What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC's HC Plans (Sark to USC)

I don't see Pinkel leaving an SEC job that he's having success at.

Success? If the last two years has taught us anything, anyone can win in the SEC. I suspect we'd be playing for an SEC championship this year or next if we'd gone there instead of the Pac.

Success? If the last two years has taught us anything, anyone can win in the SEC. I suspect we'd be playing for an SEC championship this year or next if we'd gone there instead of the Pac.

No doubt. Heck, we beat Washington State in their building last year and they were within one score of winning at Auburn this year. Got to figure that a 4-8 Pac-12 team is good enough for at least 7-5 in the SEC.

Not a great hire, but not bad either imo. I don't get all this stuff about Sark being a bad coach. He took a god awful UW team to a 7 win team pretty quickly, he just had trouble beating Stanford/Oregon and seemed to always lose 1-2 P12 games a year he shouldn't have. I hope in 5 years we're talking about how disappointed we are in Mac because we've won only 7 games a year for the last 4 years.

Not a great hire, but not bad either imo.

Yeah, I see Sark as having a high floor, the question is if what he did at Washington was his ceiling. At USC he'll have the talent he needs, but is he a coach that always lays an egg or two that keeps them from approaching a real title chance.

Yeah, I see Sark as having a high floor, the question is if what he did at Washington was his ceiling. At USC he'll have the talent he needs, but is he a coach that always lays an egg or two that keeps them from approaching a real title chance.

Sark seems like Barnett. Both are (were) solid coaches that almost guaranteed good seasons, but you could also almost guarantee at least two or three losses. As good as he was, I never felt that Barnett would return CU to "dominance" as he promised. Then again, Sark will have a ton of talent at SC. Will be interesting.

The thing with Sark that's so appealing to USC is that he's got the recruiting and offensive chops with a great connection to recent USC glory days... but while he fits in the USC culture so well he's also an extremely likeable guy. Pretty much the opposite personality as Lane in terms of how he treats people.

I can totally see this working.

On the other hand, I also just described why Rick Neuheisel was considered a good hire at UCLA.

Here is what I know about Sark from a friend who's son plays on the D-Line at UW.
1. He has a major drinking problem.
2. He has regular melt downs in practice. Multiple times he has walked off the practice field, jumped in his car, and drove home, leaving the assistants to finish practice and whatever post practice work needed to take place.
3. Has "his guys" on the team, and doesn't even talk to the other players, or call them by their name.

There is a pretty big group of parents who drew a line in the sand this year. "If he's not gone by the end of the season, we're transferring".

He needed 10 wins to keep his job this year, and got extremely lucky with the USC sitch.

Here is what I know about Sark from a friend who's son plays on the D-Line at UW.
2. He has regular melt downs in practice. Multiple times he has walked off the practice field, jumped in his car, and drove home, leaving the assistants to finish practice and whatever post practice work needed to take place.
3. Has "his guys" on the team, and doesn't even talk to the other players, or call them by their name.

There is a pretty big group of parents who drew a line in the sand this year. "If he's not gone by the end of the season, we're transferring".

He needed 10 wins to keep his job this year, and got extremely lucky with the USC sitch.

What is his drink of choice? Would it be bad form to send a bottle to him every now and again? You know, as a pick me up.

This dubious line forced me to discount the rest of your statement.

USC has a problem. With Petey, they were world beaters. They had guys playing on their scout team that would be starters for 90% of D-1 schools. With every coach they hire since then, they are trying to re-create that magic. They had the bar of expectations set so high, that reaching it will be close to impossible. Another thing to consider is the fact that while Petey was at USC, the rest of the conference was entirely average. Cal was probably the next best team. Stanford didn't get really good until just a few years ago. Oregon is very much the same way. Now, the rest of the conference is a lot better, and they have to play nine conference games instead of 8. None of this bodes well for any incoming coach.

Sark will probably do OK. They're USC, afterall. They have advantages we can only dream of having. Still, I think he'll be the victim of Petey's success to a certain degree. A string of 8-4 seasons will get him fired.

Pac-12 is better now than it was during Pete's run at USC. I don't think it would have mattered, though. When the NFL is drafting a college team's mop up duty back-up QB, the talent is simply overwhelming. No one's got talent like that.

Quick point of clarification - the Pac always played 9 conference games. Biggest change is the addition of the championship game, which would have added an extra tough game against a ranked team for USC in those Petey years. Thinking back, it may have actually put him in an extra national title game or two with the extra quality win and national spotlight game at the end.

The thing with Sark that's so appealing to USC is that he's got the recruiting and offensive chops with a great connection to recent USC glory days... but while he fits in the USC culture so well he's also an extremely likeable guy. Pretty much the opposite personality as Lane in terms of how he treats people.

I can totally see this working.

On the other hand, I also just described why Rick Neuheisel was considered a good hire at UCLA.

I think Sark's seat was getting a little warm in Seattle, just like Rick's was in Boulder 2 decades ago. Good move for him to bail. I think he'll have USC getting 8-10 wins every year, but I don't see him as a national championship level coach. I was really underwhelmed with the Huskies' performance this year. It was a tough schedule, but he went 0-4 against the premier teams in the league, despite having a roster of blue chip recruits, an experienced QB, a stable staff, and an established system in year 5 under his guidance. Honestly, Graham and Mora showed me more in year 2 at their respective schools.

