1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volleyball head coach search

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by AztecBuff, Dec 4, 2015.

1. AztecBuff

AztecBuff Club Member Club Member

1st info I've heard in below tweets regarding Coach Kritza's contract situation, and info on the job search. Never know how quickly it takes to organize these things (esp. in a bureaucratic environment), so I'm pretty happy they're starting as soon as next week.

(I could have sworn I read she did have one of the 5 year contracts, but maybe that just ran out, or may she only had one the 1st 5 years she was here? (I believe this was her 7th season at CU?))

2. AztecBuff

I also posted a link to a new article (http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-colle...k-george-feels-buffs-needed-change?source=rss) from the Daily Camera (By Brian Howell) in the Kritza dismissed thread, but just to copy what it says about the new coach search (although in substance not much more than is in the above tweets)-

"
    CU is not wasting any time in finding a new coach. George said that he hoped to have a search committee in place by the end of the day on Friday. There is no timetable for finding a new coach, but he added, "We hope to start the interview process next week."

Associate head coach JT Wenger is serving as interim coach, and George said Wenger "will be a serious candidate for this position."

CU is allowed to use just six multi-year contracts, and Kritza did not have one of those. The school does, however, have one available and George said "it's a possibility" the volleyball coach will get a multi-year deal."

3. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

go raid CSU's coach

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  4. AztecBuff

Take it for what its worth, but someone in the Volleytalk forum (so who knows what they really know if anything) said that, possibly after turning the Buffs down before Coach Kritza was hired, Coach Hibbert signed a new contract that contains a $1M buyout clause.

5. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

You spelled something wrong. I'm just not sure what.

buffgal likes this.
  6. AztecBuff

Search committee has been formed- http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210560110

The full article (since it's not that long; interesting that they've already advanced the player representatives a year!)-
    "
    BOULDER —The search committee to find the next head volleyball coach at the University of Colorado has been formed, athletic director Rick George announced on Friday.

CU Senior Associate Athletic Director Ceal Barry will chair the committee. She will be joined by associate athletic director/business development Lance Carl, associate athletic director/chief marketing officer Matt Biggers, CU athletics human resources liaison Tracy Tripp, assistant manager of recruitment and senior HR consultant Andy Horwitz and Joe Jupille, the CU-Boulder Faculty Chair of the Intercollegiate Athletics Committee.

Four members of the volleyball team will also serve on the committee. They are seniors Cierra Simpson and Katelyn Cuff, junior Anna Pfefferle and sophomore Naghede Abu.

The committee will find a candidate who can position the Buffs to compete for and win championships.
    "

7. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

I'll be curious to see who is interested and how serious CU is in playing with the top programs in the country as indicated in part by the salary they are willing to pay. This won't only be Rick George's first hire, it will be the first hire since the practice facilities for volleyball have been completed. My thought here is that this should make it easier to attract a top level candidates, including currently successful head coaches. Of course CU's recent-on-the-court success should help with the sell.

It looks to me that despite the Nicole Edelman and Alexis Austin graduating the Buffs will have enough talent to keep themselves in the top tier of the Pac-12 next season, assuming no attrition.

8. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

Since in volleyball players do not have to sit out if they transfer, it will be very telling if players transfer after the hire and if the commits stay with CU.

I hope the four team members actually do have input in to who will be their coach. It will be a shame to lose players the caliber of the Simpson sisters, etc.

I also hope George uses one of the 6 year contracts to lure a good coach to Boulder and that he isn't just talking.

9. buff190

buff190 Club Member Club Member

I, surprisingly, really care about this hire. I thoroughly enjoy this sport and watching this team play. My grandson and I have been to many games the last few seasons. We even went to the Tourney games at CSU last season.

Frankly, It's baffling that there aren't more fans in the seats for this sport. Especially with how good we've been the last few years and the conference we are in. It is college volleyball at the highest level. Very exciting! It has moved to #3 on my list of CU sports to watch behind Football and Mens Basketball.

Here's to getting a GREAT hire and continued success of this program!!! Go Buffs!!!

10. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

I also care about the sport and hope we get a good hire. I thought we had a good coach.

I drove from Iowa to Minneapolis two years ago for the NCAA games there. They played really well in both matches and almost knocked off Minnesota.