What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB v St. Francis (NY) 11 am

Very excited about this game today. I think the new key for this team is finding balance with keeping everyone on offense involved. We've seen great ball movement against UK, and we've also seen an incredible screen game from Zoe Correal that has made the pick and roll off Kennedy Leonard's dribble just a dominant and exciting part of CU's game. I think my magic number for this team, considering our lack of depth in the front court is a combination of Correal's points, rebounds, and assists from Kennedy to Correal. Combining those specific assists and points/rebounds to get near 25 should make the Buffs nearly impossible to beat in non-conference play. The give and go style of play should keep Correal involved in the offense without getting into foul trouble trying to be too aggressive.

Hope the Buffs shake off some of the offensive woes that showed up against the Bison. I'm very confident that JR Payne can keep every player in their role on this team, and get this team focused on positive team outcomes. I'm still not entirely sure what exactly happened last year, but this might be a situation where change is good. Everything I've seen thus far reinforces that JR Payne is a very talented basketball coach with an incredible potential to take this program to levels we have never seen before. I believe that.

Still not sure what is going on with Huggins and why she's not playing. Does anyone know? Curious if Eleanor Jones takes a medical redshirt this season, but we all know the Buffs desperately need depth and her value this season might not be finishing with an arm bar in her back, but rather just the length on rebounds and defense. Intrigued by Quinessa Caylao-Do and Eleanor Jones, and to a lesser extent Freeman. I think there should be long minutes in this game to help the transfer and new players discover they can play at this level, and this seems like a great game to just let things slow down and find some confidence. Especially if Alexis, Haley and Kennedy rain down some threes early and get a comfortable lead. I think St Francis might not be able to shoot CU out of the 2-3 zone. Taking the kinds of shots that CU will leave on the perimeter should lend to a lot of rebounding opportunities for CU.

Go Buffs! Its early in the day and the season, but great things lie ahead for this team this year. Who thought that was going to be possible considering how tough things became last season? We're in good hands with JR Payne and Leonard/Robinson!

Seeing the WBB fans so excited has gotten me excited.

Not too long ago, you were all in "rebuilding year" mode hoping for NIT, focused on recruiting, and hoping to get a feel for Payne's system + player development.

How fun would it be to ride the guard play and momentum into one of those crazy, unexpected seasons?

What an interesting game so far!

I came in thinking Leonard and Correal were going to drop a Pac-12 pick and roll game on St. Francis and we haven't seen that yet. In the first half I didn't see Zoe set a screen for Leonard, and then roll of it once. In fact the Pac-12 leader in Assists doesn't have a single assist at the half. Its just been a "depth" kind of game. Alexis Robinson has really stepped up with the ball handling and distribution. She has 5 assists and could easily have several more. The no look pass that Robinson made in traffic to Correal underneath the basket was one of the best passes I've seen this year. Zoe couldn't handle it even though it hit her on the hands. She just didn't anticipate it or see it coming. It was just an incredible pass that would have been a highlight reel dish. I don't think we give Robinson enough credit for how talented she is running the point.

It's just an interesting game. In a game where Alexis Robinson is struggling shooting the ball (she's 1-7 at the half) she's doing a masterful job getting everyone involved and running the offense. In a game where Kennedy isn't quite finding the rhythm of her teammates (no assists and should have been credited for multiple turnovers) she's doing a phenomenal job finding ways to make contributions on defense already having 2 blocks and 2 steals. Smith and Ellis don't really feel involved so far, but Freeman is playing just so aggressively. Every time she touches the ball she wants to attack into a mid-range jumper in the lane, or put up a high percentage shot off the glass or a layup. She's at a signifiant height disadvantage attacking the post defenders, but it hasn't hurt her yet. She even ended up way too deep underneath and instead of kicking out to Thomas, she just made a nifty move. Right now its like Freeman is playing like the defense forgot about her. Everything is falling for her right now. Otherwise CU would be in a real struggle offensively.

Eleanor Jones has played a bit, and so has Q. Caylao-Do has made a couple of nice defensive plays and hasn't made any bad reads, and taken a couple of threes but nothing has fallen yet.

[update end of 3Q]
JR has gone to the end of the bench. Q and Thomas are doing a great job of breaking up the St. Francis press with no turnovers yet. Bri Watts is playing long minutes and looks completely gassed, she doesn't seem to want to move around or set screens on offense and just seems to be gasping for breath. I've never seen her play this long in a game without a sub before. Q had a nice drive. Burich has been on fire shooting but picked up a couple of fouls. Its a blowout at this point.

[update end of game]
JR actually set Bri Watts down for a minute, and it made a huge difference. She came back out more aggressive and even had a great block on defense after that. Eleanor Jones was pulled late for Zoe Beard-Fails. Jones looks long and agile, but she seems to lower her arms on defense a lot. That can be coached and fixed, but in the meantime she might pick up some extra fouls. Q took some good shots but they just wouldn't fall for her. Bri struggled a bit, at one point losing the ball on a drop step on her own, but she kept battling and had some nice passes.

Freeman and Burich really were the players of the game. Robinson did a great job of distributing when her shot wasn't falling. Leonard was a defensive force even though the game didn't have a great flow early (like the NDSU). Freeman showed some range even hitting a three. I don't think I've ever seen such a natural finisher around the rim (think Arielle Robinson) that was that short. She plays and finishes four inches taller than she is. Jones looks like a great developmental piece. There is just so much to work with her, she hasn't played high level basketball but she just seems so agile and hustles. I can't wait to see the player she becomes with this coaching staff developing and working with her.

Give St. Francis credit for keeping it as close as they did into the 2Q. At one point they had it within 7 and could have brought it to 5. CU's defense really carried them through a tough 2Q. The second unit did a great job moving the ball, and everybody continued to hustle on defense. Even when it was a blowout Buffs were diving on loose balls and tying things up to send it to the possession arrow.

Freeman looks like a really good player to be productively offensively off the bench if that's how JR wants to use her. Just a very aggressive player in attacking the basket. This wasn't a Pac-12 game, but was perfect to get a lot of minutes for a lot of players early in the non-conference schedule. I can't imagine that Freeman will be able to attack the rim like that in the Pac-12 schedule. I think the length of defenders in the Pac-12 will take that away from her, but it will be exciting to watch a player that aggressive. She certainly showed she can pull up and shoot it in the paint as well.

Last edited:
Back