What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Hires Chris Petersen

To be fair, he's 6-2 in the MWC.

I love it, the guy is 92-12 and he has a "down" season at 8-4 and suddenly he's been exposed. If CU had hired this guy, you'd be walking around with a boner for weeks.

I'm not saying his overall record and accomplishments isn't impressive, but 8-4 in a bad MWC isn't something that should impress people. CSU went 7-6 this year and we kicked them. According to Sagarin Boise State played the 95th toughest schedule in 2013, so yeah I'd expect more from him for 2013.

I'd be pretty weary of hiring another Boise State guy

I can honestly say I would have been disappointed, but then, I attended both CU and ASU.

No, your actually more excited because we hired the guy from WAC San Jose State (20-29 lifetime) instead. After being left at the alter by the MAC Cincinnati guy (55-32 lifetime). But the MWC guy who went 92-12 is just a bad hire? :rofl:

Ok.

People underrate Petersen on this board big time imo. Nutt was barely a "Boise guy", and Koetter really wasn't all that bad at ASU. Too average for them I guess. Hawk was all kinds of awful, but that doesn't mean Petersen will be. His record, MWC or not, is ****ing amazing. And he has beaten some pretty damn good teams in his time there. He has a pretty good record against P10/12 teams too. A couple wins over Oregon IIRC, which is more than UW can say for the past 8 years.

My reservations with Petersen is only that he's never dealt with any adversity really, and Boise kind of provided him a bubble where he was basically master of his universe.

He's walking into a pretty good situation at UW, but coaching transitions can be tricky no matter what you do. How's Petersen going to handle players that don't respect him, or the big city media questioning his decisions? Is he going to roll with the punches or is going to turn into an egotistical weirdo like Hawk or Lane Kiffin?

No, your actually more excited because we hired the guy from WAC San Jose State (20-29 lifetime) instead. After being left at the alter by the MAC Cincinnati guy (55-32 lifetime). But the MWC guy who went 92-12 is just a bad hire? :rofl:

Ok.

Yes the exact same conditions existed at both schools, it's not like one was handed the keys to a Lambo and the other was handed a Geo Metro whose engine is on it's last 100 miles or anything.

My reservations with Petersen is only that he's never dealt with any adversity really, and Boise kind of provided him a bubble where he was basically master of his universe.

He's walking into a pretty good situation at UW, but coaching transitions can be tricky no matter what you do. How's Petersen going to handle players that don't respect him, or the big city media questioning his decisions? Is he going to roll with the punches or is going to turn into an egotistical weirdo like Hawk or Lane Kiffin?

It's definitely a concern, but I think it's pretty clear he can coach him some football. Lane Kiffin? ****ty football coach, and a prick on top of it. Nick Saban is a massive dickhead, but he's an amazing coach. I just think it's a mistake to assume he'll suck simply because Hawk was complete **** and Koetter was meh.

If he was taking over CU or something like that, I'd have some concern. He took over Boise when it was already solid, and took it a few notches up. That's the same situation he's presented with at UW. Hawk took over a solid program in Boise built by Koetter and simply kept things running at the same level, no improvement.

But, you just never really know.

Yes the exact same conditions existed at both schools, it's not like one was handed the keys to a Lambo and the other was handed a Geo Metro whose engine is on it's last 100 miles or anything.

But wait, I thought the reason Hawk was exposed as a failure at CU is because Peterson was the real brains behind the operation at Boise?

C'mon Tini, the guy won 92 games over 8 years, it's not like he just coasted and benefitted from riding Hawk's coattails. The guy can coach.

Ok.

Who said I was excited about MM? You, so far...

For me, I'm not completely sold on him. He had a great record in the WAC, but when the competition stepped up a little by going to the MWC, he had his worst season so far. Wittingham and Patterson also won a lot of games in a smaller conference. I guess my biggest concern for him is whether he can recruit or not. He wasn't exactly bring in top recruits at Boise, but he'll have to at UW.

Ok.

