What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wasn't it two or three years ago that

Buy low. Sell high. CU is a bargain right now.

So far as I can tell, DiStephano is heading for a bunch of faculty lay-off due to funding issues and he doesn't want to be paying replacement prices for a new coach on top of a buyout. Things would be different in an economic boom time.

That's how it goes for Colorado and CU football. It's a boom/bust cycle. CU won't stay down forever, and will probably do slightly better in 2010, which is not saying much after 3-9.

I don't see the OL or WR or QB play being any worse. The RB depth is worse, but production should improve. Hansen has shown he can stretch the field with a multi-headed WR corps and his mobility gives defenses more to key in on than just stopping speedy (or B-lock). And while the defensive backfield is not expected to improve, atleast the offense should be able to put up more than 20, which will take some pressure off of them. The DL might actually be better with experience.

Even a blind pig can find an acorn every once in a while. The B12 was worse in 2009 than in 2008. I see that trend continuing with the loss off Mangino and Pirate Mike. Every team CU faces next year not named Oklahoma is facing the same budgetary crunch as the Buffs. Hawkins will finally bust his B12 road skid in 2010 against KU. Based on talent, CU should be competitive with ISU and Kjuco. Mizzou in Columbia is my road game pick because nobody expects the Buffs to beat Mizzou, including Mizzou. The CU upperclassmen ought to be able to shed all that "stay out of the peaks and valleys" for that one and extract some payback.

NU, OU, Mizzou and UGA looks like 3 losses and 1 upset.
KSU, ISU, BU, TTU, Cal looks like 2 and 3
CSU, HI, KU looks like 2 and 1.

5-7. No bowl.

Here is the deal. There are very strong arguments on both sides of this. All we can really do is wait and see. I just get a kick out of being a contrarian and stirring the pot a bit. Admit it, you guys love it. I honestly understand everyone's points of view and see the validity in your argumets. I sure as hell wouldn't put a big bet on my side of this. I am not so sure that next year will turn around to the point that I'd bet on my side. In the same context, I don't understand how you guys can be 100% certain that Hawkins simply cannot coach or that we don't have the talent. I think that a point can be argued that Hawkins can coach (he's been successful in the past) and that youth has hurt (last year we were mostly freshmen and sophomores), etc. Unlike you guys, I guess, I just kind of enjoy the ride. I think the uncertainty is kind of interesting and fun.

And you know what, I WANT to see CU blow away all the critics. That is what is really fun to me. Just like the Rockies. The most fun of the whole thing was seeing the national / local media and negative fans eat crow.

Actually DBT there aren't strong arguments on both sides. There are only strong arguments on one side. Every person who knows college football was left scratching their heads as to why Hawk was retained. The "pessimists" and Hawk bashers as you so like to call us have stood almost totally united behind the guy for over 3 years. We see the writing on the wall and you in your senility don't. So let me make it crystal clear for you: WE ARE RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG!

Your pathetic arguments are getting really old. I hope you are realizing that you are setting yourself up for the biggest "I told you so" anal rape of all time in 2010 on allbuffs. Hope you enjoy it when it happens, cause I'll be one of the first in line.

Actually DBT there aren't strong arguments on both sides. There are only strong arguments on one side. Every person who knows college football was left scratching their heads as to why Hawk was retained. The "pessimists" and Hawk bashers as you so like to call us have stood almost totally united behind the guy for over 3 years. We see the writing on the wall and you in your senility don't. So let me make it crystal clear for you: WE ARE RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG!

Your pathetic arguments are getting really old. I hope you are realizing that you are setting yourself up for the biggest "I told you so" anal rape of all time in 2010 on allbuffs. Hope you enjoy it when it happens, cause I'll be one of the first in line.
**** off you piece of ****. I know I've put a lot on the line but at least I TRY to do it with class. That is, until I get posts like this.

**** off you piece of ****. I know I've put a lot on the line but at least I TRY to do it with class. That is, until I get posts like this.

Hawk is that you? Your record with winning arguments with class is about as good as your record winning football games with class. Wasn't a big deal after you posted your opinion once or twice, but after you have started numerous threads (and you KNOW you are stirring the pot) basically stating the same thing, it gets REALLY ****ING OLD. You've made your point. We ****ing get it! Time to move on.

Hawk is that you? Your record with winning arguments with class is about as good as your record winning football games with class. Wasn't a big deal after you posted your opinion once or twice, but after you have started numerous threads (and you KNOW you are stirring the pot) basically stating the same thing, it gets REALLY ****ING OLD. You've made your point. We ****ing get it! Time to move on.
So, your idea of "winning" an argument is to call me "senile" and saying I will "get anal raped," and saying "WE ARE RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG." You're telling me that I keep bringing up the same stuff all the time, yet you have no problem with yourself and all of your cohorts bashing the program ad nauseum? OK, I undertstand the rules. I have to sit on the side and keep my mouth shut while you and your buddies bash everything you can regarding the CU football program. You are pure class.

