What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We Can Have Nice Things (was Athletics Roundtable Thread)

From afar, seems like RG is functioning just fine. Who cares about Phil? You guys are close to it, some of you anyway, I realize the guy's position in the university but I could care less what he thinks. Not hard to see he isn't very well thought of on this board for sure. Only things I know about Phil are what I've read on here.

From afar, seems like RG is functioning just fine. Who cares about Phil? You guys are close to it, some of you anyway, I realize the guy's position in the university but I could care less what he thinks. Not hard to see he isn't very well thought of on this board for sure. Only things I know about Phil are what I've read on here.

As I stated earlier, the criticism of Phil needed to be said.

However, I agree with you that the focus needs to be on the now and the future. We can and should critique what happened in the past because it is vital that it is learned from and never repeated... mistakes by CU administration, CU athletic directors, CU coaches and others involved in the program.

Phil is talking like he has "found religion" on running the AD like a business, especially understanding that football is what makes the entire AD financially successful and allows for all the things that CU wants to achieve with it as a driver of applications, donor culture, university image, school spirit, success of non-revenue programs, budget for Title IX compliance, etc.

I'm willing to focus on this new reality and support Phil in the current paradigm while continuing to put pressure on him and others to not falter by losing religion. We cannot go back to what CU was.

However, I agree with you that the focus needs to be on the now and the future. We can and should critique what happened in the past because it is vital that it is learned from and never repeated... mistakes by CU administration, CU athletic directors, CU coaches and others involved in the program.

Phil is talking like he has "found religion" on running the AD like a business, especially understanding that football is what makes the entire AD financially successful and allows for all the things that CU wants to achieve with it as a driver of applications, donor culture, university image, school spirit, success of non-revenue programs, budget for Title IX compliance, etc.

I'm willing to focus on this new reality and support Phil in the current paradigm while continuing to put pressure on him and others to not falter by losing religion. We cannot go back to what CU was.
I hear what you're saying. Your last couple of sentences are what worry me, can he and they be trusted? Maybe putting pressure on them will keep things moving.

Phil has been suckling at the tit of academia for the past 40 years; how the **** would he know if something is running like a business or not. He's a has been academic who transitioned into politics.

For whatever reason, I think DiStefano and Bensen were kind of caught with their pants down coming out of "The Scandal" and entering the Pac 12. I just think they way underestimated the commitment needed from the administrative side. OK, shame on them for that. But it seems to me, looking at it from a fairly uninformed fan's perspective, that they have gotten "religion" and are now doing what they need to do to support athletics. And just maybe Bohn did a poor job of including the administration in the process. I don't know.

They should remember the past (last 10 years) as a means of what to never do again. Other than that, they need to move forward from here on out. Good to see.

He was in insider who ultimately waited around until he got the job. Ive never really liked that style of promotion because it leads to an organization becoming stale from being inbred. No new ideas, already know what to say since its been repeated for decades...

I think its smarter to at least look outside the organization before promoting from within.

Maybe be you didn't read my post. It has nothing to do with PDis praising RG. I doubt anyone here could find a negative thing to say about RG. He's a great leader for our Buffs.

Phil seemed to acknowledge that they are just now realizing that the AD needs to be run like a business. If he is blaming Bohn, wasn't he Bohn's boss?? So if PDis didn't know how best to oversee the AD or what it needed, why is he still in charge now?

I really feel as though you missed the tone and intent of Skiddy's post. And not just a little.

He was in insider who ultimately waited around until he got the job. Ive never really liked that style of promotion because it leads to an organization becoming stale from being inbred. No new ideas, already know what to say since its been repeated for decades...

I think its smarter to at least look outside the organization before promoting from within.
Isn't that how The Junta evolved? Just sayin' ....

I agree. I can see promoting from within when you're on a roll. CU promoted from within when the **** was hitting the fan and chose Phil because none of the factions hated him in the midst of all the strife.

Although he seems to have awakened long enough to say some nice things Dr. Phil still has the ability to be a major hinderance to future development of the AD and also could and should be more of an assistant and advocate than he is.

Things are rosy right now but what happens next time that some of his ivory tower buddies start pushing him to "put the balance" back on them. If a confict comes up between funding a new project in an academic area or athletics who gets priority (even if the academic area doesn't make sense.)

Beyond that is he or will he be an active advocate for athletics when it comes to donors and people of influence. It isn't unreasonable that someone who is considering dropping more than a million dollars into an athletic project wouldn't want to hear from the Chancelor that that project is a priority and will be grown beyond that donation. The athletic director can sell all he wants to but sometimes it takes more than one voice to close the deal. Can Dr. Phil be that voice?

The Little Man needs to go. He is not only short but short sighted and has done nothing but damage athletics over the last decade. Mismanagement should not be rewarded and due to his lack of vision and "business competency" has been truly staggering when it comes to the AD. He is and always will be part of the problem. Is and always will be a politician that is a Dbag!

The Little Man needs to go. He is not only short but short sighted and has done nothing but damage athletics over the last decade. Mismanagement should not be rewarded and due to his lack of vision and "business competency" has been truly staggering when it comes to the AD. He is and always will be part of the problem. Is and always will be a politician that is a Dbag!
I understand the sentiment, and it is hard not to agree with you. However, I believe PS is a political animal through to his core. His previous attitude and his current swing the other direction, is a direct result of his boss' opinion of athletics and football.

As long as Benson has seen the light, I am just fine with PS executing his vision. He seems to do that well enough to have survived a very long time.

Ok which one is the midget? Phil or the other?

Sorry, I don't buy Dr. Phil's line of BS. The guy cannot be trusted any farther than you can throw him. As soon as the political wind changes, he'll change directions. He is not a leader, he is a pol. If MB was so bad, why does his boss get a pass while the whole perception of the D went into the toilet through years of ass kickings? Dr. Phil is in academia and has just been the most buoyant **** in the bowl. I seriously doubt he could make it anywhere else. Other places require results before you get paid.

Usually the one that produced the most gas?

I want to help you folks let go of your anger. Often times those going through a difficult period need a focal point for their anger. That focal point, as us in the mental health world like to say, is very often a person. Could it be that Dr. DiSephano has become an animate symbol of your anger toward the state of our beloved football program?

Back