What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Walk-on Procedure

Not sure I understand the question.

PWO means you are invited. There is no paperwork etc. But you are recruited. You are basically given a verbal promise by the coach that if you come out, you will be treated as part of the team in every way, except a few things that NCAA prohibits such as training table (i.e. meals).
Some schools announce them, others do not. There is nothing binding, so a PWO can change his mind up until he participates in practices. His eligibility clock then starts and as far as the NCAA is concerned, transfers etc are all treated the same as a scholarship player.

a walk on (not preferred) is a bit different. Under Nueheisel if you wanted to walk on. You show up on a certain day and you ran for about 90 minutes non-stop. If you quit then you were done. A coach would make you run wind sprints, ladders, and lap around the field. If you made it through the first day, you got to come back the second day and then you got to run for 90 minutes again. It was basically just a way to weed out people that weren't serious about joining the team or realize the amount of work it took. If you made it through both days, you were allowed to practice with the team.

a walk on (not preferred) is a bit different. Under Nueheisel if you wanted to walk on. You show up on a certain day and you ran for about 90 minutes non-stop. If you quit then you were done. A coach would make you run wind sprints, ladders, and lap around the field. If you made it through the first day, you got to come back the second day and then you got to run for 90 minutes again. It was basically just a way to weed out people that weren't serious about joining the team or realize the amount of work it took. If you made it through both days, you were allowed to practice with the team.

I had 2 roommates that made it through the 'Doc Kreis' walk on process. It sounded miserable.

I had 2 roommates that made it through the 'Doc Kreis' walk on process. It sounded miserable.

I had one that quit on day two. He was an all-state RB in high school. Conditionally he could do it, he just said it was dumb.

I had one that quit on day two. He was an all-state RB in high school. Conditionally he could do it, he just said it was dumb.

There was a guy in the fraternity that puked his guts out and fell down the stairs of Folsom while doing up n downs. Off to intramurals for him...

There was a guy in the fraternity that puked his guts out and fell down the stairs of Folsom while doing up n downs. Off to intramurals for him...

lets be honest, which one of us haven't puked on the stairs of Folsom. Amirite

Does CU post walk on tryouts to student body, or all walkons recruited?

Every school is different as is every coaching staff. If it is important to you the best bet is to check with the football office directly. The NCAA has regulations about how many total players can participate in off and pre season football activities. These are usually limited to scholly, PWO, and selected walk-ons from the prior season.

Once they reach a certain point on the calendar the number limitations drop off and schools will usually hold a try-out keeping a few players primarily to fill out scout teams. How CU is doing it now under M2 I have no idea.

Back