1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA TODAY Sports' College Athletics Finances

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by 4DemBuffs, May 15, 2012.

1. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

tante likes this.
  2. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

where does the subsidy come from? student fees + school funds? Is it high because of our PAC:12 move?

3. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

If you hit the plus sign it details it. Ramped up from a normal $5.9ish million to 13+ this year so i assume that had something to do with it. Typically our scholly costs out weigh the subsidy.

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

That graphic is goofed up. It says it's from 2006-2011, yet I'm certain that's not the total for all six years. An average? It also says we're in the Big 12. Incorrect again. Is that due to the fact that we were in the Big 12 for most of those years?

5. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

i noticed that too and that was my guess.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

OK, I looked a little closer and it makes more sense now. They list all six years, but the top of the line is just from 2011. Misleading for CU, because we needed a boost in school subsidies due to the loss of revenues from the Big 12.

If you look at the numbers more closely, you'll see that the big schools like Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Florida, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St. Etc all take little to no subsidy from their schools. The smaller the school & conference, the larger the subsidy on a percentage basis. That seems to lend creedence to the argument that big time athletics does support academics - but only at the very top level. We're not there, but I suspect with the new contract, we will be soon.

7. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I give former Enron board member and current UT president Bill Powers grief, but I can only wish his quote were attributable to Bruce Benson.