1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch parties across the nation

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by NBDefektor, Aug 24, 2009.

1. NBDefektor

NBDefektor Well-Known Member

Hey guys, this has come up when talking it over with a Buff alum in Portland, and I was just curious, for those of you that attend watch parties outside of Colorado, what the general atmosphere is at your particular viewing?

As I alluded to, Portland watch parties seem to be very cordial and proper. I'll be hitting up the San Diego watch party and am hoping for a little more, um, spirit. So that got me wondering what the rest of you have experienced when meeting up with perfect strangers to root on the black and gold. Oh, and feel free to rebuke me on the stuffy portland crowd. :thumbsup:

2. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

Here in DC, our crowds tend to be on the younger side, so the watch party tends to more "party" than "watch". If there is an opposing fan, there will be some light-hearted trash, but we're generally very nice to them if they aren't assholes.

EDIT: I would add that high-fives are passed around liberally when good plays happen, and for we sign the fight song after every score.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  3. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

My wife & I went to one in Old Town San Diego (Gaslight district) about 6 years ago. It was alot more fun than we thought it would be. Especially around people we didn't know. Just wear your BUFF gear and they will accept you as one of their own.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  4. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

check out the san fran party, i hear its fun. :smile2:

5. '05 Buff

'05 Buff Member

In Chicago a good amount of former Buffs watch at The Fireplace Inn. The environment is pretty good, obviously better during the seasons the team is winning games.

6. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

San Fran party is pretty wild with lots of beer drinking, chanting, fight-song singing, and game watching. Last year we drank the bar out of beer twice. It's really fun. We'll see what it's like this year though, as the venue has changed. As long as we are playing well, there should be hundreds of folks for the sf watch parties.

7. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I will be there for the Texas game on 10/10. Might need to be really drunk to watch that game :wow:

8. PurifydatA$$

PurifydatA$$ Member

IF there are any Buffs in South Florida on these boards, let's put together a watch party!!!! :thumbsup:

Who's in???

9. Daaah

The new bar can be found at http://www.norcalbuffs.com/.

From last years WVU game:
    The San Francisco Watch Party at Jones Sports Bar was also a huge success! We brought in hundreds of CU alumni and JONES brought in the Coors Light Girls and created satellite bar stations to keep the beer flowing throughout the game. CU fans drank nearly 100 cases of beer and 8 kegs!​
    Colorado is JONES’ number 1 crowd and they will continue to be our bar of choice for the entire football season! TV upgrades will be present for the upcoming CU - Florida State game!

From the CSU game:​
    Our last Watch Party held At JONES Sports Bar on 31 Aug 2008 was larger than expected. The JONES staff was under prepared for the estimated 400+ CU alumni and friends that watched the game. JONES said that they had 200+ on Saturday for the USC-Virginia game and the bar was pretty packed, but the CU crowd dwarfed the USC crowd to the point that the bar RAN OUT OF BEER. They had to make a beer run to Safeway just to have bottles to hand out to Buff fans!
    Of course this upset both CU fans and the bar owners. Thus, the management team promises to be prepared for our large CU crowd for ALL Future games! They will have additional bartenders, servers, and kitchen staff and have LOWERED their prices to CU BUFFS only (not other schools):

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I know there are thousands of CU alumni in the Bay area.

11. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

we play cal there in a few years right? should have an awesome turnout at that game.

12. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Should be fun. :thumbsup:

13. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

I have made this plea before without success, if anyone knows of watch parties in Phoenix, please let me know. I noticed there is no longer an alumni chapter in Phoenix, which is strange given the number of alumni I know must live in the Phoenix area.

14. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

what happened to the bayside on union street?

(been a while since i have been in the bay area for a watch party, but they always had a good crowd at that bar for the games.)

i remember when the watch parties were at dooley's pub on the west end of lombard, and the final final on baker street. both of those places were waaaaay too small for the buff alumni crowd. i think dooleys has been shut down for years because the owners were involved in a gambling ring, but i don't know about the final final...you ever been there, daaah?

15. Daaah

Bayside shut down. That was the best place to watch buffs games. Oh well.

I've never been to the final final as I try to avoid the Marina at all costs unless the buffs' bar happens to there and it's a saturday in fall.

16. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The watch party at Cane's is pretty good, you'll enjoy.

17. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

My personal favorite...[​IMG]

ya ya I know :asshole:

18. FChairbanks

FChairbanks muthaka slayer Club Member

:gasp:

see what happens when i leave...things fall to ****.

:huh:

:smile2:

19. Daaah

Yeah, it's been unoccupied for two years or so now.

20. sackman

What? Worried about an earthquake liquifying the infill?

:lol:

21. Daaah

No, it's more the douche bag quotient that keeps me away.

22. sackman

Gotcha. It's a neat part of town, though. The exploratorium is sweet.

23. Daaah

Oh yeah, it's pretty nice out that way. I just dislike the bar scene in that area.

24. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

It's already been filled and you're on the waiting list?? :smile2:

25. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Last year I got emails from the Alumni Association for each game's watch party...almost all of them were at Monty's in Coconut Grove...unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to any of them as my schedule often requires weekend work, so I have no idea what the crowds were like there...haven't gotten one yet for the CSU game so Im not sure if they are doing that again this year...

26. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

Watch parties in Atlanta used to be at a cool spot, Jock & Jills. Changing this year though. Pretty fun once you get past all the SEC homers and BS conference trash talking..

27. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

I know the ADA is an important piece of legislation, but I was unaware that we were required to "sign" the fight song. That one is probably safe but I'd be careful signing the "Hey" song! F'em up, F'em up, Go CU!

28. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

:lol: You're not a real fan unless you can "sing" the fight song in sign language.

29. GratefulBuff

GratefulBuff New Member

I'm searching for a Phx CU watch party also. Please post something if you find one. Otherwise, we'll have to start one ourselves. Saturdays = Beers + Buffs!

Additionally, to all you LA Buffs, the best place to watch CU games is in Manhattan Beach at Grunion's. The place is magic. Cheap beers, friendly (hot) bartenders, great food, and more than enough BUFFS to scream and sing fight songs with! Remember, you don't have to be at Folsom to have a marshmallow fight.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    FlatironsBuff likes this.
  30. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

I wonder if I could sucessfully organize one here?:rolleyes: