What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UW Initial Thoughts/Scouting Report

jgisland

Club Member
Club Member
I just finished watching the UW/Seattle Pacific Exhibition game. This is the same Seattle Pacific team that beat Arizona at home last week, these are just exhibition games and the rotations aren't scaled back, a lot of guys are playing but you still get a pretty decent take on their squad.

My first thought is that UW scares me. If they don't have the best/deepest back court in the country it is right up there. JR Abdul Gaddy running the point looks completely recovered from an ACL tear early last year, SO Terrance Ross is aggressive and looks possessed to show that he is worthy of a lottery pick this upcoming summer. SO CJ Wilcox can flat out shoot, you can't leave him open, he may be even better on D than he is shooting the rock. My initial thoughts when i saw Freshman PG Tony Wroten enter the game (mind you he had arthroscopic knee surgery last week) was that he is HUGE. I immediately grabbed my computer and looked him up, 6-5 205. My second thought was who in the hell is going to guard him? Their back court is going to cause huge problems for CU, Nate and Shannon have no shot, Dinwiddie's better get off to a solid start b/c CU is going to need his size and length January 5th. Lets not forget about SR Scott Suggs who has a stress fracture in his big toe and is out, he will be questionable to return for the CU game.

Their Front court is mediocre at best. Starting forwards Darnell Gant and Desmond Simmons did nothing to impress, Shawn Kemp Jr. is impressive in pedigree only.

How you beat UW:

They are very very aggressive on defense, they overplay passing lanes, put a lot of pressure on the ball and are quick to offer weak side help when somebody drives the lane. All of this leaves UW susceptible to ball screens and back door cuts. In my opinion they are a little to quick to offer help from the weak side when somebody drives the lane, this leaves guys wide open on the outside, you simply need to penetrate and kick the ball out to the weak side defenders man (Levi would thrive here).

In order to stop them on offense I don't see anyway how CU can match up man to man against their back court, a match up zone is the way to go. Wilcox is the biggest concern in the zone because he is their best shooter and if you don't keep an eye on him he will light your up real quick like. UW loves to penetrate and dish to their big for easy layups, so pack it in on the match up zone, keep an eye on Wilcox and you may have a shot.

A lot is going to be made of losing Isiah Thomas, I just don't see this being much of an issue, they have enough experience returning and youth coming in i really don't see them missing him much. A game I will be very interested to see is the UW/UCLA game. Talk about two teams that have no way of guarding each other. UW has 75 guards and no post play, UCLA has 75 forwards and no guard play.

In closing, UW looks to be a a solid team, they were a little raw, but this was an exhibition game against an over matched opponent. If they aren't contending for the PAC 12 championship at the end of the season I will be quite surprised and something went very wrong for Lorenzo Romar's squad.

UW played without Aziz and Suggs don't forget....

Two starters out at the C and PF position... basically they were without their big men for SPU...

They're very young and raw, but talented...

Thanks for the insight. I see them in that group of 3 at the top of the conference that is a step above. We've got a golden opportunity against the Huskies on Jan. 5 to send a message to the rest of the Pac-12 that we're not ****ing around in hoops. They've got a solid style of play, but as you say, there are ways to break them - agree about the match up zone. UDub is also highly inconsistent, more so than many would probably expect. Can't reiterate enough how crucial that Utah-Udub-Wazzu stretch to open league play is. Have to come out of that 2-1, being 1-2 with 4 of the next 6 on the road (with one of those home games being Arizona and a road game at UCLA) would be bad news.

Most Pac12 basketball teams are somewhat of a mystery to all of us, I'm sure, but I've heard very little about Stanford and Arizona State this year. Both were pretty bad last year (Arizona State, especially, was downright awful) Wonder how much of a leap forward the Cardinal and Sun Devils will make, if any.

Can't reiterate enough how crucial that Utah-Udub-Wazzu stretch to open league play is. Have to come out of that 2-1, being 1-2 with 4 of the next 6 on the road (with one of those home games being Arizona and a road game at UCLA) would be bad news.

I will reiterate it again for you, I hate to say before the season even starts that this is a make or break stretch, but this is a very, very important stretch for the Buffs. If CU goes 2-1 the set themselves up nicely for P12 play, going 1-2 or 0-3 leads to an uphill battle. I am not trying to read too much into exhibitions games, but Utah did lose to Adams St on Friday night (on a Chris Webber-esque play, they called time out when they had none left). After the Game a Utes blogger (blocku.com, @blocku on twitter) tweeted:
BlockU
Finally, Utah basketball ain't winning five games this season and if they do, I'll happily proclaim Krysko Coach of the Century.

Most Pac12 basketball teams are somewhat of a mystery to all of us, I'm sure, but I've heard very little about Stanford and Arizona State this year. Both were pretty bad last year (Arizona State, especially, was downright awful) Wonder how much of a leap forward the Cardinal and Sun Devils will make, if any.

Agreed, we all know that UCLA and Arizona = perennially good, UW has been good of late, CAL, Stanford and USC are occasionally decent and the rest is pretty much crap. That being said I think that Stanford and ASU make the biggest leaps this year.

I see the P12 broken up into 3 groups

Elite:
UCLA
Arizona
CAL
UW

Solid:
Stanford
WSU
ASU
Oregon

Botton:
CU - could move up if everything goes right, doubtful they are a top 4 team, but they could easily go into the 6-8 range.
Oregon St
USC
Utah

Great post man - I agree, UW should be very good. I'm excited to see Wroten play, and Gaddy/Ross are special talents. UW could make some seriou noise this season in the tournament.

Back