So, your idea of "winning" an argument is to call me "senile" and saying I will "get anal raped," and saying "WE ARE RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG." You're telling me that I keep bringing up the same stuff all the time, yet you have no problem with yourself and all of your cohorts bashing the program ad nauseum? OK, I undertstand the rules. I have to sit on the side and keep my mouth shut while you and your buddies bash everything you can regarding the CU football program. You are pure class.

Nice try misdirecting old man, but it is absolutely false. I nor almost any Hawk basher, oh which by the way includes the vast majority of former players, has EVER bashed CU football. What we are attacking is the poor coaching and administration that has steered this program into its first four consecutive losing seasons stretch EVER. Let me repeat that again: it's first four consecutive losing seasons EVER. CU football has never been worse, that is a fact. What we are trying to make clear is that the state of the football program that we love, is absolutely unacceptable. If anything it could be argued that it is you that is bashing the program, because you appear to be an apologist for what is happening to CU football. Almost every former player that has gone on record has stated how disgusted and heart broken they are with the state of the program, yet you seem to think that they are all wrong and we should stay the course. Seriously sit and think about that for a second.

Last edited:
Not really, because I don't start countless threads about it. Nice try though.

But you have made your point re: DBT, it is getting OLD, we do ****ing get it and it is time to move on.

I agree with you about Hawk. I can't be optimistic as long as he's there. But those that are have just as much right to express themselves as anybody else.

Last edited:
But you have made your point re: DBT, it is getting OLD, we do ****ing get it and it is time to move on.

I agree with you about Hawk. I can't be optimistic as long as he's there. But those that are have just as much right to express themselves as anybody else.

Junction, you are absolutely right. I know we are all passionate about the Buffs. I just wish that DBT would understand that while he absolutely has a right to his opinion, it would be considered polite and greatly appreciated by a large portion of his Buff brethren that since he has made his stance on the situation clearly he could move on, and for lack of a better term shut the **** up.

Don't be that guy that everybody avoids DBT, like the guy at the office with really bad breath! You can stand by your opinion, but enough with starting threads with the same basic goal of flaming and controversy.

Last edited:
Junction, you are absolutely right. I know we are all passionate about the Buffs. I just wish that DBT would understand that while he absolutely has a right to his opinion, it would be considered polite and greatly appreciated by a large portion of his Buff brethren that since he has made his stance on the situation clearly he could move on, and for lack of a better term shut the **** up.

Don't be that guy that everybody avoids DBT, like the guy at the office with really bad breath! You can stand by your opinion, but enough with starting threads with the same basic goal of flaming and controversy.

Meanwhile, if CU loses next year, like you hope, I guess you'll be in front of the line for the gang rape according to your post above.

Hell, for one, all I posted was that it is ironic how three years ago we were all looking forward to 2010. Then I posted some reasons why we may be better than a lot of people think. That is all I did. I did not disrespect anyone's opinion otherwise and even stated that I understand why people feel that way. Next thing I know, you are calling me "senile" and looking forward to anally raping me next year. WTF?

Aside from the fusker idots, nobody here hopes that.
I'd hope not. But, if people are so sure CU is goinig to lose almost every game, then why even bother talking about them. Honestly, if you are so sure of the outcome, why even bother watching? Just go play golf or something. Isn't following a team all about pulling for your team and finding reason to believe in them? That's the way I am. I always try to find a reason to believe my team can beat their team. If I were absolutely sure we had no chance, I don't think I'd even bother watching. By that same logic, if people chose to follow and watch the team each week, then they must have some belief, some hope, that their team has a chance, don't they? So why is it out of order to discuss WHY you think your team has a chance?

And, frankly, to be accused of being senile and being told I am wrong and that I will be analy gang raped at the end of the season because I try to find reasons to believe we are going to win is very offensive to me. I wasn't even in a bad mood until whatshis**** posted that garbage.

I'd hope not. But, if people are so sure CU is goinig to lose almost every game, then why even bother talking about them. Honestly, if you are so sure of the outcome, why even bother watching? Just go play golf or something. Isn't following a team all about pulling for your team and finding reason to believe in them? That's the way I am. I always try to find a reason to believe my team can beat their team. If I were absolutely sure we had no chance, I don't think I'd even bother watching. By that same logic, if people chose to follow and watch the team each week, then they must have some belief, some hope, that their team has a chance, don't they? So why is it out of order to discuss WHY you think your team has a chance?

And, frankly, to be accused of being senile and being told I am wrong and that I will be analy gang raped at the end of the season because I try to find reasons to believe we are going to win is very offensive to me. I wasn't even in a bad mood until whatshis**** posted that garbage.

