What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now go to Stillwater, OK

So they are saying that attractive young women sometimes "know" strapping young football stars in Oklahoma and that some of those football stars also sometimes cheat on exams? Oh the horror! And the poor guys who do not end up playing inevitably go back to their lives of abject poverty, drug addiction and crime? Sounds like another fluff piece to me that uses hyperbole to blow-up common infractions that happen everywhere. So sick of the sanctimonious bull**** that comes out of the sports media these days.
Sound like a "we're going to do what we can to keep the balance of power in CFB where we want it." piece to me.

There are rules and some teams follow them. Those that do not have a competitive advantage. It's one thing to have a booster giving an athlete a few hundred bucks so that he can live like a college student, and another altogether when we have $25,000 payments, cars, prostitution (which is what it actually is)....

I talked to a friend that played for Miles and Gundy at OSU and very disgusted with the article. He was the first to admit that some players got extra benefits, including cash, but nothing like the article suggested. Also, most of players that the article used as sources were kicked off the team when Gundy took over (or are deceased and can't comment). Miles was a used car salesman and ran a very questionable program, but Gundy is a stand-up guy. I met him a few times and interacted with his family around school functions. He's no savior, but he is a straight shooter.

So he was aware that "some players" got cash and extra benefits, but nothing like the article suggested? How can he be sure what other players were getting? Sorry XXfan, that's not a strong denial.

If one player was taking cash, as late as 2011, then I want to see them pay.

Don't think there's much to see here. It's not like they were improperly feeding walk-ons or anything. Or were they???

gasp face.jpg

Let's see where this thing goes.

I am not willing to accept the idea that that is just college sports, deal with it.

No question that the NCAA is overbearing on some things and incompetent on others and a lot of their rules make little to no sense. At the same time we can't just have a free for all with those who pay the most wins attitude.

There has to be some idea of a level playing field. When you see a school that has been terrible for decades suddenly become good you usually can assume that something is happening outside the rules.

I also don't buy the Miles was bad and Gundy is clean argument. Gundy worked for him and has continued his success and even expanded on it.

Look, if u can play, u get money and pussy. If ya can't, u might get away with certain things but its not that much different from the real world. People of status get treated different, that's how it is.

It is easier to think a program can rise quickly when the facility arms race is factored in. OSU got 165M in December 2005 to turn their largely High School stadium into a modern facility. They have since added indoor practice facility, new training table, academic center and many other non-football athletic facilities. This alone can get the attention of recruits (see Oregon). Also, they really didn't become relevant until 2007 and arguably 2011. I think there was some funny business there, but no different than any other school. At least they were only paying players and not giving walk-ons free meals...lets keep it in perspective :lol:

The NCAA will not do much. Okie gave players cars (Rhett Bomar), USC had Reggie Bush paid cash, Auburn bought Cam for what, $250,000?, Miami was paying players, tOSU was paying players, Manziel was selling hundreds of autographs...the fact of the matter is, the NCAA will gobble the knob of the big programs and drop the hammer on the little guys. They are the biggest joke in the world. Hopefully, the BCS conferences will simply tell the hacks in Indianapolis to pound sand and set their own rules.

The NCAA will not do much. Okie gave players cars (Rhett Bomar), USC had Reggie Bush paid cash, Auburn bought Cam for what, $250,000?, Miami was paying players, tOSU was paying players, Manziel was selling hundreds of autographs...the fact of the matter is, the NCAA will gobble the knob of the big programs and drop the hammer on the little guys. They are the biggest joke in the world. Hopefully, the BCS conferences will simply tell the hacks in Indianapolis to pound sand and set their own rules.

Not exactly helping the argument with that example. USC got hammered for what an agent outside of the program did. I think this one might end differently if some of the players that claim payments plaid within the statute of limitations. Mind you, I'm nnot predicting a death penalty, but they could get a few years of Christmas in Stillwater.

Not exactly helping the argument with that example. USC got hammered for what an agent outside of the program did. I think this one might end differently if some of the players that claim payments plaid within the statute of limitations. Mind you, I'm nnot predicting a death penalty, but they could get a few years of Christmas in Stillwater.
Your definition of coming down hard and mine are different. What would have happened to say, Utah or Wyoming or Indiana got caught doing what USC did? They would not have been handled as gently as SC.

Your definition of coming down hard and mine are different. What would have happened to say, Utah or Wyoming or Indiana got caught doing what USC did? They would not have been handled as gently as SC.

