What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Hires Chris Petersen

That line of thinking is faulty. Any team with resources is a failure unless they go undefeated and win a national championship? Plus, lots of teams have higher recruiting rankings. Oregon has loads of cash, but they have to pull from all over the country. Not that easy to do vs. other schools pulling from the back yard.

You're faulty. Who said anything about them being a failure?? The question was who is the worst coach in the Pac 12, and I think it could be Helfrich, but acknowledged that he'll still win a lot of games because loads of money an talent can cover up a lot of coaching worts.

The carousel is going to get very interesting here because of the regional connection. Are former Boise boys going to get involved with either hire? I can see Pete wanting a guy like Dave Christensen to run his offense but then again Brent Pease is looking for a job. More than likely Pease could settle back in at Boise if Harsin leaves his current gig to go home. On the defensive side, I am most intrested to see what happens with Wilcox. Boise HC is a real possibility but UW and USC are still in play. This whole shuffle in the Northwest really screws Wyoming as Boise is the much better open job in the conference.

On to recruiting, I'm sure the higher profile targets like Ballage may be getting UW interest now, but what about current commits like Jaylen Johnson and Greg Gaines or targets like the Hill brothers? Surely this helps CU's chances to flip as the value of a Boise offer will take a slide. The only positive of not having a bowl game to prepare for this month is more time for the work our staff needs to be doing to target who on the SC, UW, and BSU boards may be wavering due to lack of stability and new directions of their programs. Plenty of work to be done.

Oh, I thought you had something more compelling.

More compelling than hard data?

This is just one stat and you have to take it with a grain of salt, but all time head to head winning % of Big 12 vs. Pac 12 is 48% in favor of Pac, which is basically even. I'm not saying that the SEC is not the best conference today and prob for the past several years. I'm saying that top to bottom there is not a ton of difference across all coferences over the years. Some teams are up some years and others are down.

A random example.....but take the Arizona or Arizona State teams today and I think they beat a lot of the SEC teams.

More compelling than hard data?

This is just one stat and you have to take it with a grain of salt, but all time head to head winning % of Big 12 vs. Pac 12 is 48% in favor of Pac, which is basically even. I'm not saying that the SEC is not the best conference today and prob for the past several years. I'm saying that top to bottom there is not a ton of difference across all coferences over the years. Some teams are up some years and others are down.

A random example.....but take the Arizona or Arizona State teams today and I think they beat a lot of the SEC teams.
You aren't doing a very good job.

Leftybuff did in post #54
I could have sworn I said they did less with more. Fact is they did, they were barking about a NC, had a Heisman candidate and a roster loaded with talent and did not even win their division in their conference. Failure? Well, if your stated goal is a NC, yes. The kind of failure I would be happy with in Boulder? Also, yes. Oregon is a good team. But stumbled down the stretch, not once, but twice. Including a manhandling by a middle of the road Arizona Pac 12 team. Not saying Helfrich should be fired, or that it is some sort of disaster, but it ain't success by Oregon's own standards.

Whatever. I'll spell his name however I damn well want to. Y'all can kiss my bad spelling ass.

More turmoil is sure to come when Texas fires Mac. Always love Dec and January. Most active time of year for me on the boards, save August.

More turmoil is sure to come when Texas fires Mac. Always love Dec and January. Most active time of year for me on the boards, save August.

Agreed. As long as CU isn't negatively impacted, the college football coaching carousel is one of the best rides around at this time of year.

The way the schedule works out with the Big 12 still playing in week 15, it really puts them at a disadvantage in the Coaching Carousel going forward. The ACC, Big10, SEC, and Pac12 teams that don't make the championship game get a week's head start.

There's no guarantee that Mack will be fired. They will be in a BCS bowl if Texas beats Baylor and OU beats OSU. Although not likely, granted.

There's no guarantee that Mack will be fired. They will be in a BCS bowl if Texas beats Baylor and OU beats OSU. Although not likely, granted.

That may be enough to save his job. Even then, I'm not sure. The big donors are completely off his bandwagon.

Mack is on thin ice from what I hear...if he had lost to OU, I am pretty sure he would be a goner.

My guess is that in the post game presser he'll defiantly talk about coaching another 5 years. A few days later, he'll show up on a podium next to their new AD, and talk about his 'change of heart'. He'll be in a broadcast booth by September.

I believe Sark didn't leave the cupboard bare at UW like Barnett did at CU when the Buffs hired Hawkins. Sark has done a good job recruiting the skill position players and Petersen will be able to take advantage. Out of all the former BSU coaches that went to different jobs, Petersen is stepping into the best situation in this case. I wouldn't classify Nutt as a failure like I would with Koetter and Hawkins.

Helfrich? Did less with more than anybody else in the P12 this year, but first year HC. The Alternative Head Coach? Worst record, but again, first year HC.
It will be interesting to see how he does and he gets further away from Chip Kelly.

Peterson is a very good game day coach, his teams are well prepared, execute well and are mentally ready. The question will be recruiting. The dynamic of recruiting in the PAC 12 is drastically different than the recruiting he did at Boise. It will be interesting to see how he builds his staff. I suspect he will bring in some BCS level assistants that can recruit. Will he keep any of the old staff?

It will be interesting to see how he builds his staff. I suspect he will bring in some BCS level assistants that can recruit. Will he keep any of the old staff?

Looks like a lot of it will be hinging on what happens with Wilcox. He was Petersen's DC at Boise a few years back, so he could easily be retained. Sarkisian's trying to bring him and Tosh Lupoi to SC possibly, but they both have big buyouts, especially for assistants. And on top of that, Wilcox will be a probable candidate for the head job at Boise.

I believe Sark didn't leave the cupboard bare at UW like Barnett did at CU when the Buffs hired Hawkins. Sark has done a good job recruiting the skill position players and Petersen will be able to take advantage. Out of all the former BSU coaches that went to different jobs, Petersen is stepping into the best situation in this case. I wouldn't classify Nutt as a failure like I would with Koetter and Hawkins.
Going Dan Hawkins there, "burned to the ground,"

I'm still laughing at some of these fools who swore USC's big-dollars were bigger than the ag's and would easily buy up Sumlin.

Back