1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on UMass to FBS & CU Scheduling

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

With recent chatter of UMass being a potential opponent for CU (rumor has been a 2-for-1 and the CU road game being at a neutral site in the Boston area), it's a program I've been keeping an eye on.

Speculation started with a Ringo article on 1/17 and today there was some chatter on Buffscoop.

From the Boulder Camera article:

Bohn said he has completed an agreement with a school in the northeast, but he can't name the school until the contract is complete. The contract calls for the opponent to visit Boulder twice and the Buffs to go on the road once.

The schedule is supposed to be announced this month, potentially all the way out through 2017.

Looks like we're going to make the UMass game happen and they should be an FBS opponent by the time we play them.

The University of Massachusetts will play a Football Championship Subdivision schedule in 2011, as it has done since the division was first created as Division I-AA in the 1970s.
    But that might serve only as transition time while UMass moves up to Football Bowl Subdivision status, with an FBS schedule by 2012 and eligibility for bowl games by 2013.

Read more...

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

That sounds like an awesome series to me. Especially with them moving up to FBS status

3. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Could make a nice tie-in with our recent connections in some of the east coast high schools.

4. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

UMass is joining the MAC for football.

5. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

What neutral site? Foxboro? It would be pretty empty. I can't think of any other football stadia in New England except college venues. Fenway? Gimmicky. Seems like it's destined to be played at UMass' home field, wherever that is.

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

In for sure. Love boston

7. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

This has been in the works for awhile now and is the type of scheduling we should be concentrating on. Good exposure for the east coast alumni against a team we may actually beat.

8. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

Yes, let's do this. I enjoy winning, home games, and cool travel destinations

2 for 1s with us being the 2 >>>>> 2 for 1 with us being the 1.

9. BehindEnemyLines

I could see the games being shifted to Foxboro.

10. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Are they any good? And now that we have a game in the New England area, it's time to get into Texas for non-conf games

11. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

My roommate from college lives on Cape Cod with his wife that he met at CU. This would be a definite must-do. New England in September = all kinds of incredibly awesome.

12. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

If the game is at Gillette Stadium..... be prepared to take a shuttle to and from the game if drinking.... it is FAR from the city of Boston.

13. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

I really like this. Gives us good exposure in a recruiting hotbed and should be a sure fire win barring a Toledo fiasco again.

14. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

New England is a recruiting hotbed??:wow:

15. Quattro

Back east (Maryland, DC, and Virginia) exposure.

16. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Boston is like a 12 hour drive from Virginia.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I know. We'll work something out. I doubt we'll actually be staying in Boston. It's more likely that we'll stay on Cape Cod to be closer to them. I love Cape Cod, BTW. One of the neatest places in the country, IMO. It's like time stopped somewhere around 1955 and never started up again. There's actually places on Cape Cod that don't accept credit cards. How crazy is that?

18. PhillyBuff

depends on where u are in Virginia!

19. PhillyBuff

I spent 2 nights in Falmouth and drove to Provincetown and had the best Lobster I have ever eaten at the "Lobster Pot."

http://www.google.com/maps?q=provincetown%20ma&layer=c&ll=42.052085,-70.185369&cbll=42.052085,-70.185369&photoid=po-2320489&z=12&ei=KDlFT5CLPKi50AGt3-mwBA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=photo-link&cd=2&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CE0Q8wEoATAB

Yes the Cape seems like it is in the 60's still.

20. Quattro

We would still get media coverage and the staff, if they are recruiting kids back east which I think they would, would be able to watch without staying up late into the night. I'm not sure what the current exposure CU has back east but I can't imagine it's very much right now.

21. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Lulz. We should play a nonconference game against New Mexico State to get into that recruiting hotbed in Dallas.

22. Quattro

Back east is a lot different than New Mexico and Dallas in terms of geography plus there is exposure for CU in the west, doubt there's much, if any back east. Point is, while the exposure isn't as good if we were playing Maryland or Syracuse, the exposure we can possibly get is better than nothing.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  23. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Houston or Rice would be nice.

24. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

In 2012 and 2013 UMass will play all its home games at Gillette

25. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

AMEN! Both schools have shown a desire to do home/home's with BCS-conference schools (both have scheduled them with UCLA, and Rice is starting one with Kansas).

26. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Absolutely!

27. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

Boston is a 8-10 hour drive from Virginia - it depends primarily on traffic through NYC. (I should know, my wife did her MA in DC while I did my MBA in Boston - did that drive more than I care to think about). Anyway, the more important thing is the time zone. Until you have been a college sports fan, specifically a fan of a Mountain or Pacific time zone team, and lived on east coast time, you have no idea how much this hurts teams out west. It's painful, the exposure is non-existent.

I always had thought "east coast bias" was something that came from the press, and that it was sort of ingrained in the media - sort of like racism. No - it's more practical than that. If you're older than 30, want to have a job, sleep more than 4-5 hours a night, and watch college sports - you can only regularly watch games and teams that usually play in the eastern or central time zones. I'll watch CU games whenever they're on, but **** watching the rest of PAC - it's time for bed. Which means I watch a lot of east coast teams. So does everyone else. Time zone matters. A lot.

(Random example: Maryland sucked badly last year. Almost all the sports fans in my office watched their games though - even though my office only has one MD fan. Why: because we could, it was easy. Almost everyone also watched the top ABC and/or ESPN Saturday games - at least the ones that started by 7 pm. Pretty much no one, aside from me and the duck, watched a single PAC game that wasn't on ABC/ESPN with a kick off before 7:30 eastern - that's 4:30 on the left coast kids.)

Another side note: the articles I read about a year ago about UMass moving up to FBS said that they had reached an agreement to play ALL their "home" games at Gillete for a few years while they expanded their stadium - so may be the "norm" for them to be playing there (or at least it will have been just a year or two before).

28. BehindEnemyLines

I wouldn't mind 1 for 1's with either UVa, MD, or even Navy. Lot's of kids in the NoVa, DC and NJ area could easily see those games, and perhaps a few could attend.

29. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

I would kill for home & home's with them - hell, the way the terps are going there would probably be more black and gold in the stadium than whatever their colors are that week. Well, leave Navy out of that list - look up "trap game" in the dictionary - you will find an entry that starts "see football games against service academies."

30. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Your 2nd paragraph is spot on when it comes to weeknight games.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012