And I don't blame you. But I don't think being a fan is only about finding reasons they're going to be good. It's about pulling for them and wanting the best for them, but also about being realistic. I don't want them to lose, I don't think anybody here wants them to lose. I think everybody wants them to win just as much as you do. But for most of us, discussing the team includes discussing the good AND the bad. And realizing that there has been a hell of a lot more bad than good under this coaching staff....

And I don't blame you. But I don't think being a fan is only about finding reasons they're going to be good. It's about pulling for them and wanting the best for them, but also about being realistic. I don't want them to lose, I don't think anybody here wants them to lose. I think everybody wants them to win just as much as you do. But for most of us, discussing the team includes discussing the good AND the bad. And realizing that there has been a hell of a lot more bad than good under this coaching staff....
And I don't disagree with that. At the end of the season I was on board with firing Hawkins and, when he wasn't, making changes in the staff. I have no control over that. And since it didn't happen, I don't see why its a crime to look at the team and evaluate where I think they could be better. I don't see why I always have to end up being the bad guy, getting called names and getting personally attacked for just trying to point out areas where I honestly think there will be improvement next year. And I GUARANTEE you that there are those who, while not wanting CU to lose, want to see Dan Hawkins fail. And when I give even some semblance of pulling for him to show he can coach and hope that he does turn it around, there are a few, not many, but a few here that rake me over the coals and call me a "Hawkins lover," which isn't even close to the truth. I'm no big fan of his. He has given me very little reason to like him or defend him. He does stupid **** that makes me roll my eyes. But I hope he gets over that stuff, turns it around, and makes me a believer in him. A lot of people want him to fall on his face and prove their disdain for him so that they can say "I told you so!!!" And some, it seem, would like to see me gang raped if CU does fail. :lol:

Last edited:
Hell, for one, all I posted was that it is ironic how three years ago we were all looking forward to 2010. Then I posted some reasons why we may be better than a lot of people think. That is all I did. I did not disrespect anyone's opinion otherwise and even stated that I understand why people feel that way. Next thing I know, you are calling me "senile" and looking forward to anally raping me next year. WTF?

Hey Alanis, it's not ironic; it's a bummer. It's a disappointment. There is a difference.

Ironic is when a guy named skidmark wears clean underwear.

Tennesse fans must feel as thrown under the bus by their administration as we do. They hired a third tier coach because he was the only one they could find that would keep $3 million worth of mediocre assistants that he didn't hire.

Hawk_aid.jpg
No. That isn't my point. I was as disappointed with last year as anyone. But at least I see some reason for thinking that last year was more of an aberrition than a true indictment.

Please give it a rest !

Feel free to ignore the fact that Holliday ended up signing a contract with the Cardinals for the same annual salary the Rockies offered him, and that nobody else in baseball lined up to pay him that kind of money through the age of 38 when he did become a free agent. Ignore the fact that they've already given guys like Tulo, Iannetta, Corpass and Jimenez new contracts. So much easier to just repeat the stereotypes...

Also, please list all the other great players the Rockies have allowed to walk away rather than pay them. We've been over it a million times here, but there are a LOT more examples of them screwing up by giving big contracts than by refusing to pay people. They may not have the Yankme's payroll, but who does?

Back to the topic. What people were seeing 2 or 3 years ago was the building blocks for a talented team. A few of those building blocks are gone, but even worse is that we saw last year that this coaching staff can't win even with the ones who remain. The talent was there last year. The talent is there again, allowing for some holes. But why should we all suddenly start believing this staff is going to start producing a winner? History tells us otherwise...

Stop confusing people with the facts. The Rockies are solidly in the middle of the pack as far as payroll for MLB and have been moving up that list, not down it over the past few years.

As one who loves the Buffs and respects Hawk as a person I have called for his replacement as HC but will support the team this upcoming season, hoping for better results than I expect.

When Hawk was hired I was excited and a big supporter. I know that lots of people here like to credit Petterson and others with his success at Boise but he was the man in charge and he won a lot of games. You don't do that unless you know something about coaching football. The trouble is that he is the man in charge here now and has lost a lot of games, again people can blame a lot of other factors but after four years it comes back to him and based on the last two seasons I have not seen evidence on the field to convince me that things are about to change.

We have some talented players, many of whom are just now coming into the point in their college careers where they would be expected to shine. Unfortunately this is the Big XII, everybody has some talented young players who are ready to come into their own and show what they can do. We have had some key injuries and lost some key players to non-football issues, again this happens to everybody, we are not alone in these issues.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong because I would love for this team to have significant success. I would like to see Hawkins win and return to the success he had at Boise at the Big XII level, he is a guy who has cleaned up the image of the program, recruits quality kids, and graduates them. I truly believe that he is the kind of guy that many parents would want to trust with the development of their sons as people.

