1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washington at Colorado post game thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Darth Snow, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

[​IMG]

2. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Fortune cannot have 7 turnovers. A couple were questionable, but you cannot let it snowball

Eggon likes this.
  3. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Won without our best player, I'll take it. Between awful refs and dumb turnovers we almost gave it away though...

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Needed that one. Officiating was embarrassing.

5. scoob

scoob Club Member Club Member

Despite conventional wisdom, Colorado 14-0 after leading at the half this season, according to P12N.

Goose, Eggon, aghcsm and 2 others like this.
  6. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

CUBuffs basketball:

Brought to you by the Colorado Association of Cardiologic Medicine.

7. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

I told you limiting it to 4 would be nice.

8. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

27 points in off TO's for UW. Is that right? If so, YIKES!

9. CVilleBuff

That's right...they thrive on that

10. seattlebuff

seattlebuff Well-Known Member

Gritty win against an insanely talented UW team. 3-4 guys on that team with NBA-level length and quickness. Man, they'll be scary next year.

We've talked about it ad nauseum, but the late scoring droughts are just baffling to me. I have no idea why, but it seems like it happens to us far more than the average team.

Love seeing Yaz's confidence grow. That tech on him at the end was one of the dumbest calls I've seen in a long time ... and this is PAC12 refs we're talking about. That was criminal in that situation.

Fortune ... just killing us in critical situations with turnovers, ill-advised shots and poor defense. The guy looks like a baller. Great first step. But somehow he's a net negative in most games.

11. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Gotta take care of our balls, dammit.

12. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

Couple of wins like these make you wonder if the Buffs are a team of destiny. Although I'm not sure of the exact destination, other than the NCAA tourney is increasingly certain.

13. ZandiBuff

ZandiBuff Well-Known Member

I only watched the last 10 minutes or so. Cardiac Buffs strike again!

Watching the replay now. 2 things - I still love the energy from both Yaz and Miller. Miller is doing a better job controlling, but both go all out.

Can Miller play 5 and let Wes stay at the 4?

14. Da Lama

Da Lama Well-Known Member

I actually think he had more. Statisticians being kind.

15. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

I fell asleep and when I woke up, the Buffs were up 15 points or so. Then the rest happened. Blame it on me. Next time, I will sleep until it's over.

Goose, HaikuBUFF and Buffnik like this.
  16. HaikuBUFF

HaikuBUFF Club Member Club Member

A winning slumber
    Yet, a true living nightmare
    Sleep til April? No...

17. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

This is the 9th season that Colorado has made it to 19 wins and Boyle has 5 of them. At the beginning of the season I didn't see us in 4th place at this point in the season or winning two games with Josh Scott on the bench. Pleasantly surprised.

Hoops Fan likes this.
  18. CVilleBuff

And anyone dismissing CU next year because of Josh's departure is mistaken. You add White and Peters to the mix along with the returnees improving and this team is capable of making another run at 20 wins and an NCAA Tournament. Obviously I'd welcome an elite big man, but this is not an awful time to go smaller. It's the trend. Wes has made it clear what he can do. We just need Tory to keep improving and understand to not take risks when he's got a certain number of fouls.

Goose, Alfred91 and Hoops Fan like this.
  19. torerobuff

torerobuff Dancing is forbidden Club Member

Wes was a beast today. Impressive.

The Bubbles Fortune turnover machine has to stop. It's infuriating.

Can't believe Andrews missed that last shot. Thank god.

Pac 12 refs continue to pac 12 ref.

The student section continues to be weak (not an indictment of those that do show up). Rest of the crowd was very good.

ZandiBuff and SpacemanSpiff like this.
  20. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Club Member Club Member

Couldn't agree with this statement more. Overall this weekend has been impressive despite the ugly games. Lets face it, CU's best player was on the bench and we all would have said XJ was the second best player if he had been available this year. If XJ stays, this team is a beast next year.

21. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

February wins are difficult to get. Buffs beat a very good team today without Josh and with Dom, Wes, Tory, and Yaz in big time foul trouble. I'll take that performance any day.

22. Jace Kinney

Jace Kinney Member

It's huge when we win 2 games without Josh Scott! Wes Gordon played great these 2 games. Josh Fortune needs to cut down on turnovers. Thomas Akyazili I really like him

23. ahoelsken

ahoelsken Well-Known Member

Great win, and great to get two without Scott.

As far as the officiating, there aren't "Pac 12 referees" like there are in football.....its based more on where these guys live (thats why you see the same guys multiple times a year-today was Mike Irving's 2nd home game of ours), and one official can work games in two or three leagues. As an example, Verne Harris and Randy McCall (who both live in Denver Metro) work multiple games a year in the Pac 12 and MWC (Harris was in Fort Collins for the goofy ending up there the other night) because its relatively easy for them to get to the bulk of the venues in those leagues. Brad Ferrie (the taller black haired guy who called that awful travel at the end) isn't from this part of the country, and the bulk of his games are in one bid leagues, and he doesn't have a very good rep.

Nevertheless, we set ourselves up for that ending I thought. After the second long run mid 2nd half, I thought we got extremely conservative offensively, and that allowed UW to get back in the game. Great games today from Wes and Akyazili Still, got a win. Huge going into the LA trip next week.

24. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Absolutely.

We are seeing Tory grow up. He is always going to be a couple inches short of the ideal paint dominator but with his combination of power and quickness he is going to be a nightmare for defenders. He will run over the tall skinny guys and will go past the big power guys. One thing I want to see him do more is finish at the rim with more authority, just rip the rim down instead of trying to float it in from 18 inches away, use his power to go right through the rim defenders.

I mentioned in the game thread that Wes was being a dominant force. On a lot of shots or shot opportunities the Washington players were worried about Wes getting to them, he moves so well and gets up quickly. He also had a number of statement rebounds including the last one of the game. He simply sent a meassage that the ball was going to be his. He is also getting much better at passing out from the post. Like Tory I would like to see him become more aggressive on his inside shots, pound the ball through and let them foul him if they want a chance at stopping him.

If we can get Walton those two will give him the opportunity to adjust to the college game. The wings we have will take the scoring pressure off.

25. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

What's up with Fortune? The games I've seen, he is pressing to be good. Dude just needs to relax and play ball.

26. cu62nu36

cu62nu36 Club Member Club Member

Which guy called the T on AK? He is on my list.

27. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Club Member Club Member

AK earned the T, my beef with the ref on that call was that he missed the Washington player grabbing AK by the shoulder and almost pulling him over as they chased after the ball. AK would have had it if the guy hadn't grabbed him like that. AK was pissed about it which is clearly why he bumped the other kid....not smart at the time in the game, but I love AK's lack of fear even against a much bigger dude.

ZandiBuff, Goose and buffgal like this.
  28. buffgal

buffgal Club Member Club Member

It seems like officials always miss the reason for the retaliation.

29. 89BUFF89

89BUFF89 Well-Known Member

Chriss seems to mouth off a lot which might have had something to do with it. Great talent so I guess he backs it up

30. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Yeah but usually in a technical situation they go to the review table don't they? I have seen a ton of technicals turned into double tecs this year it seems.