What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC's HC Plans (Sark to USC)

I think, with the advent of a college playoff on the horizon, Udub should hire Jim Mora SR.

Playoffs?!?!?

I have to believe that the UW and USC chaos can only serve to help us even if it's just a little. I'm not expecting miracles. BUT our staff has to be busting their asses to get a good WR in here. Unless they think they have a weapon already on the roster (I don't see it).

I think, with the advent of a college playoff on the horizon, Udub should hire Jim Mora SR.

Playoffs?!?!?

Don't be knockin' former Buff assistant coachs!

Thought Sark was frontrunner here, so I'm not that surprised, except for the Orgeron success, which had to turn some heads among U$C alums.

Sark has shown he's a solid mediocre coach. Glad to have him in LaLa Land. Does create some confusion and hesitation that could be to the Buffs' advantage.

Why does´t Sark have to sit for a year? Same conference, under contract .... you get where I´m going.

What Orgeron did manage to do was set up Sark for a lot more pressure early. Had he lost a few more games or been less popular the fans would have given Sark more time and patience to win.

Now there will be a significant element of the fan base who will hold Orgeron over Sarks head. Every time they lose a game that the fans think should have been won the response will be that "Orgeron would have won this game, if we had hired Ed this wouldn't be happening."

There may also be some sentiment among the players that "Sark isn't Ed." If things aren't going well the rumblings in the locker room and with the fans wishing for Ed may make it hard on Sark.

Orgeron got USC to more conference wins this year than Sark has ever had.

Interesting development.

I like that USC fans are seemingly not happy.

UW fans are split on this, but with a good hire you may see a united UW fan base again next year (there was a large fracture this year on the boards at least).

I'm just going to enjoy the ride the next few days or weeks. Should be interesting. I'm really pretty indifferent right now. I'm much more concerned about losing Wilcox and Tosh than I am with losing Sark. I'm thankful to all those guys for the time they put in, they left UW in better shape than they found it.

I'm thankful for Sark getting UW back to respectable. He has left us with a ton of quality depth on our roster. With the new facilities I think UW is still in a good position to take strides forward. I wish Sark well when he's not playing UW. His stress levels are about to go through the roof at USC. 8 win seasons will get you fired there.

I'm shocked USC thinks a coach with four consecutive 5-4 conference seasons is the guy for their job.

Sark is a corpse at USC. He is not good enough. 3 years and out and Haden is right behind him. This is a great hire for us. Chaos at UW and USC.

Orgeron got USC to more conference wins this year than Sark has ever had.

Interesting development.

I like that USC fans are seemingly not happy.

UW fans are split on this, but with a good hire you may see a united UW fan base again next year (there was a large fracture this year on the boards at least).

I'm just going to enjoy the ride the next few days or weeks. Should be interesting. I'm really pretty indifferent right now. I'm much more concerned about losing Wilcox and Tosh than I am with losing Sark. I'm thankful to all those guys for the time they put in, they left UW in better shape than they found it.

I'm thankful for Sark getting UW back to respectable. He has left us with a ton of quality depth on our roster. With the new facilities I think UW is still in a good position to take strides forward. I wish Sark well when he's not playing UW. His stress levels are about to go through the roof at USC. 8 win seasons will get you fired there.

I'm shocked USC thinks a coach with four consecutive 5-4 conference seasons is the guy for their job.
So who is it gonna be? Nussmeier, maybe make a run at Pinkel? Mora, Jr.?

Hmmmm - Pinkel is an interesting thought. Maybe now that HaLk is gone, we might be able to stay within 50 of one of his teams...
Pinkel is a Don James protege', but he is a little ong in the tooth and has a good gig at Mizzou

Orgeron to UW would be amazing

Mora goes to UW. UCLA gives Graham his "dream job". ASsU finds that Orgeron has all the stability, class and respect for rules that it values in a head coach and brings him to Tempe. Oregon kinda wishes it could get into the act, distracts itself with picking from the 250 new uniform options Nike has given them for a bowl game none of them care about. Cal smokes another bowl to avoid thinking about the fact that they were in this game last year and picked Sonny ****ing Dykes. Fun for everyone!

