What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

University of Denver to Hire Rodney Billups as Head Coach

DU alum here. Hopefully Rodney can finally pull us through to the big dance with a respectable RPI.

I would love to have DU play CU on a regular basis. Having more CU than DU fans in Magness would be embarrassing though...

DU alum here. Hopefully Rodney can finally pull us through to the big dance with a respectable RPI.

I would love to have DU play CU on a regular basis. Having more CU than DU fans in Magness would be embarrassing though...

Would also be a financial bonus to a program that needs money. DU doesn't get a lot of media money. They also don't draw a lot of fans to home games.

Playing CU would get them a full house including some fans who might just decide to come back or even buy season tickets. It would also get them good publicity since that game would get them much more attention on the local media than they usually get

Hard to draw fans when you play a boring style of ball and are terrible.

I tend to only follow CU football closely but watch the CU-Zona games. Do fans consider this a budding rivalry? Would be sweet to have a semblance of a real rivalry spill over to the football side of things.

Would also be a financial bonus to a program that needs money. DU doesn't get a lot of media money. They also don't draw a lot of fans to home games.

Playing CU would get them a full house including some fans who might just decide to come back or even buy season tickets. It would also get them good publicity since that game would get them much more attention on the local media than they usually get

Don't see it as a rivalry by any means. Wish Rodney the best. DU giving him a chance is a good gamble on their part

I tend to only follow CU football closely but watch the CU-Zona games. Do fans consider this a budding rivalry? Would be sweet to have a semblance of a real rivalry spill over to the football side of things.

Arizona is always a very intense game. I think it could become a rivalry. Will take a decade of CU being consistently good and beating them on a semi regular basis in games that matter for it to get there, though. Arizona hates ASU and competes against UCLA for recruits. Those are its constants.

DU has been bad and boring, Rodney was hired to change that.

They also have had a hard time getting the interest and imagination of fans in Denver, including their alumni and parents. DU has a pretty decent percentage of their student body that comes from the region and also that stays in the region. There is also a solid potential to get their share of the the entertainment dollar in Denver.

Playing CU would draw solid attention to them, even given that they would likely lose the majority of the games. If they can get fans in the gym they have a chance to keep them.

Don't see any kind of real rivalry forming but see DU making this a target game, their chance to beat a power conference team and to gain local attention and respect.

As to CU and Zona I could easily see that turning into a real rivalry once CU starts to regularly beat them on the field. Their primary rival will always be ASU though.

They will recruit well. I hope that Ricardo and CU mend fences, too. Had a lot of very good years with Ricardo as coach despite him being given very few resources. And the way Bohn had him coach out the final year of his contract as a lame duck with it made clear he would not be coming back the next year was bush league. I would hope that RG, Tad and Rodney can rebuild the relationship. Ricardo should be a part of CU events that celebrate the teams/players from his era.

They will recruit well. I hope that Ricardo and CU mend fences, too. Had a lot of very good years with Ricardo as coach despite him being given very few resources. And the way Bohn had him coach out the final year of his contract as a lame duck with it made clear he would not be coming back the next year was bush league. I would hope that RG, Tad and Rodney can rebuild the relationship. Ricardo should be a part of CU events that celebrate the teams/players from his era.

Couldn't agree more.

Patton is an interesting hire, if he in fact still has the energy and tactics to recruit well. He could pull the rabbit out of the hat once in a while but did not have the Xs and Os to ever be that type on the bench. His NIU teams were largely transfers including some former CU players and his rap there was that he didn't work hard enough recruiting the Chicago schools. Never won more than 10 games a season there.

His Tennessee connections were always interesting and got a few contributors here like the Harrison brothers, Glean Eddy, and Jeremy Williams. I'm sure he'll work that again and wonder if his additional CU/Chauncey past has any weight with the midmajor-type recruits on the Front Range who may otherwise be considering CSU or Wyoming.

Didn't bring him in to recruit Colorado! He disliked Colorado kids, missing on 5-6 that went on to NBA careers. They were never good enough for him. Might take years to overcome his attitude with Colorado HS coaches. And he hated that guys like Mike Frink knew far more Xs and Os that he did. He gave Frink an in-season STFU order that effectively killed his team's chances at the Dance and really started the fire that got him canned.

Back