1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was the "no huddle" the big surprise we were waiting for?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I can't think of anything else that was unveiled that might have surprised an opponent.

I have to say that I think it worked. Not that we moved the ball, but we didn't have any delay of game penalties.

So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

2. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

perhaps the surprise was for us fans....

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Truth be told, I didn't even notice we were in a no-huddle. All I noticed was the fact that we weren't moving the ball.

4. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

I was surprised that we unveiled the Pee-Wee Herman Big Adventure offense. Based on my extensive research, I was expecting a pro style offense that featured a strong running game, overpowering OL play and creative use of tight ends. I guess we wanted to lull Sac St.

5. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

the big surprise for me was the lack of improvement on the line, on both sides of the ball, compared to last year.

oh, and the no-huddle, i guess.

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

That wasn't a no huddle offense.

7. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I do not get it. According to BG Brooks, Embo kept practice closed so they could work on some new kind of scheme. The only scheme I saw was scheming us out of yet another year of season ticket money.

8. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

I thought the practices were closed so they could keep distractions to a minimum...e.g. the gag order for freshmen and the press.

9. class01

class01 Active Member

There is no excuse for losing to CSU and I really didn't like he look on Embree's face when they panned to him on the sidelines, but those clamoring for Embree and Bienemy to get fired need to get a grip.

The simple fact is that they inherited possibly the worst FBS team in their 1st yr and are now fielding the 2nd youngest (and still terrible) FBS team in yr 2. Anybody that really thought we were going to a bowl this yr was delusional.

Overall I think the coaching staff is on the right track, but their inexperience combined with the inexperience on the field is killing us. The no huddle is the right idea, but I'm not sure you can just pick it up by visiting a few coaches during the off season. I'm sure Chip Kelly didn't really go out of his way to help Embree out. Ideally we needed to poach an assistant that had been running a no huddle scheme for awhile. Also, we should have implemented it last yr - not buying 'we didn't have the pieces". What do we have this yr?

So we're going to have to watch everybody and I mean EVERYBODY learn on the job... Yeah the play calling was atrocious at times on Sat, but I thought EB showed some progress last yr (eg Utah). I actually think Webb can be ok if the O line grows up in time.

While we suffer through the growing pains, I think it is important to remember that talent generally trumps play calling and schemes. The players this staff are recruiting are actually starting to look like D1 talent. We have to give them more time than a season and 1 game.

I'm not stoked about it, but progress may mean 4-5 wins. We lost one we shouldn't have, but that usually happens. It just means we'll have to win one I thought we lose (ie Fresno St). Reality bites.

10. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

If we were the worst FBS team, then what was CSU at the end of last year?

11. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

It was crap, I was hoping to see an option wrinkle, something. U want tempo, u might need to snap the ball quickly. Youre hardly being fast when ur making sight adjustments, yes I saw them, we didnt get delay of game, tempo we didnt change, All we probably. did is **** up protection. U have to sight adjust but we were slow as hell. Just run our ****, quit trying to trick people.

12. class01

class01 Active Member

Sorry I meant to say BCS, but whatever. If you didn't notice, I started by saying there is no excuse for losing to CSU.

13. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

The no huddle ended up being a distraction for the offense. It probably hurt the offense more than it confused the defense. Over time that will get better but it was not a big help in this game.

Embree promised a couple of things in the Kickoff luncheon...he said we would be proud of how this team plays and we would see why the practices were closed. He did not deliver on either promise.

14. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

all things being equal, i was plenty surprised.

15. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

I think they closed practices for the same reason I close the door when I take a ****.

16. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

no huddle only works when you get first downs. we did that in the first half, not in the 2d. No huddle was a good wrinkle to have, and we should keep workign on it... but the problem wasn't the no huddle. It was bad playcalling.

17. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Looks like he was hiding something at closed practices....a disappointing game preparation and more of the same old fluff...I am at a loss of words and soooo tired of the buffs laying chips on the field

18. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I do think the new surprise was the no-huddle, and it was working in the 1st half. I think it wore out our offensive line and we couldn't use it in the 2nd half.

Our conditioning is very suspect at this point, like so much else.

19. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

All I saw was a no offense huddle.