The trouble is that it just has not happened on the field. The Buffs are one of the most penalized teams in all of college football, mostly based on the type of penalties that show a lack of discipline, not from agressiveness. Every game we see false starts, illegal formations, illegal shifts, ineligible downfield, etc. Virtually every game we see this team using timeouts due to confusion about personel on the field, getting into the proper formation etc. For four years we have seen a team that has problems simply calling a play, getting the right players on the field, lining up, and snapping the ball before the playclock expires. Winning coaches get this part down in the first year. We have seen constant indecision over starting line-ups, playing time, which position a player will play at, etc. To make things worse some of our worst preparation has been for teams that we have no excuse for losing to but we have managed to do so, sometimes in embarassing fashion. If we are getting beat by Texas, OU, WVU, Georgia, etc. then I don't like it but I can understand it, those teams beat a lot of people who have quality teams. Losing to Montana State, Toledo, CSU, Iowa State multiple times, KSU, etc. is inexcusable for a team the stature of Colorado.

Like it or not, Hawkins is our coach for 2010. As a Buff fan I will hope every week that we win and would love to see Hawk make college footballs greatest turnaround for his sake and the sake of the team. I just simply don't believe it will happen based on the facts we have seen on the field so far.

The problem now is that the enthusiasm that was present in Hawks first couple of real recruiting years has passed as well. Some kids are still believing it can happen, a lot more look at the results on the field over the past four years and understand that if they come to CU they will either be playing for a coach who has failed to turn it around or more likely will play most of their careers for a different coach who eventually replaces Hawkins and is unknown to them now.

Stop confusing people with the facts. The Rockies are solidly in the middle of the pack as far as payroll for MLB and have been moving up that list, not down it over the past few years.

As one who loves the Buffs and respects Hawk as a person I have called for his replacement as HC but will support the team this upcoming season, hoping for better results than I expect.

When Hawk was hired I was excited and a big supporter. I know that lots of people here like to credit Petterson and others with his success at Boise but he was the man in charge and he won a lot of games. You don't do that unless you know something about coaching football. The trouble is that he is the man in charge here now and has lost a lot of games, again people can blame a lot of other factors but after four years it comes back to him and based on the last two seasons I have not seen evidence on the field to convince me that things are about to change.

We have some talented players, many of whom are just now coming into the point in their college careers where they would be expected to shine. Unfortunately this is the Big XII, everybody has some talented young players who are ready to come into their own and show what they can do. We have had some key injuries and lost some key players to non-football issues, again this happens to everybody, we are not alone in these issues.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong because I would love for this team to have significant success. I would like to see Hawkins win and return to the success he had at Boise at the Big XII level, he is a guy who has cleaned up the image of the program, recruits quality kids, and graduates them. I truly believe that he is the kind of guy that many parents would want to trust with the development of their sons as people.

The trouble is that it just has not happened on the field. The Buffs are one of the most penalized teams in all of college football, mostly based on the type of penalties that show a lack of discipline, not from agressiveness. Every game we see false starts, illegal formations, illegal shifts, ineligible downfield, etc. Virtually every game we see this team using timeouts due to confusion about personel on the field, getting into the proper formation etc. For four years we have seen a team that has problems simply calling a play, getting the right players on the field, lining up, and snapping the ball before the playclock expires. Winning coaches get this part down in the first year. We have seen constant indecision over starting line-ups, playing time, which position a player will play at, etc. To make things worse some of our worst preparation has been for teams that we have no excuse for losing to but we have managed to do so, sometimes in embarassing fashion. If we are getting beat by Texas, OU, WVU, Georgia, etc. then I don't like it but I can understand it, those teams beat a lot of people who have quality teams. Losing to Montana State, Toledo, CSU, Iowa State multiple times, KSU, etc. is inexcusable for a team the stature of Colorado.

Like it or not, Hawkins is our coach for 2010. As a Buff fan I will hope every week that we win and would love to see Hawk make college footballs greatest turnaround for his sake and the sake of the team. I just simply don't believe it will happen based on the facts we have seen on the field so far.

The problem now is that the enthusiasm that was present in Hawks first couple of real recruiting years has passed as well. Some kids are still believing it can happen, a lot more look at the results on the field over the past four years and understand that if they come to CU they will either be playing for a coach who has failed to turn it around or more likely will play most of their careers for a different coach who eventually replaces Hawkins and is unknown to them now.

Well said and not all that far off of where I'm coming from.

So, Hawk would be a better coach if he'd have gotten beaten by Wyoming????:confused::confused::confused:

No he'd be a better coach had he gone to a bowl game and WON and had a winning season HIS first year. Amazing how lowly wyoming can accomplish this feat yet our coach hasn't in 4 years.

Back