What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Miami, Florida.

According to al.com, head coach Nick Saban made a statement regarding the accusations toward his two staff members.
“I know what goes on in this program, and I know that we do things correctly,” Saban said. “We do have people in this organization who worked there [at Miami]. Before those people were ever hired here, we do an NCAA check to make sure they pass all compliance criteria and that they don’t have any red flags relative to compliance history.

I read this as code for we know how to cheat better than those dumb asses in Miami.

Missouri basketball hire, Frank Haith, appears to be mixed up in this as well. he wasn't exactly firing up the Tiger fans in the first place.....bad 6 months for MU hoops....lose Anderson, get dinked around by Matt Painter, underwhelm with Haith who now may be dirty.

that 43-69 ACC record is worth the risk!

"Most of these kids have done nothing wrong," Highsmith said. "If you have a family and one child does something wrong then he can't go to Disney World. But you don't make all of the rest of the kids stay home too. "

So Highsmith is claiming that in a team sport, the actions of one player don't affect the team? I wonder how many windsprints he's run because the last guy was too slow. His basis is weak.

"Most of these kids have done nothing wrong," Highsmith said. "If you have a family and one child does something wrong then he can't go to Disney World. But you don't make all of the rest of the kids stay home too. ".

The failed logic is the parents of said family knew that the Disney tickets were obtained illegally.

"Most of these kids have done nothing wrong," Highsmith said. "If you have a family and one child does something wrong then he can't go to Disney World. But you don't make all of the rest of the kids stay home too. "

So Highsmith is claiming that in a team sport, the actions of one player don't affect the team? I wonder how many windsprints he's run because the last guy was too slow. His basis is weak.

Complete breakdown of logic.

It would be like if we said that the courts couldn't fine or punish a company because the company had some new employees who weren't there when the infractions occurred and it just wouldn't be fair to them.

As stated earlier, the players would be free to transfer without penalty to eligibility just like was done at USC.

It would be like if we said that the courts couldn't fine or punish a company because the company had some new employees who weren't there when the infractions occurred and it just wouldn't be fair to them.

As stated earlier, the players would be free to transfer without penalty to eligibility just like was done at USC.
Whaddya expect from that fine Miami education?

Along those lines, are there any Miami players that we ought to keep an eye on?

Miami knows they are in deep and are in big trouble. They are looking for any kind of justifications they can find to deflect the damage that is going to happen to the program.

With what has come out in public Miami at worst is going to get wrecked with sanctions. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a reduction to 10-15 schollys a year and a cap of 50-60 along with no TV, post-season, etc. They may even lose a home season (no OOC, conference games on the road.) They won't get the death penalty but they will get blasted into the stone-age.

In Ponzi schemes the trustee for the estate is required to find any and all assets to repay investors, and the US attorney is supposed to assist in collecting any excessive cash payouts. This means anyone who is a net winner (someone who withdrawals more cash then they put in), or a beneficiary of cash (non profits, churches, and universities) can be sued to return funds. The trustee and attorney will have subpoena power to collect all the cash they can for the investors who got screwed. So Miami will need to return the $150k Shapiro gave to have his name on a student lounge, and most of the other donations he gave (I do like the picture of Shalala holding the $50k check from him). It will be interesting to see if the Trustee would go so far as to collect cash paid to football players, especially those who went pro and could afford to pay it back. This would be a level that the NCAA has never been able to reach as they lack subpoena power. This would give an extensive level of detail to what one booster was doing there.

I wonder if any of the files and receipts that Yahoo was given will make their way to the Trustee and Justice department. If I were the Trustee I would want that information to see what else could be collected for the investors.

As an SMU grad I am interested to see if there will be another member of the club no football program wants to join.

I think they can avoid the death penalty while still coming down really, really hard. Something like no scholarships at all for two years and an overall reduction in scholarships from 85 to 40 for 5 years. In many ways, that's more destructive than the death penalty. It makes the school keep it's program and run it in such a way that it is a drain on the finances of the University.

