What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UT QB Connor Wood transfers to CU!

What this may do is buy Dillon a redshirt year and then potentially a year as the #1 back-up before taking over the job as the starter. All based on what we expect his development to be of course.

It sounds great to the kid to be able to play right away and in some cases the team doesn't have much of a choice but the transition from HS to FBS level competition is huge no matter who the kid is and how good he was in HS. Given a year to hit the weights, to practice against bigger, faster, more skilled players, to learn a system and techniques far in advance of what was required in HS is almost always a huge benefit.

I know that Dillon is a competitor and wants to play but I would guess that in the back of his mind he knows that this is the best thing for him.

The one who has to be somewhat dissapointed is Hirsch who looked to be the primary back-up this year and then step in as the odds on favorite next season, now he will have to win that job going forward. UBL puts it well though in that if he can't deal with the competition for his spot I'm not sure I want him competing for us on the field against PAC12 opponents.

Agreed on the video. That was bad....

However, Lets go WOOD!
th_woot.gif

Looks like FSN films thier high school footage too.

Open and honest competition should be welcomed by all with the winner mentality. As CU saw in the end of the Mac years a lot can happen with quarterbacks getting injured and needing a talented backup to step in and lead the team. Unfortunately the end of the Mac years are also the last time we were in the lead for the nation's best QB prospects. Would feel great to get that tradition of talent excellence there going again, along with our linebackers, our running backs, our punters...

Open and honest competition should be welcomed by all with the winner mentality. As CU saw in the end of the Mac years a lot can happen with quarterbacks getting injured and needing a talented backup to step in and lead the team. Unfortunately the end of the Mac years are also the last time we were in the lead for the nation's best QB prospects. Would feel great to get that tradition of talent excellence there going again, along with our linebackers, our running backs, our punters...

And our corners. We've had great history there with two thorpe winners.

Well, admittedly, this is some pretty limited film we've seen. I'm sure there is better film out there, he had to do more than this to get offers from Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Notre Dame

Probably true, but I didn't see a single throw he made that wasn't off his back foot, with a low release point. Kinda looks like a right-handed Tebow pass (forced in a shot-put style), although I'd submit that I wouldn't be too disappointed if this kid turned out to be as good of a college player as Tebow was.

How is this gonna work for him? He should probably be in class tomorrow before he falls even more behind. When and how is he gonna move all of his **** from texas? Where will he live? Sounds like a crazy few days ahead!

How is this gonna work for him? He should probably be in class tomorrow before he falls even more behind. When and how is he gonna move all of his **** from texas? Where will he live? Sounds like a crazy few days ahead!
Parents have house in Denver. Have lots of $. $ solves these sort of problems.

Hirsch still has the advantage for next year but there is a reason Wood was rated as high as number 3 pro style QB and received offers from Bama, ND, etc... I put the race at a 50/40/10 for Hirsch/Wood/Dillon right now. I think Embree will really want to RS Dillon.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ansferring-texas-longhorns-colorado-buffaloes

"I want to thank coach (Mack) Brown, coach (Bryan) Harsin, all of the coaches, and my teammates for the opportunity to play at a great school like the University of Texas," Wood said. "I loved playing for UT and gave it my all, but I felt I needed to seek a new opportunity. I will always cherish the memories and friends I developed as a Longhorn, but I'm excited about the next chapter in my life and looking forward to playing at the University of Colorado."

"We appreciate everything Connor has brought to our program," Brown said. "He is a tremendous young man and is a great teammate and student. We hate to see him leave, but at the same time we understand his desire to play. We hope for nothing but the best for him and look forward to following his career at Colorado."

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts for us next year - he is really good. At the very least the competition will be at a very high level.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts for us next year - he is really good. At the very least the competition will be at a very high level.

That's exactly what we need. I don't care if the kid ever really starts, I hope he does. But if Hirsch is the best QB you know Embree will play him, same if it's Wood or who ever else. As long as their are guys to push each other to get better, we will only get better.

