What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC WR Travon Patterson is a Buff!

this guy any good though? Didn't seem to get much playing time at USC. Why should we be excited?

Really? Don't you think that if SC is interested in ANYBODY, they're gonna be at least halfway decent? Hell I bet half the talent they sign doesn't get much more than 2 full seasons of playing time during their 4 year careers at SC.

It's impossible to tell how well he will play. He is definitely a player in some way, shape, or form. If he wasnt, SC wouldnt have ever tried to get him. I have a good feeling about this guy though. My hope is he immediately upgrades punt and kickoff return units and stretches the field from the wr position. Hell, I hope he can take the short passes and do something with it besides getting 5 yards. We need the electric playmaker type on O and hopefully he is one of those guys.

Just because USC signs a star high school athlete who rarely sees action at USC, does not necessarily mean he can be a star FBS athlete elsewhere.

It's great news, because in no way can the addition of Patterson hurt...but we have to see something from him before getting too overly excited. Gotta like his speed, though.

Just because USC signs a star high school athlete who rarely sees action at USC, does not necessarily mean he can be a star FBS athlete elsewhere.

It's great news, because in no way can the addition of Patterson hurt...but we have to see something from him before getting too overly excited. Gotta like his speed, though.

I don't think anyone is getting overly excited.

I don't think anyone is getting overly excited.

I feel kind of like we got Josh Smith back, except he's more mature, a bit faster, a couple inches shorter, and works hard.

My expectation is that we have settled the punt return situation with a guy who could be special for us there. And we've found a WR who could be anything between a ghost and a weapon, but will definitely make our WR corp deeper and more dangerous.

I feel kind of like we got Josh Smith back, except he's more mature, a bit faster, a couple inches shorter, and works hard.

My expectation is that we have settled the punt return situation with a guy who could be special for us there. And we've found a WR who could be anything between a ghost and a weapon, but will definitely make our WR corp deeper and more dangerous.

I hope so, I looked at his scout profile, pretty impressive. He was good talent out of high school. a reason SC offered him, SC doesn't offer "projects".

http://colorado.scout.com/a.z?s=148&p=8&c=1&nid=1812905

Last edited:

yeah, something like that. or: it's like landing a Diante Jackson minus the academics...given how hot many on the board were for DJ. seems like Patterson is a legit 4 star player (other offers were UofA, Oregon, O State)....which may not quite be the USC skill position norm (a guy SC beat UF or Texas for), but he'll play for us if he's got a lunchpail and a twinkle in his eye.

Reason I am excited, He is a senior coming from a WINNING team. There is hardly anyone on the roster that has had a winning season at the college level (Clemons is the only one I can think of). I hope he brings in an attitude of winning and it spreads through the entire team like a wild fire.

Last edited:
Here's a Scout article from back in September 2005: http://colorado.scout.com/2/432449.html

Patterson Told He Can Play Immediately at CU

by Andrew Friedman (AZ - who was the Scout publisher at the time)

Colorado needs a serious dose of speed at the receiver position and a player like Travon Patterson from Long Beach Poly could be the remedy. CU is showing a lot of interest in Patterson and the wideout believes he could help the Buffs.

206623.jpg

Here are a couple quotes of Patterson from the article:

"I also have verbal offers from Colorado and Washington," he explains.

"I do like Colorado, too. Coach Hagan says that I could play right away with my speed. He says they could really use me."

We did not make his Top 6 at the time, though, and a written offer never materialized.

What will give Travon Patterson the best chance of success as a Buff?
A. Working on the little things
B. Cinching things up a little
C. Getting his horns out
D. Bringing his lunch pail
E. Other

Last edited:
Just thought about something. The star recruits we get end up transfering, and the star recruits we strike out on, we get back. Watch Dinate Jackson will be a buff before his college career is over, lol.

Can we get Landry Jones some how too?

What will give Travon Patterson the best chance of success as a Buff?
A. Working on the little things
B. Cinching things up a little
C. Getting his horns out
D. Bringing his lunch pail

E. Pounding the concrete

Besides adding speed, experience, stretching the field, etc I hope hecan block and brings a work ethic and a luch pail attitude.

Good news, hope he can help, he's got some speed. Hope simmons can play, losing simas hurts. Just think, we could have Mcknight,simas, simmons, Josh smith, clemons , celestine if things didn't go astray.

What about 4.4 speed and enough skills to be recruited by USC in the first place don't you understand? No guarantee he'll make an impact but c'mon...

how fast you run doesn't make you a good receiver. You have to run routes, have great quickness, know hot routes when the blitz is coming, be able to get off the line of scrimmage against pressure and CATCH THE BALL. Not saying this is a bad thing and I'm happy he picked us but to start projecting where he's on the depth chart is a bit premature in my book. Let's see how he does on the field and in practice first.

how fast you run doesn't make you a good receiver. You have to run routes, have great quickness, know hot routes when the blitz is coming, be able to get off the line of scrimmage against pressure and CATCH THE BALL. Not saying this is a bad thing and I'm happy he picked us but to start projecting where he's on the depth chart is a bit premature in my book. Let's see how he does on the field and in practice first.

Mutually exclusive.

Kinda off topic sorta but was looking at the roster on the official site and they have Ussery listed at safety. Anybody know when they made this move? I know he went back home for awhile and havent heard much about him since.

Kinda off topic sorta but was looking at the roster on the official site and they have Ussery listed at safety. Anybody know when they made this move? I know he went back home for awhile and havent heard much about him since.

Announced around the beginning of the summer when it was reported that Ussery was back. Kind of surprised me. Only thing I can think of is that he's got that history of concussions and maybe it made more sense to be able to see what he hits and dish it out instead of taking the risk at WR of being an unprotected player getting teed off on.

Ic well Im cool with it if he can play there. If his size is right, I dont mind a 6'3" 225 pound safety. We used to have those in better days.

Back