What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Volleyball vs Cal

Took a look at cubuffs.com to get a read on the team.

12-8 record, with 4-4 in the Pac-12.

12 conference matches remaining.

What do our experts think it will take to get a bid to the NCAA Tourney?

Is a .500 conference record (18-14 overall) good enough this year based on the strength of the Pac-12 or will CU's sluggish non-conference performance this season likely require better than that?

Is the target more like 8-4 over the last 12 in order to get in? What's the thought on what it will take to feel like we're on the good side of the bubble this year?

Is a .500 conference record (18-14 overall) good enough this year based on the strength of the Pac-12 or will CU's sluggish non-conference performance this season likely require better than that?

Is the target more like 8-4 over the last 12 in order to get in? What's the thought on what it will take to feel like we're on the good side of the bubble this year?

In my non expert opinion, a .500 conference record will be good enough to get us in and looking at the remaining schedule is what we are realistically going to be around. I think that we just need to finish at least a couple of games over .500 overall.

I'll be updating my look at Soccer and Volleyball numbers thread on Tuesday, so will have more up to date data then, but I'd guess if we end up 10-10 in conference, we'd be very safe to get in. And, I'd think our odds would be somewhat above 50-50 to get in even if we end up 9-11. (Hopefully, of course, it's all academic and we'll end up better than that.)

Quick reasoning-

1) Unless the standings are wacky with Cal, WSU and Utah not getting any more wins (and the way they're playing, I think they'll win at least a few between them) and Stanford and Washington lose alot to other teams, 10-10 or 9-11 should get us at least in the 7th place range in conference. Last year, 9 Pac 12 teams got into the tournament, and the conference is even stronger relative to the rest of the country this year, so 9-10 Pac teams are probably getting. So, If we're 7th in conference, we're obviously within the top 9 in conference.

2) I looked at our schedule, and 8 of our last 12 games are against top 20 teams, so, even if we just end up with 9 wins, that means at least one more high quality win, and then 2 (of course) high quality wins if we end up at 10-10. This will give us 3-4 high quality wins for the year, which I believe selection committees love to see. And, with the conference being as it is, there are no potential HORRIBLE losses left, even if we slipped once or twice to the "weaker" Pac teams (currently WSU (scary team by the way and our next opponent, just took ranked ASU to 5 sets on the road), Cal or Utah, as even they are top 100 RPI teams). (Of course, if we slip against those teams twice or more, we'll have to have even more big wins to even get to 9-11 in conference.)

3) Looking back, as I believe committees do, I think we'll get some break for the non-conference results, as two of our best 3-5 players missed much (N. Edelman) to almost all (A. Austin) of the non-conference schedule, and we're much better with them playing. In addition, we're definitely a young team, and our 5-6 freshmen and lightly used sophomores who play a lot for us are playing much better now. And, even if the committee didn't look at it that way, as I noted in my ranking/ RPI thread, thankfully we did avoid the "bad" loss this year. (Illinois is Top 25 in the country (actually 15th), and the other three non conference losses were to last week RPI #'s 30, 42 and 62. So, nothing nearly as bad as the loss to RPI #137 Wyoming last year.)

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to say earlier- I wanted to give some props to whoever at CU is I assume working HARD at getting people to go to the games. Hope they can keep this up. I'd say this weekend's games maybe had the most attendance for two regular season games I can remember since, maybe(???), Nebraska fans used to inundate the Keg when we played them in the Big 12 days.

Per the stats, the Stanford match had 2,846 people attend (and it was visibly a lot more people than normal, so didn't seem like padded numbers), and today had 2,085. (Last year, the stats show these same opponents drew a total of ~2,700 combined.) Obviously, this was much better than as recently as two weeks ago, when the team only drew ~1,200 for ASU and ~1,100 for AZ. Also looks like they're working at drawing a lot of kids, so potentially there might be some potential future Buff stars getting a good impression about an entertaining and quality team.

Of course, as someone who loves the game, I can't as a blind fan see why we're not like Hawaii or Nebraska (both of which average at least 7,500 per game). But at mimimum, looking at it realistically, hopefully as the team at minimum sustains and hopefully keeps improving, and the staff keeps working at promotions, we can start to compete in attendance with the top teams in the (generally apathetic) Pac 12. (Heck- our neighbors ~45 miles to the northeast of Boulder who shall not be named have one of the best volleyball environments in the country.)

(Per the below table listing the top attendance nationally last year for volleyball I found on a Penn State forum, looks like Washington led the Pac at ~2,600 people per match.):

Team Conf Avg Attendance
1. Nebraska Big Ten 8183
2. Hawaii Big West 7500
3. Minnesota Big Ten 4241
4. Texas Big 12 3836
5. Wisconsin Big Ten 3640
6. Colorado St Mtn West 3283
7. UNI MVC 3267
8. Missouri SEC 3230
9. Penn St Big Ten 3073
10 Illinois Big Ten 3037
11 Michigan St Big Ten 2891
12 Iowa St Big 12 2700
13 Florida SEC 2649
14 Washington Pac 12 2639
15 Wichita St MVC 2577
16 Purdue Big Ten 2532

Last edited:
3) Looking back, as I believe committees do, I think we'll get some break for the non-conference results, as two of our best 3-5 players missed much (N. Edelman) to almost all (A. Austin) of the non-conference schedule, and we're much better with them playing. In addition, we're definitely a young team, and our 5-6 freshmen and lightly used sophomores who play a lot for us are playing much better now. And, even if the committee didn't look at it that way, as I noted in my ranking/ RPI thread, thankfully we did avoid the "bad" loss this year. (Illinois is Top 25 in the country (actually 15th), and the other three non conference losses were to last week RPI #'s 30, 42 and 62. So, nothing nearly as bad as the loss to RPI #137 Wyoming last year.)

I think this is true. This team is so much better since the return of Edelman and Austin. Wasn't English out in that first tournament?

One thing I forgot to say earlier- I wanted to give some props to whoever at CU is I assume working HARD at getting people to go to the games. Hope they can keep this up. I'd say this weekend's games maybe had the most attendance for two regular season games I can remember since, maybe(???), Nebraska fans used to inundate the Keg when we played them in the Big 12 days.

I well remember the days of kicking the Nebraska fans out of my reserved seat and they would sulk off because I had a prime seat. Those two big time upsets over Nebraska under Aiu where fabulous and met those Fusker fans had a longer drive home.

I think this is true. This team is so much better since the return of Edelman and Austin. Wasn't English out in that first tournament?
Kelsey English played pretty much 100% of the pre-conference games. It was around the time of the start of conference play that someone posted that they had seen her around campus wearing a boot. And since then she has either not played at all or, recently, played as a serving and back row sub. Now that Gwen Herring appears to be back and playing well, I suspect we will only see Kelsey as a serving sub until she is able to play 100% and play well enough re-take the starting spot from Cuff. One other thought about Kelsey ... her best offensive play has always been the slide and you don't see teams playing a 6-2 running the slide much if at all. Last season the quicks from the middle were almost entirely run by Nikki Lindow. So Kelsey's strength on offense is probably relegated to when CU is running a 5-1 like they did against Cal. Of course she still has a really good serve and blocking.

Back