I think they can avoid the death penalty while still coming down really, really hard. Something like no scholarships at all for two years and an overall reduction in scholarships from 85 to 40 for 5 years. In many ways, that's more destructive than the death penalty. It makes the school keep it's program and run it in such a way that it is a drain on the finances of the University.

This is what I am thinking, they will hit them hard enough that they not only suffer through the time of the sanctions but also suffer for at least a couple of years or more after the sanctions are over. They will do what it takes to make sure that Miami becomes the whipping boy for everyone they play. They will end up resembling SMU the first couple of years after they came back.

You bet we will come down hard.

Signed,

The NCAA that allowed OSU players to play in their bowl game last year knowing they had received inproper benefits if they pinky promised to come back and serve their suspension next year.

Along those lines, are there any Miami players that we ought to keep an eye on?

Well, I'm not sure that we'd be in the running, but you'd have to think that Seantrall Henderson and Blake Ayles (sp?) would be key targets; they transferred TO Miami FROM USC because of the sanctions there. Of course, that was after the sanctions were revealed. It will be (my guess) at least 2 years before the sanctions are fully stated.

Well, I'm not sure that we'd be in the running, but you'd have to think that Seantrall Henderson and Blake Ayles (sp?) would be key targets; they transferred TO Miami FROM USC because of the sanctions there. Of course, that was after the sanctions were revealed. It will be (my guess) at least 2 years before the sanctions are fully stated.

Lucky bastards got paid twice.

You bet we will come down hard.

Signed,

The NCAA that allowed OSU players to play in their bowl game last year knowing they had received inproper benefits if they pinky promised to come back and serve their suspension next year.

Miami =/= Ohio State. tOSU is a favorite child. Miami is a red-headed stepchild. Nobody likes Miami, especially the NCAA. If anything the heavy handed methods of the NCAA will work against Miami here.

Miami =/= Ohio State. tOSU is a favorite child. Miami is a red-headed stepchild. Nobody likes Miami, especially the NCAA. If anything the heavy handed methods of the NCAA will work against Miami here.

I hope so. FINISH THEM!!!

[video=youtube;1PcHNvSMFBQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PcHNvSMFBQ[/video]
[video=youtube;SjbPi00k_ME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME[/video]

Last edited:
SIAP

Reporter’s exposè on Miami Hurricanes was surreal journey

gleeb gun empty. nice.

edit: and oh god, Miami is so ****ed :lol:

“It was this huge stack of checks, huuuuuuuge,” says Robinson. “I put it on my kitchen table next to a copy of War And Peace and snapped a picture to send to my editor. It would have taken a stack of about five War And Peaces to equal the checks.” Yet within two hours of starting to sort through the checks, Robinson struck journalistic pay dirt: a $2,500 check from Shapiro to Clint Hurtt, the Hurricanes’ football recruiting coordinator. The check was important support for Shapiro’s claim that he gave Hurtt an interest-free loan of $5,000, half in cash and half by check – a violation of NCAA rules

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/...expose-on-miami-hurricanes.html#ixzz1W1DEG2Gl

and
“Shapiro gave us the names of well over 100 players he had helped, many more than the 73 we named in the story, but we couldn’t use them. A lot of people assume we just printed whatever Shapiro told us. That’s not true at all. We were pretty intense about what names were going to be in this story. We had to have something besides his word.”
73 players taking improper benefits with hard evidence. Hundreds without. Hell, all the NCAA needs is a ****ing picture..... Good lord.

Last edited:
[h=1]June 12, 1995[/h]
0612_large.jpg

You can still read this article on SI.com. Click the "View this Issue" link.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/9487/index.htm

gleeb gun empty. nice.

edit: and oh god, Miami is so ****ed :lol:

and 73 players taking improper benefits with hard evidence. Hundreds without. Hell, all the NCAA needs is a ****ing picture..... Good lord.

