What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We Can Have Nice Things (was Athletics Roundtable Thread)

Isn't it great that they are FINALLY getting it?

is there anything specific about Balch fieldhouse being remodeled? Do we even need that as a track anymore???

And what about the Keg? What improvements can we make there as impressive as the football stadium? How about a new arena???! (Wishful thinking)

Addressed that Balch and the inside of the Keg were priorities for upgrades.

I think the DiStefano comments were important. They were looking to the past and didn't have a plan for the future within the new landscape of college sports.

Eyes seem to be opening.

But will we be able to book a Lady Gaga concert like the sheep will with their new corral?

Nah. Folsom has always been Rolling Stones territory.

89ce907f96b294345c72dfb8285b9145.jpg

is there anything specific about Balch fieldhouse being remodeled? Do we even need that as a track anymore???

And what about the Keg? What improvements can we make there as impressive as the football stadium? How about a new arena???! (Wishful thinking)

We aren't getting a new arena for hoops. RG said "inside the Coors Events Center". I think there is an opportunity to move all concessions and bathrooms to the outside of the building to improve amenities, increase capacity and add some seating options. They can probably add more chair back seats. I'd expect a basketball team store as a fixed thing. I'm hoping there is something they can do to the roof that will allow a center court scoreboard.

How ****ing cool would it be to have capacity around 14k with club seating and the big board hanging over the court? If we can get it to 13k, CU would have the 4th largest arena in the Pac-12.

Regarding Balch, I think they're trying to figure out how to use it for something other than competition but keep it as an athletic department facility.

Mods, can we move this to the politics forum?
We have a real world example of Obama-nomics.

Nah we found someone who probably has never donated a cent to CU. It's cool. He's like the majority of alums.

Not so much great . It is more of a relief that the lightbulb finally turned on with the big cigars at CU a decade or more after administrators from peer institutions. It should not have taken this long for CU leadership to figure out what their peers had known all along. Athletics are the front porch of the school. Duh.

I'm still upset that the CUAD was allowed to fall from such lofty heights into the pit of futility that all of us have been suffering through for over a decade.

DiStefano implied Rick George is a major upgrade over Bohn when it comes to running the CUAD as a business.

I can only imagine what a similar upgrade might look like on campus if Phil DiStefano, with nearly 40 years service at CU, were replaced and upgraded with a newer administrator who is more in tune with the times.

The fact DiStefano is finally acknowledging George's important skill set indicates how clueless he has been on this subject in years prior. The realities of modern P12 campus administration has passed Phil DiStefano by.

I hate to say it, but CSU's Tony Franks would be an upgrade over PDiS. (Yes I recognize the title of Dr Franks is more in alignment with Benson. But seeing that Benson has cut a $5M personal check to the CUAD and has lit a fire under PDiS, Benson is still proving useful for his business and fundraising chops.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The endowment thing will be critical, and ongoing. I heard somewhere that USC's entire football program is fully endowed. Everything from coaches salaries to recruiting to scholarships to transportation is paid for from a fund that is separate from the operating fund for their athletic department. That's heady stuff, and they aren't sitting back and coasting. We have a lot of catching up to do.

The endowment thing will be critical, and ongoing. I heard somewhere that USC's entire football program is fully endowed. Everything from coaches salaries to recruiting to scholarships to transportation is paid for from a fund that is separate from the operating fund for their athletic department. That's heady stuff, and they aren't sitting back and coasting. We have a lot of catching up to do.

Yep.

Stanford is another example. They can afford to offer so many sports and invest enough to be as good as they are in all of them (despite a location that is more expensive than Boulder for salaries & facilities) because of its endowments for athletics. Other programs go so far as to name job titles on coaching staffs after the person or organization that has endowed the position. Stanford wins Directors Cups. CU could, too. (We were Top 10 after the fall season despite football.) Endowments are the key.

We aren't getting a new arena for hoops. RG said "inside the Coors Events Center". I think there is an opportunity to move all concessions and bathrooms to the outside of the building to improve amenities, increase capacity and add some seating options. They can probably add more chair back seats. I'd expect a basketball team store as a fixed thing. I'm hoping there is something they can do to the roof that will allow a center court scoreboard.

How ****ing cool would it be to have capacity around 14k with club seating and the big board hanging over the court? If we can get it to 13k, CU would have the 4th largest arena in the Pac-12.

