What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB: Brecca Thomas penciled in as starting PG?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
"She has to come in (and compete for the starting role) and that's why we recruited her," coach Linda Lappe said. "We recruited her because she's a point guard. She can handle the pressure."

http://www.buffzone.com/buffzonetop...omens-basketball-brecca-thomas-could-be-buffs

This team needs a pure PG. Lexy Kresl is a SG. With her, Reese and Roberson, that's plenty of offensive firepower. For the 5th starter, Lappe can go big by starting someone like Swan or Beard-Fails... or she can go more wide open and start someone like Haley or Huggins. But she needs a PG to make it go.

Heaven knows the Buffs need a true point guard - but my guess is that Sborov will be the starter at the beginning of the season. She is steady, plays solid defense and works hard all the time.

A year down the road CU will have more options - albeit very young ones - in Leonard and Robinson look to be very good prospects. So Brecca will have to get some solid playing time this season and put herself in a position to be in the mix for playing time a year down the road.

We really missed not having a true point guard last season. We definitely need a point guard who knows how to run the offense. I'm hoping Brecca will be a quick learner and can push Sborov. Would be great to see the two sharing time.

I took my daughters to two games this year - one each men's and women's. They enjoyed the men's game, but LOVED being at the women's game. It helped that the women were mixing it up and almost losing against an inferior non-conference opponent before blowing their doors off in spectacular fashion, but it was still very entertaining. I look forward to doing it again this year - and possibly more than once if we can figure out how to get from South of Denver to Boulder with youngsters and not interview with ski season.

Contact me for a ticket if you need one. I live in Iowa and don't use my season ticket. All I ask is that you pay the ticket transfer fee. It's like $2.50 or something. I like girls watching female athletes. Makes for the fans of the future.

Contact me for a ticket if you need one. I live in Iowa and don't use my season ticket. All I ask is that you pay the ticket transfer fee. It's like $2.50 or something. I like girls watching female athletes. Makes for the fans of the future.

Always nice to get a few more enthusiastic fans in the house.

Always nice to get a few more enthusiastic fans in the house.

Exactly and it doesn't mean you have to sit in my single seat. You can sit elsewhere and just use that ticket to get in the door. That particular area didn't used to have many season ticket holders, but now if they show up, it's full and that is a good thing.

OK, I read the quote and I don't see this as being any indication of Brecca being the starting PG, at least not this year. This is purely "Coachspeak" that I expect Coach Lappe say about a freshman. And while I agree that we don't really have a true PG, I disagree that Lexy cannot do the job this year. Try to remember that Lexy was the MVP of the OMNI tournament last year based on her play at the point, not on her shooting skills at SG. If you don't agree, go look at the stat sheet. Losing Jasmine as her partner and sometimes backup was much more devastating than some may think. Jas has really become a real leader on this team and after she was injured it really changed the team chemistry.

What is more important this year is that we now have an excellent PG coach who will make a big difference with her teaching skills for this year's guards and for the future guards that will be coming to Boulder in the next few years. Coach Carey, with her experience both playing the PG at a high level Div 1 and WNBA level, will bring a whole different approach to all the guards. This should also be true of the interior play with Coach Jenni, who was a very physical power forward for both Vandy and the WNBA.

I am really expecting a big step up from the seniors this year because this is really the first real group that was both recruited and trained in Coach Lappe's system and they have tasted the good and the bad and have the incentive to take things up another notch.

All that being said, I really like freshman and think they will do great things here. Brecca and Zoe were kind of under the radar but good coaching and hard work will make up for that. And Alina, the young lady from Germany has been having a great Euro U20 Tournament avg. with 8.2 PPG, 3.8RB and 2.0 AS against older, more experienced opponents. GoBuffs!

I'm hoping the addition of Coach Carey to the staff will help our point guard situation. I'm also hoping that Lexy can get better at shooting. She is a streaky shooter--either all in or mostly off.

In other new, Chucky Jeffrey has been cut by the New York Liberty. I was hoping she'd make it through the season.

Next season I would guess that Jasmine will have a real shot at being the starting point guard. This would be allow Lexy to spend more time at shooting guard and would take give the team a lot of experience. My guess is that Brecca will be an important backup.

There's no doubt that loosing Jasmine to injury last season really hurt the time. This season I would think that all three seniors will start and will be integral to the team's success.

But beyond the seniors it's the play of Jamee Swan that could be the real difference maker for the team. She needs to foul less and take charge more often on the offensive end. Because the Buffs lack experience in the post she may well be the team's starter despite the fact it's not the best position for her.

Back