As I think more about the hire of Sark the more it seems like USC got desperate and paniced.

They flew out to Denver and intereviewed Del Rio, he decided to stay in the pros.

The targeted Sumlin certain he would jump, he didn't.

The went after Peterson and he decided to stay at Boise.

Hayden had not expected one of them to turn him down much less three and didn't want the process to drag on with more rejections. He got word Sark might be interested, reached out, got a positive response and jumped.

Now to see how it works out.

The meltdowns and leaving practice thing has been reported by the media. Not sure how many times it's happened but the media seemed to gloss over it, which was weird.

EDIT: Found at least one of the reports:

Late in Wednesday’s practice, Keith Price ran a QB keeper up the middle inside the 10-yard line and nose tackle Danny Shelton hit him in the knee. Price went to the ground temporarily then got up. His coach spent more time on the field.Steve Sarkisian threw his visor off, fell to the ground and was flat on his back for several seconds. He got up, told one of the managers to blow the air horn three times — which signifies the end of practice — and walked off the field alone. Along the way, he announced, “No one is talking” as he passed a Washington sports information staffer.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/uwsports/2013/08/14/furiouse-sarkisian-ends-practice-early/
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The meltdowns and leaving practice thing has been reported by the media. Not sure how many times it's happened but the media seemed to gloss over it, which was weird.

EDIT: Found at least one of the reports:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/uwsports/2013/08/14/furiouse-sarkisian-ends-practice-early/
[/QUOTE]
Based on that story I am not sure I honestly blame him for that. It is inexcusable to hit a starting QB in practice like that, especially at the knees. I remember reading on here from someone who attended one of our closed practices that one of our DBs hit PRich late after already going into the end zone and I cringed.

I think the Sark hire at USC was fairly average. He is a good recruiter and questionable at getting his team ready at times (like losing to WSU last year). Although Pete Carroll was a questionable hire when they got him.

The UW job will be very attractive - they will pay a top dollar and they have talent so it is not a turn around situation. Probably one of the top 25 jobs in the country.

As an aside, did anybody know that Keith Price is a first cousin to CU's own twins B-Wil and Ashley?

SIAP...there's probably a thread on it somewhere.

After thinking abou tit, I really hope fUCLA loses Mora to UW. fUCLA seems to struggle to find quality coaches, and Mora is pretty good IMO. Much rather see him 50% of the time rather than 100%.

I think the Sark hire at USC was fairly average. He is a good recruiter and questionable at getting his team ready at times (like losing to WSU last year). Although Pete Carroll was a questionable hire when they got him.

The UW job will be very attractive - they will pay a top dollar and they have talent so it is not a turn around situation. Probably one of the top 25 jobs in the country.

I think Washington is the 2nd best job in the Pac-12.

My top 5:

1. USC
2. Washington
3. UCLA
4. Oregon
5. Arizona State

My top 5:

1. USC
2. Washington
3. UCLA
4. Oregon
5. Arizona State
They've got history, great fan support, and a brand new stadium/facilities. Extremely dangerous program. And that's not even mentioning the talent that Sark has stockpiled there over the last few years.

Awful move by USC. Orgeron was their next legendary coach. He proved it. Ridiculous, superficial decision on par with CU's hire of water bottle. I'd be embarrassed to be a USC grad today. Sark is a 39 year-old teenager. Orgeron is a guy who could actually get the job done in Boulder. Dude lives in a hotel and hasn't seen his wife in six months.

Awful move by USC. Orgeron was their next legendary coach. He proved it. Ridiculous, superficial decision on par with CU's hire of water bottle. I'd be embarrassed to be a USC grad today. Sark is a 39 year-old teenager. Orgeron is a guy who could actually get the job done in Boulder. Dude lives in a hotel and hasn't seen his wife in six months.

Orgeron was also really good in Sling Blade. You'd think that his movie star status would have made him a popular choice in L.A.

Maybe the failure of Daniel Tosh soured USC on that approach, though.

For the record, I'd be embarrassed to be a USC grad on any day.

Have you ever met one of those douches?

Didn't Eddie O threaten to beat the **** out of a neighbor in Oxford, MS? I am sure he'd fit right in if he came to Boulder.

Word in seattle is they are offering to double Mora's salary to get him to come home. He had a horrible experience in Seattle with the Seahawks, i would think this time around in his "Dream job" things would go much more smoothly.

Opinions are all over the map up here on Sark, in my experience and I moved here in 2009 before his first season he never really sold himself as bleeding Husky purple, I have attended at least 4 home games every season Sark has been here including his upset of then #2 USC lead by now Seattle city hero Pete Carroll on a soggy Seattle saturday a few years back. He says all the right things but he never seemed to believe what even he was saying.

I think Udub will end up better off for his departure. This article is GREAT read on Sark's tenure and I tend to agree he has underachieved even with coming from 0-12.
http://seattletimes.com/html/budwithers/2022382058_withers03xml.html

My top 5:

1. USC
2. Washington
3. UCLA
4. Oregon
5. Arizona State

I would not put UCLA that high. It is in a prime recruiting area but tends not to have the support for Football that other programs have.

Back