What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC taps FGCU's Andy Enfield as next head coach

I can't agree with the "basketball mind" criticism of Shaka. He's been a genius with the way he's able to force tempo and disrupt the opposition. It's HARD to make that style of play work. That's why so few teams do it. I seriously question the job done at FGCU when they have been pulling in so many Power 6 transfers to have the talent advantage they do but not being dominant in their little conference. Shaka would have rolled that conference with the same roster.

My initial reaction was that this was a reaction move on USC's part, but the more that I think about it, the more I like it for them. He's not a flash in the pan - he has NBA coaching experience as well. Their defense was a thing of beauty to watch during the first two rounds of the tourney. Their offense is going to have to be refined, but we can say the same thing about Tad. Plus, his style of play is going to be a huge hit in LA, so that will help with everything there. As for recruiting, you've seen his wife. He can recruit.

I actually like this hire for USC more than I like the Alford one for UCLA.

Well it might not be a "flash in the pan" and Haden had to defend that since he knew it would come up immediately, it's his success over a few weeks which led him to be hired. A #15/16 seed first-time head coach will hardly ever make the jump from a low-major to a high major, usually he'd go to a true mid-major first. It's definitely a bit of fresh air. I do wonder if he'll be able to implement what he did at FGCU at USC. On a smaller scale, I liken this to will Chip Kelly be able to run the same offense with the Eagles. As I was watching the game against Florida, I couldn't help but notice how much Florida was able to take advantage of them, very effortlessly.

Is his NBA experience as a full-time assistant or more of a consultant? It said shooting coach which led me to believe it was more the latter.

Andy: Hi recruit, I'm Andy Enfield and this is my model wife, Amanda.
Recruit: Why is she wearing a bikini
Andy: because she is a model
Andy: Is your nose runny? Here use this $100 bill to wipe it. Did I mention I was super rich.
Amanda: Hi big boy, I'm just hanging out in practice with my model friends and we are going to have a bikini pillow fight
Recruit: *jaw on floor*
Amanda: My friends and I are going to be over here eating popsicles, bananas and hot dogs and watch you play basketball.
Recruit: I'm in.

YMSSR! :rofl:

I certainly won't argue that USC has the hottest Head Coach wives in the country. Sounds like a reality show waiting to happen.

For everyone defending this pick including Pat Haden with the "we didn't hire him based on a few weeks"... that's hard to justify, because he wouldn't even be in the conversation otherwise. Not too many people go straight from a low-major to a power conference in the 2nd biggest city in a few weeks. In most cases, he'd atleast make a stop at a Missouri Valley, A-10, or Mountain West school before hitting it big-time. I think this a high-risk, high-reward pick. With Alford, say what you want about the hire, you know what you are getting. Will his style of play work in the Pac-12 or will he adjust. From watch the Florida game, I think he'll have to adjust. Nonetheless, should make USC's visits to Boulder more exciting.

Tad Boyle says hi...Northern Colorado in the Big Sky conference was not exactly a mid-major step up like you were referring to. I think its fairly impressive to have his team competing at that level given FGCU has had a team for all of six years. Granted most of us had similar concerns at the time.

Guy just seems to be a winner. Good, smart player in college. Quality assistant experience in the league. Went into an unrelated field and was successful enough to make millions before going back to his dream of a being a coach...and convinced a super-model to marry him along the way. Then as head coach took a fledgling program with zero history to the Sweet 16, a feat few coaches ever achieve. With that track record I'm not sure how much I'd want to bet against him.

Tad Boyle says hi...Northern Colorado in the Big Sky conference was not exactly a mid-major step up like you were referring to. I think its fairly impressive to have his team competing at that level given FGCU has had a team for all of six years. Granted most of us had similar concerns at the time.

Guy just seems to be a winner. Good, smart player in college. Quality assistant experience in the league. Went into an unrelated field and was successful enough to make millions before going back to his dream of a being a coach...and convinced a super-model to marry him along the way. Then as head coach took a fledgling program with zero history to the Sweet 16, a feat few coaches ever achieve. With that track record I'm not sure how much I'd want to bet against him.
It's a fair point.

A few things though- when Tad was hired, USC was definitely a better job. As you alluded to we had similar concerns. Colorado was hiring a Colorado guy. Let's be honest Tad Boyle wouldn't have been hired as head coach by any other BCS program out of Northern Colorado, besides CU. It be a bit different if let's say he was going from FGCU to Miami.

Btw, he and FGCU both disputed he was very wealthy. It's possible, he'll be worth millions.

As I said, while he might not be a "flash in the pan," the only reason you can justify this hire is because of that. If GTown bounces them as what happens 96% of the time, were not having this convo.

Also, I stated previously, I think he'll either be incredibly successful or big a failure. Maybe it will be in-between. But I see this as a game-changer move, which could blow up.

Enfield had a solid resume prior to FGCU and they did have a good season this year but had they not beaten Georgetown he wouldn't even be on UCS's radar. Should winning one game really be the difference between landing a job vs not even being considered for that job? I've never been a fan of 'flavor of the week' hires.

Don't under-sell how well Tad was known outside the frontrange. Many of the bball fans down here knew who he was when CU hired him.

Boyle and his UNC squad gave the boomers all they could handle in an ooc contest in Norman. The locals I talked to remembered Tad's team as being tough, disciplined, and played well as a team.

Enfield had a solid resume prior to FGCU and they did have a good season this year but had they not beaten Georgetown he wouldn't even be on UCS's radar. Should winning one game really be the difference between landing a job vs not even being considered for that job? I've never been a fan of 'flavor of the week' hires.
That's where I stand. He's more qualified than he appeared. But Haden can't possibly say he was a prime candidate prior to a month ago. Good chance IMO he hadn't even heard of him.

Don't under-sell how well Tad was known outside the frontrange. Many of the bball fans down here knew who he was when CU hired him.

Boyle and his UNC squad gave the boomers all they could handle in an ooc contest in Norman. The locals I talked to remembered Tad's team as being tough, disciplined, and played well as a team.
Ok again, the big difference was UNC is right down the road. This would be comparable (and it's not really, because it was much more reputable at the time) to FSU hiring him out of UNC.

Tad would never go from UNC to another BCS school besides Colorado. Enfield probably could've gone to other programs such as Minnesota or Rutgers.

USC hired Tony Bland of SDSU to be their #1 assistant. They are now going to start killing it in SoCal recruiting. Bland was the main reason that SDSU was after the guys it was lately (and they got Dakarai Allen by beating us out for him).

USC hired Tony Bland of SDSU to be their #1 assistant. They are now going to start killing it in SoCal recruiting. Bland was the main reason that SDSU was after the guys it was lately (and they got Dakarai Allen by beating us out for him).

So he's adding spice to their recruiting? (couldn't resist)

Back