What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Voleyball- No. 21 Buffs Host No. 15 UCLA and No. 19 USC

Pathetic Performance. I guess we are making the case for not really deserving to be in the top 25.

Just finished watching. That was not the Buffs' best performance. At times the Bruins looked very good but at times the Buffs just looked bad.

Very disappointing effort from the Buffs. Now on to SC, maybe they'll win their first ever game?

From phone

Well, they'll have to shake this one off.

Have no idea if it was the case here, but I've often observed teams, when they 1st get ranked, especially when (I'm sure) it's been a long term goal and a long time coming, they seem to have a game/ match where they lose a subtle focus of how they approach things in the match- physically they're doing the same prep, but somehow they slightly lose the details of what they've done to win (maybe a little complacency seeps in?). And, in volleyball, where sets usually turn on just a few points going one way or the other, it doesn't take losing much at all of what's made you successful to end up losing. Usually it just takes a humbling night like tonight to get any approach errors righted, and hopefully that will be the case for the Buffs.

Overall, a weird match. Looking at stats, we hit freackin' .290- which is a VERY good offensive night. however, the defense just never got going. Of course, a lot of this had to do with Ms. Lowe being probably the best outside hitting offensive player in the country and playing like it. But, after having a record setting blocking night in the last match against ASU, the block was JUST off all night. Our blockers were there a lot, but weren't getting either enough statistical blocks or constructive touches so the back row had a chance to get the ball up. It just didn't slow down the Bruins enough, as you need to do with any good team with a transcendent player and a good supporting cast. A few of the back row touches and positioning were occasionally off also, which is something that can't be done often, especially when the block isn't having an effective night.

Also, the serving game evened out (at best for the Buffs) compared to when the Buffs dominated in LA, so that didn't help.

Of course, I know I (and feel many/ most fans) often just fixate on what "OUR" team did wrong- but it's also important to note that UCLA is a VERY good team (probably going to be one of the 16 seeded teams come tournament time if they keep winning), and they fixed what caused them problems against the Buffs last time- so I definitely want to give them the proverbial "tip of the cap".

So, the Buffs will hopefully just come back and, as others have said above, get ready for USC. Also, hopefully in their match tomorrow night, our travel partner Utah will give the Trojans a good long workout. Most importantly, the Buffs need to not forget how talented they are, and how they performed to earn the ranking they've earned, and be ready to give it their all and relish the competition they'll get to have Sunday at noon against yet another massively talented Pac 12 team.

Go Buffs!

Last edited:
They seemed tight tonight while UCLA looked loose and relaxed. Not sure why but that was my impression being at the game. Also...

- Too many serves in to the net or out of bounds. Same thing against ASU but our blocking helped us battle through it. Not tonight. Seemed we couldn't block anything the first couple sets.
- As most know here, Alexis is such a liability on service returns. That's why opposing teams aim for her and she was really bad tonight.
- #17 is just awesome for UCLA
- UCLA won most of the rallies. Every time it looked like CU was going to take control of a point UCLA would come up with a great play or CU a mistake.
- Several miss communications on Offense. I don't think I saw that one time for UCLA

Credit to UCLA for a well played match but CU can and has played way better. Just an all around off night for the Ladies.
Still fun to be there in person. Great spectator sport! I will be there on Sunday too!

I tuned in for a bit and saw a team that looked flat.

UCLA's block looked good.

But most of what I saw was about the Buffs having no bounce tonight. They seemed to be a half step behind on everything and not communicating very well.

Assume probably all Buff fans know these resources are out there already, but just in case wanted to provide a link to cubuff.com videos. They can be found at http://www.cubuffs.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&&db_oem_id=600 . (There are often short (15 or 30 second) ads before the videos start.)

For this volleyball match specifically, there is:

1) A 6 minute 10 second post-match press conference with Coach Kritza, Taylor Simpson and Nicole Edelman,

2) 3 minutes of Buff highlights. (They scored every point- how did they lose?)

3) a 3 minute Pac 12 network recap (Oh- that's how they lost. Although, they are actually pretty gentle on the Buffs.)

I agree with the comments that say the Buffs looked flat and out of sync at times. But the real killers, imo, were the 8 service errors to only 2 service aces (vs UCLAs 5 aces and 4 errors) and the almost total lack of blocking. Last weekend their block was really on. Last night, except for two blocks that Hargis got when she was in briefly near the end of the second set, the Buffs had only had 2 blocks total in all three sets. That ain't gonna get it done against a good team. I hope we see the level of play by the Buffs that swept the Arizona schools last weekend at the USC match on Sunday!

I did watch the match and was disappointed. Buffs were totally flat. There was some improvement after the intermission, but obviously not enough. The service errors that were hurting them at the beginning of the season are still hurting this team.

Back