What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Univ of Hawaii is the "Rainbow Warriors" again

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
It was stupid to change it back in 2000. Football team became the "Warriors", baseball team the "Rainbows" and basketball team stayed the "Rainbow Warriors".

Now all men's teams will be "Rainbow Warriors" and women's teams "Rainbow Wahine".

I think that's one of the cooler names in college sports. Distinctive and calls to mind both the state of Hawaii and a tradition/legend from a football game that started the name.

So much more important than being worried that some recruits will think that it's kinda gay.

Props to UH on this one.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9275321/hawaii-scraps-plan-drop-rainbow-team-nicknames

Awesome. Take back the rainbow. The idea that it was gay for a team to use it was really dumb.

Side note, I went to the 2011 game in Honolulu. If anyone gets a chance to go to the 2015 game, do it. Outside of the final score, it was great, fans are very nice. Had 5 300lb samoans in my aisle who could have gave me **** for wearing CU gear in the stadium. Instead they were super cool, wished us luck. Not to mention the women there are ridiculously hot.

The gameday experience at Aloha Stadium is kinda different. The folks there are terrific, but the stadium itself is kind of a dump, frankly. It's also nowhere near the campus. Of course, there's no land anywhere near the campus to put a stadium, so that's a bit of a problem. Maybe they could build the stadium inside Diamond Head. That would be awesome. And not too far from campus, to boot!

The gameday experience at Aloha Stadium is kinda different. The folks there are terrific, but the stadium itself is kind of a dump, frankly. It's also nowhere near the campus. Of course, there's no land anywhere near the campus to put a stadium, so that's a bit of a problem. Maybe they could build the stadium inside Diamond Head. That would be awesome. And not too far from campus, to boot!

Agree, the stadium is outdated and not near campus. But I gave it high grades for being beer and fan friendly. Also, I headed to Maui after the game so my experience is clouded by the sheer awesomeness that is Maui.

Great move by UH. Mascots or nicknames shouldn't be abolished just because a small percentage of people might find them offensive.

Last edited:
I can understand when a nickname is clearly offensive. If a team is called the Brutal Savage Squawrapist then yes it needs to change. On the other hand I never saw the use of the Rainbow Warriors as anything other than respectful of the cultural heritage of the islands. I could see them wanting to make sure that the mascots and portrail are done in a positive way but getting away from Rainbow Warriors was dumb.

I can understand when a nickname is clearly offensive. If a team is called the Brutal Savage Squawrapist then yes it needs to change. On the other hand I never saw the use of the Rainbow Warriors as anything other than respectful of the cultural heritage of the islands. I could see them wanting to make sure that the mascots and portrail are done in a positive way but getting away from Rainbow Warriors was dumb.
Mods, please change Mtn's name to "The Fightin' BruSquas!"

This is great. My old man played for them in the 1960's. I wonder if they will go back to the gold helmets.

10930180000D--rj_tie_dye_football_rainbow.jpg

Rainbow, tie-dye and RonJon- cool

It wasn't so much offensive. When June Jones came in, he brought his agent in to do a marketing deal w/ Nike. No doubt, they made a lot of moves during that time aimed at increasing the popularity of the school. Before going to Under-armor, they probably had the sweetest uni's in the country, a high flying style of play, whiched looked great for recruiting. That was the whole idea. Market the school and product to the mainland kids to get them to come play. Like it or not, most kids will get laughed at leaving the mainland to join the Rainbow Warriors. The Jones era actually made it cool to be part of the university again after some lackluster years on the field, including going to the Sugar Bowl.

The Rainbow resonates with the locals which is big and a lot of older fans got turned off when they took the Rainbow from the Warriors. I don't know what this does to them long term but they are marketing again to the locals. Will that hurt them recruiting regionally on the west coast? Time will tell. I do think there was a method to the madness for June Jones and company.

Back