Agree to disagree on that one. 2 years bowl ban and heavy scholarship reductions are some of the most serious penalties the NCAA has handed out in a while. Without them, Carroll might still be coach of a perennial top 5 teams, and Tennessee fans would be burning a cross in Kiffin's yard.

Agree to disagree on that one. 2 years bowl ban and heavy scholarship reductions are some of the most serious penalties the NCAA has handed out in a while. Without them, Carroll might still be coach of a perennial top 5 teams, and Tennessee fans would be burning a cross in Kiffin's yard.
Fair enough, I believe any of the schools I mentioned would have been punished even more severely.

You're not helping.

I didn't know anything about this until I heard the brief interview Todd Blackledge did with the Fan morning show to promote his taste of the town book. I read the overview and part one. That being said, my initial instincts are twofold----This is the beginning of a trend of the NCAA allowing Yahoo Sports (who broke the Miami story) and now SI to do their investigative work for them. Too many programs improperly feeding recruits? Secondly, Dohrmann (if I remember right) wrote that expose on how Howland had lost UCLA basketball (and made it out to be some big "scandal"), and wrote another SI piece that alleged CU had allowed an agent to get close to our players in the late 80s/early 90s, and Alfred embarrassed him on the radio for it. Point being, he has a history IMO of exaggerating/overplaying his stories. If true, this is a program run amok, and Gundy should lose his job, and LSU should be punished. I'll wait to see, though.

Dohrmann (if I remember right) wrote that expose on how Howland had lost UCLA basketball (and made it out to be some big "scandal"), and wrote another SI piece that alleged CU had allowed an agent to get close to our players in the late 80s/early 90s, and Alfred embarrassed him on the radio for it. Point being, he has a history IMO of exaggerating/overplaying his stories. If true, this is a program run amok, and Gundy should lose his job, and LSU should be punished. I'll wait to see, though.

I don't know about Dohrmann, but Jason Whitlock just said some pretty scathing things about the other guy involved in this story, Thayer Evans. Among other things, he says that Thayer Evans is a HUGE Sooners fan.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Jason_Whitlock_slams_SI_writer_Thayer_Evans/11-22173

I didn't know anything about this until I heard the brief interview Todd Blackledge did with the Fan morning show to promote his taste of the town book. I read the overview and part one. That being said, my initial instincts are twofold----This is the beginning of a trend of the NCAA allowing Yahoo Sports (who broke the Miami story) and now SI to do their investigative work for them. Too many programs improperly feeding recruits? Secondly, Dohrmann (if I remember right) wrote that expose on how Howland had lost UCLA basketball (and made it out to be some big "scandal"), and wrote another SI piece that alleged CU had allowed an agent to get close to our players in the late 80s/early 90s, and Alfred embarrassed him on the radio for it. Point being, he has a history IMO of exaggerating/overplaying his stories. If true, this is a program run amok, and Gundy should lose his job, and LSU should be punished. I'll wait to see, though.

This guy gets subtext!

Semper Gumby

I have a friend who's close to the Okie Lite program. He says most everyone is pissed off that they're having to go through this, but they're also not concerned at all. Apparently they have multiple players who were interviewed who are coming out and saying they were misquoted, other players in the story were ones who an axe to grind with the program, and the author and researchers have terrible reputations. According my friend at least. He's an Okie Lite alum, but not a complete homer.

I have a friend who's close to the Okie Lite program. He says most everyone is pissed off that they're having to go through this, but they're also not concerned at all. Apparently they have multiple players who were interviewed who are coming out and saying they were misquoted, other players in the story were ones who an axe to grind with the program, and the author and researchers have terrible reputations. According my friend at least. He's an Okie Lite alum, but not a complete homer.

I think the authors are a little suspect, but it is Sports Illustrated, who still has some credibility. And they did get guys on tape with these comments, so not all of them will be able to say their comments were forged or taken out of context. Thayer Evans, one of the authors, was basically called out as a lying hack by Jason Whitlock today, which I don't know if that gives Evans more credibility or less.

Last edited:
I think the authors are a little suspect, but it is Sports Illustrated, who still has some credibility. And they did get guys on tape with these comments, so not all of them will be able to say their comments were forged or taken out of context. Thayer Evans, one of the authors, was basically called out as a lying hack by Jason Whitlock today, which I don't know if that gives Evans more credibility or less.

Same rag with the same credibility that ran the Hnida bull**** article.

its a vetted article. Obviously the payment scheme created some friction in the locker room. Would be very surprised if its retracted. No surprise that everything discussed is after the statute of limitations.

That's usually how this stuff gets out. If everyone's happy, no one breaks the code of silence.

Back