From a Texas fan perspective, Wood was just the victim of lots of good prospects and not enough snaps to go around. Athletically, he's probably closer to a dual threat than a pro style. He played basketball in high school and had no difficulty with two handed dunks flat footed. He has very good short area quickness and great hops, but apparently lacks somewhat in top speed.

He fell down on the depth chart because he reportedly had accuracy and consistency issues. It's quite possible that he just needs more snaps to iron those out. He was always going to need some time to make the adjustment from small private high school competition. High schools in Texas can't recruit, and 2nd Baptist is far from a football factory. He's a very smart kid, was on a schedule to early graduation apparently. I haven't heard a bad word about him, and pretty much everybody in the Texas fan base hopes he does well wherever he goes.

From a Texas fan perspective, Wood was just the victim of lots of good prospects and not enough snaps to go around. Athletically, he's probably closer to a dual threat than a pro style. He played basketball in high school and had no difficulty with two handed dunks flat footed. He has very good short area quickness and great hops, but apparently lacks somewhat in top speed.

He fell down on the depth chart because he reportedly had accuracy and consistency issues. It's quite possible that he just needs more snaps to iron those out. He was always going to need some time to make the adjustment from small private high school competition. High schools in Texas can't recruit, and 2nd Baptist is far from a football factory. He's a very smart kid, was on a schedule to early graduation apparently. I haven't heard a bad word about him, and pretty much everybody in the Texas fan base hopes he does well wherever he goes.

thanx for the post. Have you seen he play?

Here is a gem of a post from Cams Chorizo on the colorado prep board regarding whether CSU would want Wood:

"considering they have a 4* kid who has a year starting under his belt in the system, I wouldn't see why a 4th string back up would want to transfer to Fort Collins. And with the Washington Gatorade player of year and 3* QB in Grayson and another 3* QB out of Texas in Smith, my guess is that he wouldn't be needed in Fort Collins."

Here is a gem of a post from Cams Chorizo on the colorado prep board regarding whether CSU would want Wood:

"considering they have a 4* kid who has a year starting under his belt in the system, I wouldn't see why a 4th string back up would want to transfer to Fort Collins. And with the Washington Gatorade player of year and 3* QB in Grayson and another 3* QB out of Texas in Smith, my guess is that he wouldn't be needed in Fort Collins."

holy ****, their entire fan base has brain damage.

So I'm wondering with all of the QB problems Texas is having so far this season, do you think Connor Wood would have received playing time this season? I wonder if he's wishing he didn't transfer.

So I'm wondering with all of the QB problems Texas is having so far this season, do you think Connor Wood would have received playing time this season? I wonder if he's wishing he didn't transfer.

I was thinking this as well. I don't think he regrets transferring because Mack Brown will find a way to get Gilbert Grape the starting job again, but I bet the UT coaching staff is missing him now.

I don't think so. If he had a hard time getting reps before, it probably would be even worse now.

Also, everyone's thinking it already, they want Case McCoy to be the long time starter.

Texas has frequently underperformed their talent over the Brown era.

I think one of the big reasons is that personel decisions seem to be made based on politics and coaching favortism rather than performance and ability.

I think one of the big reasons is that personel decisions seem to be made based on politics and coaching favortism rather than performance and ability.

Other than one special year with Vince Young, UT has never performed to its talent level under Brown.

Exactly. The best example is Chris Simms over Major Applewhite.

My worst nightmare is Gilbert starting again - this is like Hawkins/Hansen Texas edition.

I don't think so. If he had a hard time getting reps before, it probably would be even worse now.

Also, everyone's thinking it already, they want Case McCoy to be the long time starter.

:yeahthat:

Since his last name isn't 'McCoy' and Mack Brown doesn't have a man crush on him, he was never gonna get any playing time at UT. Their loss.

Back