What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UT to review dorm named after Klan Member

Since there has been a lot of mudslinging from the state of Texas aimed at our great school I though you guys would enjoy this article in the Austin American Statesman http://www.statesman.com/news/local/ut-panel-to-review-dorm-named-for-klan-733049.html Fire away!

Didn't CU have a chow hall/dorm named after a famous killer of indigenous people? Just sayin'...

I'd rather sling mud at the ridiculousness of this "oh hells no...we're not takin' no outta staters with us to the Pac 10" bull****.

Didn't CU have a chow hall/dorm named after a famous killer of indigenous people? Just sayin'...

I'd rather sling mud at the ridiculousness of this "oh hells no...we're not takin' no outta staters with us to the Pac 10" bull****.

Are you talking about the Packer Grill? Not the same thing as a dorm, just a nickname for a campus cafe. Plus he didn't kill indigenous people, he did eat parts of his travelling companions (not native American, BTW) when they were all snowbound and some had starved to death. He was a survivor and an opportunist, and some people think it was impolite to eat the liver of dead companions to survive, but I don't think he was accused of killing them, just recycling them. A true Boulderite.

Are you talking about the Packer Grill? Not the same thing as a dorm, just a nickname for a campus cafe. Plus he didn't kill indigenous people, he did eat parts of his travelling companions (not native American, BTW) when they were all snowbound and some had starved to death. He was a survivor and an opportunist, and some people think it was impolite to eat the liver of dead companions to survive, but I don't think he was accused of killing them, just recycling them. A true Boulderite.

Nichols Hall

I just thought the article was funny because UT puts out this aura/vibe that they are just superior to everybody in everything but just like any other school they have their own problems/blemishes too. Anyway I thought you guys would enjoy it.

Imagine an Allbuffer named "Alferd" defending Packer the Cannibal. But no, in this case 66 is right--it was Nichols.

I just thought the article was funny because UT puts out this aura/vibe that they are just superior to everybody in everything but just like any other school they have their own problems/blemishes too. Anyway I thought you guys would enjoy it.

The best Allbuffs threads take on a life of their own, and seldom in a direction that was intended. It was a good submission.

This from the comments section:

William Stewart Simkins may have been a member of the Ku Klux Klan, but that hardly erases the fact that he was also honored as the "Texas King of the Mustache Ride" three years in a row, 1922-24.

Give credit where credit is due, people.

rbz-UT-Simkins-Hall_458650k.jpg

CU has some pretty ugly stink on itself from the McCarthy era and drumming out of jobs of some Jewish faculty for being accused (never proven and purely circumstantial 3rd person slander) of having Communist sympathies. It's not pretty stuff. One of my friends grandfather was a philosophy instructor who was persecuted as such.

Back