1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way Too Early Top 25 (Buffs 16th)

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by CVilleBuff, Apr 8, 2013.

1. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...25-2013-14-season-ncaa-men-college-basketball

Note where Kansas is (20th). We are catching them at a good time, it would appear.

Don't buy Stanford at 24th. Yeah, on paper they should be good. However, Dawkins is Dawkins. The puzzling mediocrity is always going to be there with him.

And yeah, I'll be a homer and point out that Virginia should clearly be in there. They're going to a downright nasty team next year. If you want your sleeper, it's them. Trust me on that one. They've been loading up the young talent, they lose basically no one and were extremely young this year (very similar to CU in that regard) and transfer Anthony Gill is a man among boys.

Doesn't look like a banner year for the Pac -- here's hoping CU helps carry the flag in a big way and represent.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Interesting to see them have us so high. I was thinking we would start the season between 20 and 25 but finish the season in the top 15. Thought it would be more of a respect issue as we have not proved that we can take it to the next level. Nice to see that this team is getting some national respect even if it is the way to early prediction. Nice company to be in.

3. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Great to see the recognition. Now comes the next step - proving we belong. That's not as easy as it sounds. So many of the trendy "up and comers" over the years have failed to live up to it. Thankfully, we've got a coach who I'm confident will keep the guys levelheaded. While some media may be giving us respect, there's still a vast majority of casual fan out there with no respect or knowledge of the ascension CU basketball. This team needs to come out with a chip on their shoulder and cement ourselves as a perennial contender in the Pac and one of the best programs in the West.

4. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

That is kind of why I was thinking we would start in the lower portion of the top 25. This team has proving to do and I agree with on the Tad factor. We have the right coach who will be good at keeping that chip on their shoulder. It is so much fun to be a fan of this team right now and I cannot wait for next season. I think it could be very special and think it is the year they prove they belong. Keep on building and proving!

5. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

He assumes Dre comes back. I hope he's right.

7. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I want to see who's going to be on the roster before I think about preseason rankings.

8. BuffHerd

BuffHerd Club Member Club Member

excellent point. Cant let this opportunity pass Buffs. KU will be relevant by seasons end for sure. Good to get them early and at home.

9. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

surprised Cal isn't on the list, they seem to be ignoring people leaving early. Michigan? I thought almost the entire roster was coming back.

10. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

AZ, Duke, FLA and Memphis are all over-rated. Each loses its top three scorers and yet, all but Memphis bounce back into the Top 10 without a hitch! Yeah, right!

Same with the 'Cuse, they lose two of their best to graduation and possibly their best guard to the NBA and Boeheim "finds ways" ???? Cal would have been a better choice than 'Furd; or even hated ASU....their coachs are each 10X the coach that Dawkins is. Kansas loses five starters? Who besides Ellis is worth spit? Plus no Withey to make up for frosh mistakes on "D". Gonzaga is fringe Top 25 without Olenyk.

Under-rated: UNewMex, new(read "better") coach; St Louis and Wich St. Buffs a little higher than expected, but Boyle with four, maybe five starters returning and a deeper bench just with RSs, can't be overlooked.

But, as you said its way too early

11. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat

12. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

Way too early for any of this.

13. jwhite17

jwhite17 Member

Wow. I love to see us ranked in preseason polls, but I can't believe we are getting that much respect considering our up and down team this year.

Our team has shown flashes of brillance but for us to take the next level, we need to be more consistent, we can't beat Arizona and then lose to ASU two days later.

We can't have loses to teams like Utah or Oregon State.

I hope our players can stay humble and hungry because we haven't really had any preaseason rankings before. This is new territory for the Buffs! Great to see!

14. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Way to early to make way too early predictions? Not really.

15. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I can't help but think we are ranked higher than we should be. Unless the rest of the teams take a huge step back, the step we are taking forward shouldn't propel us to #12. That's pretty lofty company right there.

16. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I am glad the team was able to grab a top 25 spot this year for a few weeks to get a taste of the attention they are about to receive. Love the respect, but the expectations make me nervous. They shouldn't, but the state of the football program has left me very skiddish of high expectations. Here is to hoping Boyle can change the motivation from not receiving any respect, to proving the world right and living up to expectations. Buffs likely #2/#3 in Pac-12 preseason poll.

17. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Its a #3 seed in the tourney. Think about that

18. tante

this is from cbs:

it seems like Gordon and Jenkins are being completely dismissed.

19. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

They won't be for long.

20. tante

I actually like the cbs poll more than espn. They have michigan and virginia in the top 25. Wisco at 13 (and us at 12) is a bit tough to defend and I would like to see UConn and Georgetown on the list too, but cbs seems to have put some decent effort on the list.

21. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

22. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

we certainly have the worst record this year of any of the teams in the top 15 or so. Lots of recognition that we lose almost nothing.

23. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

24. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

It's only natural to have these "way too early" rankings. Once one season is done, just about everyone but the champs likes to focus on the next season. In college sports, moreso in basketball since there's no minimum requirements after freshman year, it's a lot tougher to predict since so much changes from one year to the next. Pro sports is much more of a continuation.

25. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

26. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

27. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

#IsItNovemberYet

28. mattrob

mattrob Club Member Club Member

It's interesting looking at the consensus on those lists. Arizona is in the 4-6 range, with the Buffs 10-15. Outside of that, the conference is wide open. ESPN has the strange love for Stanford (and ASU), while I think USAToday seriously overrates Oregon at #15. UCLA is consistently in the 20-30 range, and I think Washington and Cal have a chance to be better than any of those teams. Ideally, CU and Arizona live up to the hype and put the Pac12 solidly back amongst the powerhouse conferences.

29. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

mattrob likes this.
  30. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I've heard some talking heads speculate that up to 4 of Michigan's players could leave early. While I don't think that's probable, at least two will leave early, and there's a good chance that three will according to what I've heard recently.