What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Unintended consequences

Let's see. . . .what was Tyler's salary for the game you paid $50 to see? Oh yes . . . it was $0.00. O.K. The Blue thing would have pissed me off too. You can't neatly separate out the players from the collective entity that is Buffalo Football past and present. You can bet none of us who wore the Black & Gold would wear a different color and expect the players to understand. So maybe you guys that are still in school should try to walk on and see if you can improve the effort of the team. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on the team that would be happy to knock you on your ass for a couple of hours a day. They would probably even let you wear a blue jersey.

I find it interesting that you think a CU education has a value of $0.00.

Nothing else in your post was interesting at all.

It's time for coach paranoid and his players to start focusing their hate toward the fans onto the opposing team. Win games and stop having losing seasons every year and maybe,just maybe your own students wouldn't be wearing powder blue to games.

You should have been ticked off losing to a awful csu team in your own house but that didn't do it. You should have been ticked by losing to an awful toledo team but that didn't do it either.

Here's an idea, win 2 games in a row.

Let's see. . . .what was Tyler's salary for the game you paid $50 to see? Oh yes . . . it was $0.00. O.K. The Blue thing would have pissed me off too. You can't neatly separate out the players from the collective entity that is Buffalo Football past and present. You can bet none of us who wore the Black & Gold would wear a different color and expect the players to understand. So maybe you guys that are still in school should try to walk on and see if you can improve the effort of the team. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on the team that would be happy to knock you on your ass for a couple of hours a day. They would probably even let you wear a blue jersey.
:yeahthat:

Agree with this take. However, a little # called 3 and 6 should hurt a lot more then what I wore to the stadium. i feel bad for the players, but they are big boys and will be alright. Especially if they start winning :smile2:.

Go Buffs. :thumbsup:

Easy, partner. He's a kid. He's probably being spoon fed things to say by his coaches. I don't hold his comments against him. It's Platis comments that annoy me. 200 people my ass.

Don't forget Hawk's 'real fans wear black and gold' comment. The AD is really pissing me off lately.

Maybe some of the fans & alum that are traveling to Ames today are bringing powder blue shirts to inspire a road win. Shouldn't be to hard for Hanson to pick them out in that stadium.

You should have been ticked off losing to a awful csu team in your own house but that didn't do it. You should have been ticked by losing to an awful toledo team but that didn't do it either.
Not just losing to an awful team, but watching their fans running onto our field and seeing them stomp on buffalo at midfield. My blood was boiling when I saw that. The fact that we didn't get pissed off and take that anger out on Toledo is beyond me. We should have DESTROYED whomever was up next on the schedule after the CSU debacle.

Not just losing to an awful team, but watching their fans running onto our field and seeing them stomp on buffalo at midfield. My blood was boiling when I saw that. The fact that we didn't get pissed off and take that anger out on Toledo is beyond me. We should have DESTROYED whomever was up next on the schedule after the CSU debacle.

Not a Hawk coached team...you know... never too high, never too low...seems like he wants his players and coaches to walk around in a constant prozac daze...

I find it interesting that you think a CU education has a value of $0.00.

Nothing else in your post was interesting at all.
He likes me, Mom! He really likes me and he thinks I'm smart too. It's going to be a swell weekend fellow all-Buffers!! :lol:

He likes me, Mom! He really likes me and he thinks I'm smart too. It's going to be a swell weekend fellow all-Buffers!! :lol:
Hell ****ing yes it is. I dunno if I will be by the boards if we lose tho. I already know what is gonna happen if that eventuality occurs. :sad1:

A collective :dbt: for sure.

Well Hansen gets his feelings hurt by blue shirts while going to school for free is a bit like a baby is it not?

I see both sides of the argument. I wore my regular stuff (Black and Gold).

What I see is a GIGANTIC disconnect between the AD and the fans. The AD wants to charge premium prices, for everything from tickets, to parking, to licensed gear, to 6.00 chicken burritos. As soon as anybody says, "Hey, I expect something for that kind of $$$$", the AD hides behind the "student-athlete" "your not a real fan" "your team" line.

The fact is, it is our team, at least as far as alums and ticket buying fans go. Especially when your prices are VERY high for the product, I don't see why the AD cannot handle some criticism. Especially when it comes form the folks who foot the bill.

The people who get the short end of the deal are the players IMO. Yeah, they get a free education, but the value they add to the process is the greatest, but they see the least return.

The AD wants everybody to pony up premium prices, attend every game, cheer on the team and NEVER point out where things could be done better. When your team isn't competitive everybody gets restless. The AD, especially MB and DH are very well paid to manage the situation. Instead they often sound like a bunch of crybabies. Welcome to the big time, we're not reallyinterested in your excuses for lack of wins. You are not paid to give excuses.

please tell me we are not going to go there again...