Sark is a corpse at USC. He is not good enough. 3 years and out and Haden is right behind him. This is a great hire for us. Chaos at UW and USC.

I would call it a very mediocre hire. Willingham failed at UW, and went winless in the last year, but they fired him midway thru that campaign. There's no chance the talent level was at a level that was "winless".

Sark's Conference record at UW:

4-5
5-4
5-4
5-4
5-4

I get that Hayden probably personally knows him and trusts him, but that record is questionable at best.

I love the hire for us.

I would call it a very mediocre hire. Willingham failed at UW, and went winless in the last year, but they fired him midway thru that campaign. There's no chance the talent level was at a level that was "winless".

Sark's Conference record at UW:

4-5
5-4
5-4
5-4
5-4

I get that Hayden probably personally knows him and trusts him, but that record is questionable at best.

I love the hire for us.

Considering our results against UW and USC over the last several years, I don't see how you can say it is good for us. It may or may not be good for USC but Sark's had no problem beating us.

A "great" hire for us because USC and UW are just going to fall off the map. Sometime soon. Maybe.

It just rearranged the top half of the conference some. That's all. The large gap between those teams did not magically close today.

You (NWBuff) are looking backwards and I am looking forwards.
We don't have to beat USC in the next three years, but we have to make gains.

A poor hire will allow us to make gains, as compared to a home-run hire. The gap will close during Sark's time.

So who is it gonna be? Nussmeier, maybe make a run at Pinkel? Mora, Jr.?

No clue. I've heard Pinkel turned us down in 2008 and does not want to start all over again. Great job and is in the SEC, I don't see it.

I'm just going to enjoy the ride is all I can say.

Sark leaving hurts short term for sure. We'll lose commits, maybe even players. He left us with a full cupboard and top notch facilities. I'm thankful to him for his time here and have no ill will for his taking a better job moving to a place his family wants to be.

It's a little bittersweet. As mentioned by a Husky poster on another board, it's a bit like your girlfriend leaving you before you could dump her. It's weird.

You realize it's going to require some improvements on our staff's part... right?

Robinson was mediocre during Mac's time, which opened the door for Mac to steal all kinds of guys from their backyard.

I'm not impressed with Sark, even if he did beat us easily while at UW.

Well, I am pretty sure Sark is an improvement over Kiffin. So, maybe we are in better shape than we would have been had USC hired some mythical head coach but we're further behind than we were a couple of months ago.

I don't see this as a positive or negative for us. We're still so far behind that it's irrelevant.

Well at least you are actually acknowledging recruiting blue chip players is important.

Well at least you are actually acknowledging recruiting blue chip players is important.

I've never said it wasn't important. What I maintain is that when you are closer to 120th than 1st in actual play (for 10 years), that you aren't going to likely recruit in the top 35 in terms of rankings. Once you get outside that, recruiting rankings haven't really correlated with future improvement. I can't find too many recent major improvements in programs that did it with big boosts in their recruit ratings. So my comments have always been a reaction to the "we are never going to improve if we continue to recruit at this level" calls, followed by "fire the coaches", "the sky is falling", etc.

If you think I'm saying HCMM wouldn't trade his class for USC's class, you are mistaken. He ain't dumb, he's just handicapped.

A "great" hire for us because USC and UW are just going to fall off the map. Sometime soon. Maybe.

It just rearranged the top half of the conference some. That's all. The large gap between those teams did not magically close today.

Instability at the top is good for CU right now. USC and UW in flux, Oregon boosters questioning the Helfrich decision, UCLA a big question mark on whether they'll pay big tent money. Whittingham's job security called into question after the past few seasons. All good for CU. Graham and Rich Rod staying at ASU and UA for much longer is bad for CU. We need turmoil while CU is (for once) the program that's stable, supported by the administration, and showing progress that parents and high school coaches trust.

In short, we need to be Oregon State for a little while. Recruiting ain't the reason they've had the 3rd best win % in the Pac for the past decade.

Stability is important, no doubt about it.

Just saying this staff is going to have to make strides in all areas for us to close the gap. Can they? I think so.

Back