What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We are in trouble now

I'd appreciate it if you'd put a (TM) trademark after that.

Truthfully, I'd be very satisfied with an announcment of termination. I simply acknowledge that there may be other forces in play that will ultimately be very satsifying to the fanbase, but nonetheless require some patience.

:lol: Well, I can appreciate your view but you'll have to show some patience with me because I'm thinking I may not be able to let it go :huh:

Well there are some interesting points here. But I think my biggest issue is that by not firing Hawk we are showing a commitment to losing. You may not see this but I am telling you from my perspective living on the east coast this is the truth. People out here literally think CU football is a joke. They laugh EVERY WEEK at us not getting rid of Hawk. So while you and I may know that Hawk is a gone soon, the rest of the country does not. And every time we are on sportscenter for a record come from behind loss, having another giant letdown on national TV etc hurts our image.... and you are joking yourself if you think recruits and potential coaches don't see that. No coach will risk his career to come to someplace if they are getting one embarrassing story after another coming from this place. The longer Hawk is here and the more embarassing losses he piles up, the less likely we are to get a quality coach and the less likely we are to be able to maintain any recruiting this year.

The day the people you are talking to in NC are the people CU wants to hire as HC, your point will make sense. Until then, and this may be a surprise, most coaches usually don't view being too patient when it comes to firing coaches as a bad thing.

Anybody CU should be looking at as a coach knows who CU is, knows what CU's program has been and can be and will be doing more to research it than watching College Football Scoreboard on ESPN. They'll be talking hard to Bohn, but their real questions will be regarding the commitment of guys like Benson and DiStephano. They're not going to want to know why coaches aren't fired sooner, they're going to want to know if the support is there for them to succeed.

You may have a point with recruits. But recruits commit to coaches. letting them talk to an interim who won't be around in December for the next 3 weeks really isn't going to do much with them, either...

I'd really like to see Bohn and Benson try to start selling the CU job to some top guys out there. Talk up the university and be agresssive, and show some kind of sign that YOU AS A SCHOOL are also interested in building a program. Put some more money into the facilities and that could go a long way. I think there would be a lot of people willing to come but their main concern right now is they feel like there is a lack of committment on the part of the university.

Sure I can. If you announce that Hawk is fired now--effective immediately or at the end of the season--how does that assist recruiting? It's not until we name our next HC that recruiting becomes relevent. Some kid laughing at CU now, won't be laughing if we name a homerun coach. If our next coach isn't a good recruiter than we're screwed anyway. In fact we're just screwed this year for recruiting, so it doesn't matter one way or the other.

So I can tell you that it doesn't have a huge effect. There you go.

OK, you can tell me that but it still doesn't make it correct.

I don't think firing him now or in 3 weeks really makes any difference except it appeases the fans. Coaches on the other side of the country won't care until we give them a call.

Recruiting is a mess atm, I don't think it's being helped or hurt right now by not firing Hawk. All 5 of them that is.

Trust me, I want Hawk fired yesterday, but the idea that coaches around the country are now suddenly shying away from CU because we won't fire our coach is pretty weak. If anything, like nik said, they'll be impressed that CU gives it's coach 5 entire years of sucking balls. You don't get that at many places with the history we have.

I don't think firing him now or in 3 weeks really makes any difference except it appeases the fans. Coaches on the other side of the country won't care until we give them a call.

Recruiting is a mess atm, I don't think it's being helped or hurt right now by not firing Hawk. All 5 of them that is.

Trust me, I want Hawk fired yesterday, but the idea that coaches around the country are now suddenly shying away from CU because we won't fire our coach is pretty weak. If anything, like nik said, they'll be impressed that CU gives it's coach 5 entire years of sucking balls. You don't get that at many places with the history we have.

So appease the fans! We do count for something in all this.

So appease the fans! We do count for something in all this.

No I totally agree, just saying that's all it will do. The idea that it's killing our perception among coaches is just not true imo. Recruiting.. yeah that's not going anywhere either way.

The coaching fraternity is pretty tight. They do not necessarily view things in the same manner as fans do. While what you say may have some merit, there are still only a certain number of BCS jobs that will be available after this season. There are only so many chances you get at BCS coaching jobs.
100% true

A head coaching slot at a PAC 10 or big 12 school is a BIG deal. hUGE!!!!

Consider the coaching profession, thousands of coaches and aspiring coaches. Consider that there are only roughly 22 head coaching jobs for BCS schools for the entire western half of our country. The list of people who are in a position to turn down a multi million dollar gig at CU is very short.

The coaching fraternity is pretty tight. They do not necessarily view things in the same manner as fans do. While what you say may have some merit, there are still only a certain number of BCS jobs that will be available after this season. There are only so many chances you get at BCS coaching jobs.

This. Let's calm down a bit. Losing to Kansas as bad as it was isn't going to change a potential coaches mind from taking this job. CU isn't a great job but its still a BCS job and its entering the Pac 12. it has some potential and I'd say its a more attractive job than it was 5 years ago.

And Les Miles coming to CU had a .001% of happening.

This. Let's calm down a bit. Losing to Kansas as bad as it was isn't going to change a potential coaches mind from taking this job. CU isn't a great job but its still a BCS job and its entering the Pac 12. it has some potential and I'd say its more attractive job than it was 5 years ago.

Judas Priest on a pogo stick. Did Jimmy just tell someone to calm down?

This. Let's calm down a bit. Losing to Kansas as bad as it was isn't going to change a potential coaches mind from taking this job. CU isn't a great job but its still a BCS job and its entering the Pac 12. it has some potential and I'd say its a more attractive job than it was 5 years ago.

[video=youtube;KX5jNnDMfxA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA[/video]

The day the people you are talking to in NC are the people CU wants to hire as HC, your point will make sense. Until then, and this may be a surprise, most coaches usually don't view being too patient when it comes to firing coaches as a bad thing.

Anybody CU should be looking at as a coach knows who CU is, knows what CU's program has been and can be and will be doing more to research it than watching College Football Scoreboard on ESPN. They'll be talking hard to Bohn, but their real questions will be regarding the commitment of guys like Benson and DiStephano. They're not going to want to know why coaches aren't fired sooner, they're going to want to know if the support is there for them to succeed.

You may have a point with recruits. But recruits commit to coaches. letting them talk to an interim who won't be around in December for the next 3 weeks really isn't going to do much with them, either...

The problem with what you're saying is that what CU is, is a laughingstock. And the shame Hawkins has brought to the program only continues to grow with every day he remains employed.

No recruit wants to go to a school that is a laughingstock, or to a school with a lame duck head coach, so it doesn't matter.

What firing Hawkins would do is stop the bleeding and show the fan base that the administration actually gives a **** and that the shame and humiliation that Hawkins has brought and continues to bring to CU is unacceptable.

The problem with what you're saying is that what CU is, is a laughingstock. And the shame Hawkins has brought to the program only continues to grow with every day he remains employed.

No recruit wants to go to a school that is a laughingstock, or to a school with a lame duck head coach, so it doesn't matter.

What firing Hawkins would do is stop the bleeding and show the fan base that the administration actually gives a **** and that the shame and humiliation that Hawkins has brought and continues to bring to CU is unacceptable.

If the fan base likes the next coaching hire, they're going to be on board no matter when Hawk is fired. If they don't like the choice, it won't matter when Hawk is fired. And, frankly, anybody who decides to stop being a fan over whether or not Hawk coaches the last 3 games of a lost season probably shouldn't really call themselves a fan. Yeah, I can be pissed if I ever see Hawk's face or hear his voice again. But am I going to quit supporting the Buffs because he's around for 3 more games??? No way in hell...

Back