:huh:

The key word in TH's quote is "disrespect." If the powder blue brigade loves the Buffs as much as they claim, maybe it's time to stop disrespecting the program and start channeling their frustration in more productive ways.

Well, Mr. Walrus, there are lots of options for using your time more productively: Take your kids to the park; volunteer at the local soup kitchen; adopt a stretch of highway and pick up some trash. Basically, anything that gets you away from the computer and thinking up clever ways of expressing your frustration with the way this season is going.

Dividing the fan base into the powder blue haters and the black & gold supporters isn't helpful. NO ONE IS HAPPY WITH THE BUFF'S RECORD AND EVERYONE KNOWS THE HAWK IS ON THE HOT SEAT. Despite the rumors and rumblings reported by those "in the know" on this forum, it doesn't look like DH has lost this team. Write an email to Bohn if you must, but ambiguous public displays of dissatisfaction with the program have their downside, as TH's quote makes clear.

It was a sincere question that I asked of you. You suggested channelling frustration in "more productive ways". I wanted to know how to express the message more productively, because the folks who would like to share their message are probably looking for the most effective way to do it.

If there's a better way, I'm sure they'd love to adopt it.

You sounded like you might have some ideas...so I asked.

But in my observation you failed to provide a more effective manner of expression.

The goal from the genisis of the Blue-Out was to support and cheer the players in person while expressing their disatisfaction with the state of the program to the administration.

Since the student athletes are part of the program it's not an enormous leap that they responded somewhat negatively to the protest. It maybe wasn't perfect, but honestly, it provided a channel for expression for frustrated fans, and I think it did so in a fair manner. It also kept butts in the seats.

The Blue-Out organizers were clear that it didn't target players (even if some unintended consequences should have been anticipated). However, the administration (coaches and above from my observation) chose to make it about the players. Think about that. The guys pretending to protect our student athletes chose to wrestle the meaning of a benign message to protect themselves! They used the emotions of players to twist a protest against them, to villainize the protestors.

Why are we mad a the Blue-Out crowd again? They're doing their best to show disatisfaction while cheering on their team. To me, it appears that others are doing more of a disservice to the players.

No, I don't want you to STFU. I just don't think it's helpful to be a protester at a college football game. Maybe for the Fuskers game the blue crowd can show up in their blue jerseys AND wear paper bags on their heads. That would show that they're REALLY angry. And so on and so on.

I don't know, it just seems childish to me. At the point an adult feels he or she as to go to the game wearing protest gear, maybe, just maybe, that person has lost perspective.

I'd argue that any fan has lost perspective. This isn't a rational pursuit.

The easiest, fastest, cleanest way to deal with the problem at CU is simple.

Stop buying tickets. Stop giving donations. Stop buying merchandise / goods.

The athletic department is largely a business, and like most businesses, the easiest way to implement change is to hit them where it hurts - the bottom line.

I realize that stopping with donations and stopping with buying tickets is unpopular because it is seen as "not supporting" the University. Put the money into a growth account, and when the powers-that-be at CU open their eyes and make a coaching change - take the money out and send it to CU. Trust me, the tickets will still be there.

The athletic department is largely a business, and like most businesses, the easiest way to implement change is to hit them where it hurts - the bottom line.

I realize that stopping with donations and stopping with buying tickets is unpopular because it is seen as "not supporting" the University. Put the money into a growth account, and when the powers-that-be at CU open their eyes and make a coaching change - take the money out and send it to CU. Trust me, the tickets will still be there.
No, the easiest way if for Hawk to win.

No, the easiest, most unlikely way is for Hawk to win.

FIFY.:smile2:

Seriously, just kidding around. I'd like to see Hawk turn it around too. I am of the opinion thought that after 46 games, I don't think it will happen.

FIFY.:smile2:

Seriously, just kidding around. I'd like to see Hawk turn it around too. I am of the opinion thought that after 46 games, I don't think it will happen.

Disrespectful, in my opinion.

The goal from the genisis of the Blue-Out was to support and cheer the players in person while expressing their disatisfaction with the state of the program to the administration.

Since the student athletes are part of the program it's not an enormous leap that they responded somewhat negatively to the protest. It maybe wasn't perfect, but honestly, it provided a channel for expression for frustrated fans, and I think it did so in a fair manner. It also kept butts in the seats.

The Blue-Out organizers were clear that it didn't target players (even if some unintended consequences should have been anticipated). However, the administration (coaches and above from my observation) chose to make it about the players. Think about that. The guys pretending to protect our student athletes chose to wrestle the meaning of a benign message to protect themselves! They used the emotions of players to twist a protest against them, to villainize the protestors.

