1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vigo to grayshirt

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by zonabuff, Jun 26, 2008.

1. zonabuff

zonabuff Guest

2. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Saw that. From a schollie stand point, I'm really not sure how this helps. Seems like the Buffs had one left over from the '08 class, and the grayshirt means Vigo will count against '09.

3. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Maybe we have a secret weapon.

4. colinski

colinski Member

If the reason is related to scholarship limits, that means they reached the 85 limit without him. Another reason would be a personal choice on his part.

I haven't figured out whether a grayshirt extends a player's career, since the eligibility clock starts ticking at some point (although it may). However, he will have the benefit of two semesters with the team, a fairly long period to adjust, which may eliminate the need for a redshirt year.

I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on this. I wonder if Vigo's on-again off-again commitment is indicative of something. They may not have wanted to include him in this class -- something about meeting their quota of LBS, perhaps?

BTW -- the 25 yearly limit (24 for CU right now), is not the problem, it's the 85 total limit.

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Who knows? I always viewed the big reason for grayshirting, aside from the scholarship numbers, is for a kid to mature a bit more and also have a spring practice before his first year.

6. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

The clock starts ticking when they enroll in school regardless if they play or not. So his 5 year clock will start in January same as any other January enrollee.

7. colinski

colinski Member

Thanks, that would mean they do get more time because a Jan.- to - Jan. year would only have one football season in it and that would give him a 2009-13 five year eligibility calendar -- which is what I thought. He also gets the two full semesters to work with the team; spring & summer. And he may still make use of his redshirt year to start.

More athletes should take advantage of the grayshirt, it gives them a much longer adjustment period and a chance to develop.

8. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Most kids going to D1 schools probably have too big of egos to see the advantage.

9. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

:nod: