What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB - Buffs v SMU, 11 am

MarkW

Looks like nobody was able to get this thread started this morning, so here it is in delayed fashion.

I've stated before that on paper this was a game would be challenging for the Buffs.

But like the Buffs did a week ago v Kentucky, they came out with a lot of passion and energy. Thus they never trailed in the game and held a double digit lead from much of the time. It seems like their formula for success is to slap a trapping 2-3 zone on the opposition that creates a lot of turnovers. SMU scored all of 16 points in the first half.

Today CU's offense was comprised of a lot of good shooting from Haley Smith. She seems to be inspired for big games.

Smith & Leonard were on the all-tourney team, with Smith being named the MVP.

I was totally focused on football today, but did see the game update tweets as this was happening. Very excited about this Buffs team!

CU really looked the more confident team and when they go into the trapping 2-3 zone it unsettles the opposition to the point that they just can't seem to run thir offenseive sets without rushing passes, etc. This gives CU a psychological advantage on both ends of the court.

The one big issue CU needs to fix is rebounding. They are giving up too many second chances and today that's the only way SMU was able to keep the game from being a 30+ point loss. Had the Buffs rebounded more or less evenly with the Mustangs they would would have won by 30 or more points.

For the second straight game Alexis Robinson got in early foul trouble and it seemed to impact her offensive confidence. At the same time she still makes a major contribution to the team.

Monica Burich has stepped up big time the last two games on offense. Today she had 11 points, 6 rebounds and 2 steals in only 10 minutes of playing time - she was in foul trouble. Yesterday v St. Francis she had 19 pts, 8 rebounds and 2 steals in 17 minutes. She scores in a variety of ways including treys, and getting to the basket.

Kennedy Leonard is an absolutely amazing player. She can make a major impact without scoring often. I am starting to think she'll go down as one of the best Buffs ever. Today she had 13 points, 7 assists, 4 steals and only 1 turnover in 31 minutes.

Agree that Kennedy will go down as one of the best Buffs ever as long as she stays healthy. She is the stabilizer for this team. She keeps the rest of the team steady and seems to always know what is happening on the court.

I have been thinking the same thing about rebounding. It has to pick up.

Had a rough week with being hospitalized and not getting to see Kentucky or North Dakota State games. Just had to follow on twitter. Was able to watch the two games from the Coors.

Happy to see Boston College won the consolation game. I do like Eric Johnson.

I really like the big game that Haley Smith had. She is so versatile and talented. Not sure why in years past she hasn't been more involved. I'd really like to see more offensive balance. Take away Kennedy's shots and the big game that Haley Smith had and there are only eleven made shots by the entire rest of the team. That's not good, and better teams will make defensive adjustments to take away player(s) is they are taking a disproportionate number of shots.

I loved the way the Buffs were playing against Kentucky. The ball movement and spacing were excellent, and the pick and roll game between Leonard and Correal was some of the most beautiful basketball I'd ever seen. I love the range and confidence Leonard has in her three pointer (some of them are five/six steps behind the arc) but while she is an incredible point guard, she hasn't shown, yet, to be an incredible shooter, I think this team has its best offensive flow when she's doing what she's great at, facilitating the offense and keeping everyone involved. Those long three point attempts lead to long rebounds which usually go to the defense, and they just aren't good shots. I'd love to Buffs to pay better attention to shot selection. I think its just strange when in a game Leonard takes as many three pointer attempts as Robinson takes total shots. This Buffs team has great shooters on it in Smith, Robinson and eventually Huggins when she returns. For me its about recognizing who the great shooters are and getting the ball into to their hands for good looks. CU can challenge defenses to defend the perimeter, which will open things up inside for Freeman and Leonard to drive for easy layups. Not many teams can match up with Freeman and Leonard aggressively driving to the basket. Take away Leonard's three point attempts against SMU and the Buffs shot 42% from behind the Arc. If the Buffs can get Leonard and Correal playing off each other in that pick and roll game, I can't imagine too many teams wanting to match up with Leonard and Freeman slashing with Robinson, Smith and Huggins shooting. Meanwhile Burris, Ellis and Correal are going to continue to give great production from the post positions, which we all thought was going to be a position of weakness this year at the forwards. I think Leonard is nearly unstoppable when she's driving to score, slowing and accelerating past her defender, if she has slashing players cutting with her to dish off to. She just makes such great decisions and rarely turns the ball over in traffic. My thought is those long threes aren't great decisions. They haven't come back to hurt the team yet, though. To me it isn't good when aside from Leonard and Smith, there were only eleven other made buckets by the entire rest of the team in the SMU game. This is all nuance though. We're still talking about a 17 point blowout, and Kennedy finishing with an incredible 7:1 Assist to Turnover ratio.

However, against the Pac-12 part of the schedule if Quinessa and Leonard have nights where they take eleven threes (while Robinson takes none) and only manage to make one, like we saw against SMU, the result might not be the same…getting a win. Though I loved how CU handled the SMU height. I as really worried about how tall SMU was, as obviously a lot of Pac-12 schools have a lot more length than what CU is seeing in non-conference. That was great to see. Can't wait to see Cayloa-Do's jumpers start to fall, and they will! She's taking beautiful shots, they just haven't found net yet. She needs needs to just keep shooting. She looks very talented, and Div-I doesn't look too big for her at all.

Eleanor Jones appearing to hurt her shoulder was spooky. She went back in though. I'm just so impressed with her agility, she's got some development to do in terms of her defensive recognition, but the hustle and athleticism are definitely there. I couldn't be more excited about how she'll develop in this program. She looks like she could become a great player in a couple of years.

As far as the Omni goes, I'd like to see JR schedule a bit more quality in three invitees. I guess my thought is I like letting schools like St Francis or Valparaiso have a chance to take the floor with an ACC or Big-10 school, but why not mix in a third quality opponent? There are great mid-major programs in the WCC conference that JR knows well: Gonzaga, BYU, or St Mary's and scheduling WCC schools covers the same recruiting grounds as the Pac-12 typically recruits from. I'd love to see JR start to sprinkle in mid-major powers that the great WBB programs smartly play: Green Bay, Middle Tennessee State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Penn...those kind of schools. To that point, I think one of the mistakes Lappe made was constantly scheduling too easy of a non-conference schedule. Last season was tough but I truly believe that Leonard and Robinson are so talented this team shouldn't be thinking about just getting wins but getting prepared for the tournament run they could make their senior year. Am I getting way too ahead of myself now?

I would not be surprised if half or more of the non-con schedule we are seeing this season was in place before JR was hired. As BoCoBBall says, scheduling too easy a non-con schedule was a Lappe trait. I do expect we will see fewer cupcakes in the future.

Well that good win over SMU did something to reverse the national perception. Buffs are now ranked 21st in the AP top-25 poll. Ahead of Tennessee!

Was moving on to JR Payne the best move of the Rick George administration or what?

Well that good win over SMU did something to reverse the national perception. Buffs are now ranked 21st in the AP top-25 poll. Ahead of Tennessee!

Was moving on to JR Payne the best move of the Rick George administration or what?

There was that whole facilities thing. ;)

Seems like he made a homerun hire here, though.

I do think JR will schedule higher quality teams in the future.

I remember seeing on twitter in July that CU was in need of a couple of games. Trying to schedule that late, you probably are forced to take what you can get. Remember the schedule had to be finalized beyond the first 3 games before it could be released.

Back