What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We need more talent (Points scored by quarter)

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member

Once teams wear us down and our execution suffers, we can't keep up. We have to out execute the other team on every play - and you can't do that when you are tired.

Which brings me to my point: this won't change until the talent changes. We go into games with good gameplans, and come out of halves in the 3d quarter and do alright. But then it all falls apart.

However, does anyone want to take the time to update this to take out the Nicholls state game? That's throwing everything off.

We need more talent? You usually get on people for threads like this.
Proof, please. And yea, we do. Also, something is wrong with how the team comes out to start a game. CSU, ASU, Oregon, AZ... all jumped out to leads. What the hell is going on man.

We can use more talent, but I think we have enough to win games. It boils down to play calling and execution, and this team is lacking in both.
I disagree. the team is executing at an above average level considering its talent. You can't "boil" it down to exclude talent. That's the basis of the game! I'd say we are a decently coached under talented team.

Get more talent, eh? Might just be crazy enough to work.

In all seriousness, we're a team of counter-punchers right now. They will fight, but seem to wait for the other team to strike before they hit back and with the talent deficit Darth legitimately points out, we just cannot carry that mentality.

Interesting. We definitely had enough talent to win the Hawaii game. I am sure we had enough talent to win the Arizona game as well. At that point, we are sitting at 5 wins, still in bowl contention and probably not having this conversation.

Playcalling appears to be fine outside of not calling running plays more often. The offense and defense are not in sync. When the O performs the D is gassed and when the O goes 3 and out (ever so much), then they get a stop.

By the end of the game the lack of depth is a problem as the D can't field a stop. And the offense can't run a 2 minute drill with a 3 year starter.

Clock management is on the coaches. They never coached Sefo up and the offense to do that and not call stupid timeouts in the early third.

I disagree. the team is executing at an above average level considering its talent. You can't "boil" it down to exclude talent. That's the basis of the game! I'd say we are a decently coached under talented team.
I am not overly impressed with execution on any phase of the game for CU. Part of execution is consistency - executing well 50% of the time does not cut it. I do agree that talent is an issue - and the coaching up of that talent has been minimal.

I do not buy the wearing down excuse. Our defense is on the field the same amount of time as the other team in most games or less plus other then ASU we have not played any overly physical teams. We just make too many errors over the course of the game. Both the Oregon and Arizona games the other team make adjustments in the second half we did not. Oregon adjusted their defense, Arizona adjusted their offense. I think some people (not you darth) people are trying to use stats to back into an excuse. But as you point out we have less talent and the talent we do have is no better coached than the other team.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sefo.

/Zandi.
You joke but I believe that is dead on. Sefo does not execute well in the 4th quarter, leading to 3 and outs and more opportunities for the opponent. He is a pretty good QB for the first 3 quarters but lacks the ability to put teams away. You could probably chalk that up to the fact that he hasn't had many opportunities the last three years to close games out, therefore hasn't learned how.

If we are close in the fourth I never have the feeling that Sefo is going to lead us to victory.

I disagree entirely with the premise that we have 'enough' talent. No we don't. Or at least not enough experienced talent. As was pointed out on another thread, we still, after years of trying to improve on this very thing, are having inordinate numbers of freshmen playing and starting.

I think it is possible to get deluded by the fact that maybe our starting 22 matches up with some of our conference opponents' starting 22, but the fact remains that after that starting 22, the talent and/or experience drops way off.

Maybe if we hadn't had a single injury this season, we wouldn't be talking about this, but of course injuries are a normal part of the game, and that has exposed our talent issues more than anything.

Proof, please. And yea, we do. Also, something is wrong with how the team comes out to start a game. CSU, ASU, Oregon, AZ... all jumped out to leads. What the hell is going on man.

Of course we need more talent. Wac talent vs pac 12 talent isn't working. Why this team starts off so slow and ends so weak is a good question.

The offense goes into spells of 4 to 5 series of 3 and outs and then the defense is gassed. We don't have the front 7 to sustain a run defense for an entire game. Depth is very bad.

CU has scored 23, 24 and 31 points in 3 pac 12 games. That isn't going to get it done.The offense must win these games until leavitt can get the defensive players he needs here.

Without the Nicholls game:

1Q
CU- 35
OPP- 56
2Q
CU - 64
OPP - 34
3Q
CU - 41
OPP - 38
4Q
CU - 33
OPP - 51
Thank you for this!!!

This was the point I was trying to make in another thread that Sefo was strong in the 2nd & 3rd quarters and weak in the 1st and 4th. We get behind, play catch up and then Sefo fizzles in the 4th and we lose (mostly because the D is gassed from all the 3 and outs). I love the guy's leadership, but he's just not a clutch player IMO.

I love the guy's leadership, but he's just not a clutch player IMO.
He's come from behind to win how many times? He's made clutch INTs to lose games how many times? I think your statement is more than just opinion.

Back