What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB: Official Game Thread for #20 CU vs #4 Stanford

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
When: Friday, January 4, 2013, 8 p.m.
Where: The Keg
Broadcast: Pac-12 Network & AM 760

Notes on CU:
Colorado's offense has played well, averaging 74.3 points per game, ranking second in the Pac-12. The Buffaloes have improved that number to 79.5 points over the last four games, hitting the 80-point barrier in three of those four contests. CU is shooting 45 percent from the field, and 48 percent inside the 3-point arc. Colorado has shared the ball well averaging 15.3 assists per game, and it has come from a multitude of players. Seven Buffaloes are already in double-figures for assists through 11 games. Colorado also has held a sizeable advantage in rebounds (+14.4 rpg), and ranked sixth in NCAA Division I through games of Dec. 30.
Defensively, the Buffaloes are holding teams to 54.6 points per game on 34.2 percent from the field. Colorado ranks in the top five of the Pac-12 in 17 of 21 statistical categories, including second in scoring, rebounding defense (30.7 rpg), assists and turnover margin (+3.2).

Notes on Stanford:
Stanford is 11-1 overall and ranked No. 4 (AP) and 3 (USAT) in the latest top 25 polls. The Cardinal had a six-week run as the nation's top ranked team come to an end after dropping a 61-35 decision to Connecticut at home on Dec. 29. Stanford leads the Pac-12 and ranks ninth in the country in field-goal accuracy at 48.1 percent. Stanford averages 72.3 points per game and leads the Pac-12 in scoring defense at 52.5 points per outing.

Look out for:
Junior All-America candidate Chiney Ogwumike leads the Pac-12 in scoring at 21.5 points per game and ranks second in rebounding at 12.8 boards per contest. She has a league-leading 10 double-doubles and also shoots 57.7 percent from the field. Senior forward Joslyn Tinkle is averaging 13 points per game and shooting 52.3 percent from the floor. Junior forward Mikaela Ruef tops the Cardinal in rebounding at 6.7 per game. Sophomore guard Amber Orrange paces Stanford at 4.9 assists per game while scoring 10 points per contest.

2012-13 COLORADO WOMEN’S BASKETBALL ROSTER
No. Player Pos. Ht. Cl. Exp. Hometown (High School) Quickly
1 Lexy Kresl G 5-11 So. 1L Paradise Valley, Ariz. (Shadow Mountain) 5-of-5 3FG vs. UNM, tied career best 20 pts
4 Brenna Malcolm-Peck G/F 6-2 Sr. 1L Boulder, Colo. (Thornton Horizon) Off-season knee surgery, out indefinitely
11 Brittany Wilson G 5-7 Jr. 2L Long Beach, Calif. (Poly) 12 ppg, 48 FG% last fi ve games
12 Ashley Wilson G 5-8 Jr. 2L Long Beach, Calif. (Poly) 14 min vs. UNM after missing last 6 games
14 Meagan Malcolm-Peck G/F 6-2 Sr. 3L Boulder, Colo. (Thornton Horizon) 11th in career 3-pointers with 86
21 Jasmine Sborov G 6-0 So. 1L Round Rock, Texas (Round Rock) Career high 11 points at Illinois
23 Chucky Jeffery G 5-10 Sr. 3L Colorado Springs, Colo. (Sierra) Leads Pac-12 in Asst.-TO Ratio (1.7)
24 Lauren Huggins G/F 6-1 Fr. HS Littleton, Colo. (Heritage) All 12 of her season’s points have come on 3’s
32 Arielle Roberson F 6-1 Fr. RS San Antonio, Texas (Wagner) 11 straight double-figure scoring games
33 Alexus Atchley G 5-9 Fr HS Yorba Linda, Calif. (Yorba Linda) Walk-on, joined the team in October
34 Jen Reese F 6-2 So. 1L Clackamas, Ore. (Clackamas) Career-high 16 points vs. Utah Valley
40 Rachel Hargis C 6-4 Jr. 2L Robinson, Texas (Robinson) Season-best 9 pts, 7 rebs vs. Utah Valley
45 Kyleesha Weston G 5-7 Fr. HS Kansas City, Mo. (Park Hill) 2.5 apg & 23.5 minutes last two games
50 Jamee Swan F 6-2 Fr. HS Tucson, Ariz. (Marana) 5.0 rpg last five contests

