in his eyes and odd conservative decision-making.)

We seemed like we were well prepared the 1st quarter. CSU supposedly plays a break don't bend defense. So we knew they would give up the big play if we could make the big play. Seemed like we did the few times we tried it early. Then I don't understand our offensive adjustments toward the half. We knew they were built on their LBs, but we started to send Adkins through the guards and play the short passing game (those screens White_Rabbit referred to). What caused us to do that?

CSUs only score in the 1st half was all because of a bad call against Crawley. Their score in the 3rd quarter seemed to just happen and caused them to learn something. It's as if they stumbled on our weakness and then exploited it through the 4th quarter. What did they learn? Yeah our DEs were highschoolers...but it was something more than that. Does anyone know?

We seemed like we were well prepared the 1st quarter. CSU supposedly plays a break don't bend defense. So we knew they would give up the big play if we could make the big play. Seemed like we did the few times we tried it early. Then I don't understand our offensive adjustments toward the half. We knew they were built on their LBs, but we started to send Adkins through the guards and play the short passing game (those screens White_Rabbit referred to). What caused us to do that?

CSUs only score in the 1st half was all because of a bad call against Crawley. Their score in the 3rd quarter seemed to just happen and caused them to learn something. It's as if they stumbled on our weakness and then exploited it through the 4th quarter. What did they learn? Yeah our DEs were highschoolers...but it was something more than that. Does anyone know?

Yeah. I don't know where the "not well prepared" comes from. Offense was moving the ball and defense was stoning CSU.

I thought the main issue last Friday was a team that didn't have the maturity & fight to put a team away when it had the chance or to recover from a momentum switch going against it.

Yeah. I don't know where the "not well prepared" comes from. Offense was moving the ball and defense was stoning CSU.

I thought the main issue last Friday was a team that didn't have the maturity & fight to put a team away when it had the chance or to recover from a momentum switch going against it.
And it didn't have the depth to withstand long drives later in the game.

I guess what I mean by well prepared should be stated as "Not really showing up to play". There is a difference between wanting to win and wanting to beat the other team. CU looked like they wanted to win. When the tide turned against them, they folded. Part of being prepared is to be ready for a four quarter dogfight if necessary. Otherwise, be prepared to put your foot on the neck of the opponent and put the game away. CU seemed prepared to do neither.

Are we not conditioned? Doesn't seem like a good coach would let one of things he can control (conditioning) go undone...and I do think MM is a good coach. It was weird to me...like two different teams and two different games.

Are we not conditioned? Doesn't seem like a good coach would let one of things he can control (conditioning) go undone...and I do think MM is a good coach. It was weird to me...like two different teams and two different games.

It is why I hate these rivalry games as the 1st game. A team as young as ours doesn't have their legs under them yet and they get everything the opposition can throw at them.

In this case CSU found something that worked, adjusted to it, and pounded it down our throats. The new kids had no idea how to react.

Possibly just young guys who don't haven't learned enough to adjust by the first game...but this is preparation stuff...something good programs know how to take care of. All very confusing.

Nembot was apparently late to the formation. Threw off the kickers timing.

Ah, that makes sense. I rewatched that play like 4 times trying to figure it out.

I get that he's the safe choice, but given our lack of overall talent, it'd be nice to get a playmaker back there. He got the ball at least twice with 15 yards between himself and a defender and at best ended up with a 10 yard return after dancing around.

And it didn't have the depth to withstand long drives later in the game.

That's another thing I didn't mention, we did not sub much that I could tell. I saw Severson a few times at LB, Solis, Gilbert, and some Coleman on the DL. Those were really the only subs we used that I noticed.

Back