Why are we mad a the Blue-Out crowd again? They're doing their best to show disatisfaction while cheering on their team. To me, it appears that others are doing more of a disservice to the players.

REP! (And don't think it doesn't hurt me to the heart to give you the good stuff.... :cry:) (EDIT: Incredibly enough, I seem to have already repped Wally recently... :sorry:)

The whole point of this was to make a statement of their dissatisfaction with the leadership while not hurting the team by withholding support or hurt the AD as a whole by withholding money. Unfortunately, a few people chose to knowingly twist that message and use it to turn the players against the fan base. Not what I'd expect from leadership that has always earned high marks for the high character brought to the program.

My problem with it is that it does long-term damage, it does damage to programs beyond FB (probably more damage to low revenue sports than to FB, ultimately) and it inevitably hurts support for the players when they compete. The point of a visual protest was to try to avoid all those outcomes.:huh:

Ok, sorry if I called a player a name, but I really wanted to like this kid and what he could do for CU but all he is doing is alienating me. The comments coming out of this program are ridiculous! They can only rely on tradition for so long before people will be turning their backs on a loser program that treats its fans like fools. You may be able to get away with that when you are winning, but when you are a laughing stock there are far better places to spend your sporting entertainment dollar in the Denver area.

Ok, sorry if I called a player a name, but I really wanted to like this kid and what he could do for CU but all he is doing is alienating me. The comments coming out of this program are ridiculous! They can only rely on tradition for so long before people will be turning their backs on a loser program that treats its fans like fools. You may be able to get away with that when you are winning, but when you are a laughing stock there are far better places to spend your sporting entertainment dollar in the Denver area.

:popcorn:

It was a sincere question that I asked of you. You suggested channelling frustration in "more productive ways". I wanted to know how to express the message more productively, because the folks who would like to share their message are probably looking for the most effective way to do it.

If there's a better way, I'm sure they'd love to adopt it.

You sounded like you might have some ideas...so I asked.

But in my observation you failed to provide a more effective manner of expression.

I'd argue that any fan has lost perspective. This isn't a rational pursuit.
Walrus,

There's no doubt this isn't a rational pursuit. If it were, I probably wouldn't have been at my daughter's first college homecoming staring into my blackberry during the aTm game as I refreshed the gametracker feed over and over and over and over and over.....

To my mind, it's counter-productive to participate in game day protests. It looks like crap on tv; it can't help with recruiting; and, despite the best intentions of the participants, it has a negative effect on the players. (Yeah, I know TH should grow a pair, but I just don't think it helps for the players to think that the fans aren't 100% behind the team.) Is it better than not showing up for games? I'm not sure. No-shows indicate a lack of interest in a not-quite-mediocre product and deliver a potent economic message; protest gear delivers a different message that is subject to many interpretations (as the TH comments show) and reflects on the university in strange ways.

What do I think would be a productive way to channel frustration with the program? Well, other than firing off emails to the AD and administration, I'm not sure that there are many productive things to be done that would have much effect on the current coaching situation.

Despite the debacle that this season has become, the players do not appear to have turned on Hawk or the program. After a season of soul-crushing losses, they showed up and played with passion last week. And, they won. We also know that the team has a fair amount of young talent, which bodes well for the future. I think the best thing we can do is fill Folsom and show 100% support for the team -- though, games like the Mizzou game can make that a hard thing to do.

I'll be at Folsom for the NU game -- my third game of the year, which ain't bad for an East coaster. I'll be wearing b&g and hoping like hell the Buffs win. And that will be the case even if they lose today and against OSU.

My post about picking up trash was out of line. I share your frustration. There's little we can do. I hope Buff Nation can rally behind the team despite the shoddy results on the field.

To be clear. I never want to wear blue.
But if CU enters November with only two wins on any future occation, I will.

It doesn't matter who is coaching, who is playing, or whatever.
CU Blue's message was not clear this time. The next time it means "Warning: This has the potential of becoming one of the bottom 10 teams in a history that goes back to 1889."

I thought the message was pretty clear:

we think our team sucks.

Did I miss something?

no, I didn't wear blue, but don't expect the players and coaches to grasp the minutae in the protest. It was a clear expression of fan displeasure, and with the mentality of a football team, if you diss the performance on the field, you diss the whole team.

The coaches, the players, the trainers and the guy who runs around with Gatorade. Dissed.

Not what the protest intended? Get over it. That's what the team heard. And saw.

Do any of you think that a player with half a brain who wants to play would take a position contrary to his coach?

Back