When did Cincinnati join the MAC?

I don't care what conference you play in, going undefeated is a tough proposition - it means you have to have your team ready every game or a weak sister will knock you off. Petersen has done it 3 times in the regular season (losing once in the Bowl game). I have to shake my head that so many Buff fans see this as a questionable hire. If you look at it objectively it appears to be a better hire than than CU's hire of MacIntyre (at least on paper). I think some CU fans are desperate to manufacture hope.

This could be a great hire for Udub. I think Petersen will be a major upgrade from Sarkisian who tended to leave too many wins on the field. Petersen will not leave wins on the field.

The UW situation is pretty good, good support, good facilities, talent in the program. We will see how he will do in recruiting but he has a pretty good situation to recruit to in Washington.

I don't care what conference you play in, going undefeated is a tough proposition - it means you have to have your team ready every game or a weak sister will knock you off. Petersen has done it 3 times in the regular season (losing once in the Bowl game). I have to shake my head that so many Buff fans see this as a questionable hire. If you look at it objectively it appears to be a better hire than than CU's hire of MacIntyre (at least on paper). I think some CU fans are desperate to manufacture hope.

This could be a great hire for Udub. I think Petersen will be a major upgrade from Sarkisian who tended to leave too many wins on the field. Petersen will not leave wins on the field.

The UW situation is pretty good, good support, good facilities, talent in the program. We will see how he will do in recruiting but he has a pretty good situation to recruit to in Washington.
Boise was arguably a better job than CU after Hawk was fired. Not so much anymore, because I think they are coming somewhat back to Earth. I don't think Pete would've left Boise for CU, not that we would've wanted that after Hawk.

20131209chrispetersenpressintro_js_04.jpg

Do you even lift?

The metric for me is the duration of success. He's gone through multiple cycles of players and has kept the winning % very high. That's a big deal and a very good indicator.

He was winning in the second tier, true, but his own school and players are second tier.

The metric for me is the duration of success. He's gone through multiple cycles of players and has kept the winning % very high. That's a big deal and a very good indicator.

He was winning in the second tier, true, but his own school and players are second tier.
When you do it for a decade(or close to it), that's impressive in cfb especially as you get farther away from your predecessor.

Eh, Hawk's record was better then his predecessors there too.

Yeah with Chris Peterson as his OC all 5 years. That's not a coincidence unless you believe Boise is some magical program that wins regardless of who is coaching there.

Jesus Tini. You are aware of our coach's record in the WAC when we hired him right?

Edit: Glad Miami called you out on this.

I am fully aware of both records, but MM building SJSU into a 10 win team in three years is more impressive to me, especially since he is going to have to rebuild here to. I think Peterson is a good coach but can he handle the big increase in media exposure/criticism at UW and can he live up to the expectations that Husky fans have? I've got my concerns and Seattle isn't quiet little Boise, Idaho

I am fully aware of both records, but MM building SJSU into a 10 win team in three years is more impressive to me, especially since he is going to have to rebuild here to. I think Peterson is a good coach but can he handle the big increase in media exposure/criticism at UW and can he live up to the expectations that Husky fans have? I've got my concerns and Seattle isn't quiet little Boise, Idaho
Not sure I agree with you here, MM struck while the iron was hot with CU. If I'm not a CU fan, I'd like to see how long he could keep it up.

Not sure I agree with you here, MM struck while the iron was hot with CU. If I'm not a CU fan, I'd like to see how long he could keep it up.

Not totally sure what your point is here. How did MM strike when the iron was hot? CU was a hot mess when he took over last December. MM has been a part of two big, big building projects at Duke as a DC and then at SJSU so it's also not like it was one project. Most non-CU fans I've talked to also think MM is a damn good coach and will get us back on top, Tom Osborne also said he was a coaching superstar and he seems to be very well respected in coaching circles.

I agree with the rebuilding angle, but if you think there wasn't much pressure or media attention in Boise, what do you think it was like in San Jose?

Back