Head Coach: Linda Lappe (3rd Year at CU, 50-30/6th Year Overall, 100-66)
Assistant Coach: Jonas Chatterton (3rd Year)
Assistant Coach: Kelly Rae Finley (1st Year)
Assistant Coach: LaTonya Watson (11th Year)
Director of Operations: Jenni Benningfield (1st Year)

Pronunciation Guide:
Rachel Hargis ..........................Har-Giss (hard ‘G’)
Lexy Kresl ................................Kress-uhl
Linda Lappe .............................Lap-E
Arielle Roberson ......................ARE-E-ELL RAH-bur-sun
Jasmine Sborov .......................SPORE-ov

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3910&SPID=258&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205871661&DB_OEM_ID=600

It's been at least 10 seasons since CU has played as well as they are now. Lots of confidence, lots of depth, great team rebounding, a conference POY candidate (Chucky), great coaching staff, etc., etc.

Whether or not they win tonight they are a legit top 20 caliber team and should get an at-large bid to the Big Dance. It will help if Brittany Wilson is healthy, she is a lock down defender and opportunistic scorer. She was injured in the New Mexico game with what looked like a concussion.

If you are in Boulder you should be at the game tonight! (8 pm).

Very sad.I guess we have a little further to go than we thought.

It was amazing, in the first 5 minutes we couldn't even get a shot off let alone get one in the basket.

Our ball handlers can't handle the ball. Our shooters can't shoot. It's like they have never played an organized game in their lives.

The one thing they have done decently is play defense. Wtihout that they would be down by 40. As it is, as bad as they have been playing, only being down by 21 with 17 mins to go they are not completely out of the game.

Last edited:
Stanford's got way too much size.

Buffs shot 28% in the first half (getting 7 shots blocked tells the story there).

Buffs were also destroyed on the glass: 25 rebs for Stanford to 10 for CU.

Stanford's got way too much size.

Buffs shot 28% in the first half (getting 7 shots blocked tells the story there).

Buffs were also destroyed on the glass: 25 rebs for Stanford to 10 for CU.

Yeah, they are significantly bigger at a couple positions and the ones where we are close in size, their players seem to play like they are a foot taller.

One thing I notice, when CU gets under the basket they almost always do the fake first before they try to shoot and Stanford NEVER falls for it. Then we get suffed.

I'm gonna make a prediction right now. CU beats Cal on Sunday.

This game is actually giving me a little hope. If CU brings their offense they are in this game with one of the best teams in the country. I think they bring their offense on Sunday and they win

Luckily the last thing voters could see before new polls is a win over Cal. Cover up the loss to furd a little bit

CU actually winning second half 26-24 and Stanford never cleared the bench or anything.

57-40 and I don't feel that bad about it. I kind of look at this as their "Kansas" game.

These ladies will be tougher for it , they will learn from it and they will come out better for it. The men had a couple warm ups after the Kansas game and before they had to play a tough team again. The women don't have that luxury right now so hopefully they are quick learners.

I certainly saw heart and effort tonight. That can not be questioned.

In WBB, there is a massive gap btw the top 3-5 and everyone else. It has been this way for at least 20+ years. I expected this outcome and am impressed the margin did not grow in the second half.

CU's WBB team is much improved and I am hopeful for a solid run of PAC 12 conf play.

B-Wil didn't practice every day last week due to her concussion. I'm guessing that affected her play. To me, Sborov doesn't appear to be at full speed since her heart illness. A Wil, on the other hand, is back without missing a beat and playing without pain.

I only got to half watch the game due to some other issues that had to be dealt with over telephone at the time (ie elderly parents), but Stanford is wider as well as taller than we are. I think the 7 blocks intimidated our players. The player guarding Kresl was probably a foot taller than Kresl so she went 0 for.

I'm really hoping the team has gotten themselves together and they will beat Cal today. I think they will. :gobuffs:

Back