What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wasn't it two or three years ago that

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
most on this site were predicting 2010 would be the season we compete for the North and Big XII titles? That seems to be what I remember. Amazing how now everyone says we suck and will be at the bottom of the North.

2-10
6-7
5-7 - Am I the only one that tends to forget 2008 happened? I keep thinking 3-9 was Hawk's 3rd year.
3-9

happened

Your point dickwad?

:lol: I guess I just see a lot of irony there. We still have the same players most of us were all so high on. Also, it seems to me that we were predicting 2010 because most of us realized, at the time, that 2010 would be the year we finally matured. But now, everyone just throws that out and discounds it as meaningless.

most on this site were predicting 2010 would be the season we compete for the North and Big XII titles? That seems to be what I remember. Amazing how now everyone says we suck and will be at the bottom of the North.

Remember how at the beginning of the 2009 season most folks were predicting that we would win at least 8 games?

Funny thing about predictions--you become tired of getting burned after a while.

So you predicted a 3-9 season before 2010 success? You ARE a visionary.
No. That isn't my point. I was as disappointed with last year as anyone. But at least I see some reason for thinking that last year was more of an aberrition than a true indictment.

No. That isn't my point. I was as disappointed with last year as anyone. But at least I see some reason for thinking that last year was more of an aberrition than a true indictment.

Please elaborate? What's changed since the end of crapfest that was the 2009 CU Football season?

2-10
6-7
5-7 - Am I the only one that tends to forget 2008 happened? I keep thinking 3-9 was Hawk's 3rd year.
3-9

happened
wow, pretty consistently ****ty.

What in gods name makes you think last year was an ABERRITION? :wink2: I mean, :wtf: Hawk has been nothing if not consistently ****ty.

Not sure what the "irony" is.

I, for one, still think we have the players and athletes to compete; it is the coaching and failure to develop that talent that has thrown me off my prediction that 2010 would be the year of the Buffalo.

It was this staff's fourth consecutive losing season. While there was some youth, we returned a ton of experience (especially on offense where we struggled the most), but our team also stayed pretty healthy and played an agreeable schedule. Why was last season an "aberrrition" in your mind? Or did you improperly spell "abortion"?

What in the name of all that is sweaty at Cafe Roma, makes you think 2009 was an aberration?

I thought you are supposed to get better each year as you coach up your players with your system. Hawkins best year was with players from the coach that "burned the place to the ground". Hawkins is a total ass that is unable to coach at this level. As long as he is at CU a good season will be wining 5 games and just missing out on the invite to the Taco Bell-Jiffy Lube Football Is Fun Bowl that is played on December 12 in some crappy city with the nearest airport a 4 hour drive and broadcast on some random TV station that is only carried by a local cable company in Nome Alaska.

I thought you are supposed to get better each year as you coach up your players with your system. Hawkins best year was with players from the coach that "burned the place to the ground". Hawkins is a total ass that is unable to coach at this level. As long as he is at CU a good season will be wining 5 games and just missing out on the invite to the Taco Bell-Jiffy Lube Football Is Fun Bowl that is played on December 12 in some crappy city with the nearest airport a 4 hour drive and broadcast on some random TV station that is only carried by a local cable company in Nome Alaska.
LOL--I thought that game was played in Shreveport....

It should have looked like this imo:
2-10
6-7 (caused optimism)
3-9 (injury plagued, squeezed out at least 2 wins we didn't deserve at home)
3-9 (epic failure)

If I could "resolve" what happened in 2009, I'd be a huge optimist for 2010 as I finally see ALL positions covered adequately by guys that have been here a few years. But I haven't been able to resolve them so I'm hesitant at best, but remain hopeful if not optimistic.

2009 we lost our O-line coach right before the spring and then our O-Coordinator right before the summer. I think we were optimistic about what we had in players and the abilities of Kiesau to go from WR coach to OC, while changing the offense to a power running team, under a totally different run-blocking philosophy and make it work.

We knew we had holes at WR and playmakers in general on offense. I think we talked ourselves into Simmons & Simas solving all those problems.

We knew we had an unproven O-Line. We put a lot of faith in Givens as an undersized OT and freshman to boot. Miller switching to OG. An unproven center (Iltis) coming off major surgery, and a few guards to fill the other side who played in 2008, but not well. For the 2nd year in a row, the O-Line was the root of the problems on offense. Have we gotten better? I'd like to think another year under Denver J and the maturing of the youngs guys will make it happen. We will finally have upperclassmen in 3 or 4 of the spots on the Line. But it also appears the staff (by recruiting the JC kid Richter) believe we need more talent. So, I'm a bit unsure here on this one. Without vast improvement here, all bets are off.

The Defense started horribly (CSU and Toledo). It was never better than adequate. I expect it will be better as the DL play should be much better and we will have 2 of the best CB's in the B12.

Hansen was better each week as was Simas. Adding in Clemons and the WR redshirts could help some more. Maybe Simmons becomes a factor?

But I can't resolve how come the O-Line was this bad. If it was an aberation due to a new coach and young guys, then maybe. maybe?

I think that's the obvious view. But I have made the case before that the true effects of the burning to the ground was in recruiting and transfers that occurred in 2004 and 2005. Those things don't hit a program hard until about 3 and 4 years later when your Senior and Junior classes are devoid of D1 football players. Normally, even when a coach is fired, there are full classes of recruits left behind to work with. That wasn't the case imo here as Betsy ran them all off.