Regarding Balch, I think they're trying to figure out how to use it for something other than competition but keep it as an athletic department facility.

I am assuming Balch will be remodeled and around half of it will be academic space but the bill will mostly be floated by the campus and not the athletic department.

Building CU's endowment is not something the chancellor can simply delegate to RG.
This has to be a priority that also demands the attention from the regents and CU system leadership.

If Benson or DiStefano or the Regents think otherwise, the Buffs will continue to lag behind.

Building CU's endowment is not something the chancellor can simply delegate to RG.
This has to be a priority that also demands the attention from the regents and CU system leadership.

If Benson or DiStefano or the Regents think otherwise, the Buffs will continue to lag behind.

the nice thing is that they seem to finally understand the need to do this stuff. However, a $15MM endowment is nothing. They need to multiply that by two, then add a zero to the end.

**** you Phil DiStefano. You treat athletics like a nuisance to be contained and repeatedly neuter your old AD, and then you throw him under the bus for not running things like a business? Seriously. ****. You. What a POS.

**** you Phil DiStefano. You treat athletics like a nuisance to be contained and repeatedly neuter your old AD, and then you throw him under the bus for not running things like a business? Seriously. ****. You. What a POS.

I'm glad you said it. If I said that, I'd be accused of being a Bohn apologist. I thought the exact same thing, though.

I'm hoping there is something they can do to the roof that will allow a center court scoreboard.

How ****ing cool would it be to have the big board hanging over the court?

Very cool.
fb4d5754ba6fb268c8f084dfa1d3d603.jpg

I've said this before but you put it much better.

It would almost be excusable if he was actually good at something else but I am still waiting for someone to tell me how CU is better off in any substantial way for him being chancellor. There have been a few new programs and advancements but those aren't his doing. The guy is an empty suit sucking the air out of an office that should be a leadership position but under his control is an obstacle.

It would almost be excusable if he was actually good at something else but I am still waiting for someone to tell me how CU is better off in any substantial way for him being chancellor. There have been a few new programs and advancements but those aren't his doing. The guy is an empty suit sucking the air out of an office that should be a leadership position but under his control is an obstacle.

Ward Churchill no longer a professor on campus. Nabbed a few Nobel Prizes. Student Athletes have never had a higher GPA. And…um…well…the school of journalism closed. Wait, what is the question again?

I guess I don't understand. If Phil is implying that RG is doing things the right way, wasn't it his job to oversee the previous AD? If that was his job, seems like he should get an F. He seems to be admitting that he was asleep at the wheel while the athletic department was failing? Why is he still the chancellor??

I guess I don't understand. If Phil is implying that RG is doing things the right way, wasn't it his job to oversee the previous AD? If that was his job, seems like he should get an F. He seems to be admitting that he was asleep at the wheel while the athletic department was failing? Why is he still the chancellor??

Oh ****! If PDiS is praising RG, then things in Boulder are worse than I imagined.

Finding comfort and wisdom in the chancellor's comments is right on par with following 'Tini's lead on rep bets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ward Churchill no longer a professor on campus. Nabbed a few Nobel Prizes. Student Athletes have never had a higher GPA. And…um…well…the school of journalism closed. Wait, what is the question again?

Gas prices are lower, OBL is dead.....

Maybe be you didn't read my post. It has nothing to do with PDis praising RG. I doubt anyone here could find a negative thing to say about RG. He's a great leader for our Buffs.

Phil seemed to acknowledge that they are just now realizing that the AD needs to be run like a business. If he is blaming Bohn, wasn't he Bohn's boss?? So if PDis didn't know how best to oversee the AD or what it needed, why is he still in charge now?

Oh ****! If PDiS is praising RG, then things in Boulder are worse than I imagined.

Finding comfort and wisdom in the chancellor's comments is right on par with following 'Tini's lead on rep bets.

Maybe be you didn't read my post. It has nothing to do with PDis praising RG. I doubt anyone here could find a negative thing to say about RG. He's a great leader for our Buffs.

Phil seemed to acknowledge that they are just now realizing that the AD needs to be run like a business. If he is blaming Bohn, wasn't he Bohn's boss?? So if PDis didn't know how best to oversee the AD or what it needed, why is he still in charge now?

why-gif-03.gif

I get what you are saying, and agree. Without realizing he is verifying his incompetence.

Not that we needed any verification of that.

Back