P.S. I have never used "burned to the ground" as an attack on GB. It wasn't burned by the coaches it was burned by the scandal, the admin, the board of regents, charges of "Boulder being Racist, etc."....

None of the above is an excuse for us going backwards in 2009 imo either. I can't resolve it.

C'mon old fella, "last year was an aberration"? Are you freaking kidding me? How is it an aberration when the previous three years weren't any better? It seems to me that it was the polar opposite of an aberration, meaning it represented the norm we should have expected.

I think we were predicting 2010 was the year we'd be ready to compete for the north, even the conference. But nobody saw 3-9 in 2009. Seeing where we are now, I think we have to rethink the 2010 predictions...

Yes but noboby was predicting only 3 wins in 09

Why do you do this to yourself DBT? Why? You knew what you would unlock when you made these statements. Abberation....why start another one of these threads.
:blah:

Man, all you guys are saying he meant aberration? Dammit, I thought he had misspelled APPARITION meaning last year was just a ghost that was never there!

With everything that's happened during this tenure, I just have to temper any feeling of optimism I get regarding this team with a heavy dose of cynicism to ensure I don't endure a another season of depression like this year.

Next year's attitude...?:bounce:

[video=youtube;mBS0OWGUidc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0OWGUidc[/video]

It is meaningless, we now have 2-3 years of actual facts to dismiss what were optimistic projections. The truth hurts.

:huh: DBT, when your record gets worse while your schedule and experience improves, it's not aberration, it's a disaster.

Why do you do this to yourself DBT? Why? You knew what you would unlock when you made these statements. Abberation....why start another one of these threads.
:blah:

Thats what I don't get. Posters can start threads, ad nauseum, about how horrible "Squawkins" is, how bad the administration is, how horrible we will be next year, blah, blah, blah. But if anyone tries to post a thread every once in a while that is a bit positive, well, look out!

Yeah, I admit, I do not really know what to expect next season. You guys are all focusing on the negatives to argue that next season will be a disaster. I try, at least, to look at some positives. Your biggest argument is that Hawkins can't coach. Maybe he can't, but how do you explain his success prior to coming here? That is what I cannot reconcile in my mind. I think a lot of it has to do with not getting the staff in place that he wanted and then, add to that, the constant changes in the staff since. So, at least in some part, I think there has been a continuity problem with the staff. Changing OC's, a different line coach every year, etc. This year, I see that stabilizing, hopefully, with Kiesau and Johnson coming back.

Next, everyone loves to yell "NO MORE EXCUSES" when youth is brought up. And, to a degree, sure, even younger guys should be able to compete. But remember my post way back? Of Hawkin's recruiting classes, there are 3 seniors on the team right now and 9 juniors. All the rest are freshmen and sophomores. And you know what, I saw improvement in those guys toward the end of the year.

I believe, and I know you consiracists believe Hawkins will do anthing to start Cody, but I believe that we have finally stabilized at QB with Hansen. I think the kid has a certain amount of star power and, now, experience to go with it. I think our O line IS as good as advertixed and will totally come together this year. Add to that a much improved receiving corps and I think our offense will be much better than last year. Also, I'm believing what I hear about Thornton at TE: That he will be a beast.

Our LB's and DL will be improved and, I thought, started to show it against Okie State and 'braska. Jimmy Smith will be back to lead a good group of DBacks. Our kicking game, I hear Grossnickle is the real deal, will be much better.

But the main thing is this. We were within 3 of WV going to the fourth quarter. We led Texas for 2 1/2 quarters. We easily could have/should have beaten both Okie St. and 'braska. We put more offense on 'braska than any team all year, inculding Texas. I also hear that the players are very pissed about last year and very focusued. I believe that there is a new resolve that has not been here before.

So, like I've said many times before, that is my deal. I may damned well be all wet and proven the fool. Time will tell on that. If I'm wrong, we get a new coach. If I'm right, then maybe this thing will turn around. I believe in the power of positive thinking, I really do. I hope you guys can respect that.

Meanwhile, the drugs are kicking in. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It is meaningless, we now have 2-3 years of actual facts to dismiss what were optimistic projections. The truth hurts.
I'd argue we have 1 year, 2009 of actual facts. 2008 was going to be a big question mark no matter what as we had no skill athletes and no O-Line coming back. Then the injuries created devastation. That's why we were all optimistic that 2009 would be a great year because all these freshmen played on the O-Line in '08.

I think there's a chance that we will look back on '09 as an aberration. I have excuses for '08. The O-Line was devastated and we had no chance with Freshmen playing LG, RT, and RG most of the year. We then panicked and thru Hansen in there who clearly wasn't ready for that in '08. I can't make excuses for '09. We were still young, but improvement was hard to find.

Hawkin's first real class was the '06 class. Those guys are now entering their Junior year and a lot of them have played. We enter '09 without needing to fill a bunch of spots like DL, WR etc with unknowns. TE and Safety are the only question marks for me, and we have guys who've played available there.

So I remain concerned, but not entirely convinced that this staff can't coach. If we can't win in '10, I'll be 100% convinced. But I remain hopeful that it could be very different. Just maybe......

Back