The Paper trail... Never Leave a paper trail... Checks have got to be the worst way to do sneaky stuff. Same with Oregon and Chip Kelly signing checks himself from the university to that recruiting service. Always use cash. Always use a third party. Always use pre paid phones. Miami is about to be royally ****ed by the NCAA. I would say I am sorry but as the son of a Seminole, I say good riddance. Now if they can get rid of that abomination in gainesville, the world would be a better place.

Donna Shalala, hard not to laugh at that PR piece attached to the story. Sounded to me like a "We're gonna take a huge hit, please keep contributing money so our ship doesn't sink" type of plea. I hope the NCAA doesn't give them the death penalty. I hope they cripple UM's FB team so that everybody who got the score run up on them gets a chacne to return the favor...in spades.

13 Canes ineligible per ESPN. Gonna be a bad decade for them.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Thirteen Miami football players are ineligible until they are reinstated by the NCAA, a source close to the team confirmed to ESPN.com's Heather Dinich.

The source said Miami declared the players under investigation by the NCAA ineligible to allow the NCAA to make a ruling by the season opener.

Last edited:
This is the same strategy that Auburn took with Cam and the NCAA buckled within a week. There will be no proof established for a long time. Evasive maneuver I think.

I think Miami is going to be able to hold most of their current class together. Those predicting everyone to jump ship will be surprised. Al Golden has gone after kids from the Miami area who grew up idolizing the 'Canes. 20 of their current 24 commits are from FL and you'd think it might be the out of state guys who would tend to waver first. 5* RB Duke Johnson has said only the death penalty will stop him from being a 'Cane, and a few others have already voiced that sentiment as well, including Raphael Kirby. Al Golden is the type of coach kids want to play for. I met him before a bowl game a few years back and he's one sharp dude who is brilliant when it comes to defense. It sucks for him to have stumbled into the situation that dumbasses like Larry Coker allowed to flourish, but if Miami needs some major rebuilding then they have the perfect coach for the job. His work on UVA's D was incredible, including bringing in a top 5 class nationally in '02. They were never the same after he left, and people thought he was crazy for taking the Temple job. Obviously it goes without saying that taking Temple to a bowl game in such a short timespan (and winning 8 games last year) is one of the most incredible turn-arounds in college football. I hate the 'Canes, but in normal circumstances there isn't a doubt in my mind he would have had Miami back winning ACC championships in no time. There won't be much in the way of future commits this year, but I think they'll hold most of what they already have, which is pretty damn solid. DT Earl Brown committed as recently as 8/14

My sincerest apologies about the font size.

Pac-12's Larry Scott, those connected to USC react to Miami report

Conference chairman says if allegations of widespread corruption hold true, it underscores need for dramatic reforms. Former Miami AD Paul Dee is called out for comments upon NCAA sanctions for USC.

Larry Scott, commissioner of the Pacific 12 Conference, has quickly gained a reputation for making bold moves.
And bold statements too.

That was evident again Wednesday when Scott reflected on a Yahoo! Sports report detailing how a now-imprisoned University of Miami booster allegedly provided impermissible benefits to more than 70 Hurricanes athletes from 2002 to 2010.
pixel.gif

Paul Dee was Miami's athletic director from 1993 to 2008. Last year, he was chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions, overseeing USC's receiving sanctions that ranked among the most severe in college sports history.
In a telephone interview, Scott was asked whether he agreed with national college football columnists who had described Dee as hypocritical.

"If the allegations prove true," he said, "the words irony and hypocrisy don't seem to go far enough."
Scott said that, if allegations prove true, the Yahoo Sports! story was "a real indictment of some of the problems that exist in college sports and college football and underscores the need for dramatic reform in rules, culture and the enforcement process."

An advocate for change, he noted: "I like considering bold, new ideas in terms of reform. If I worry about anything, it's that the reform effort moves too slowly and does not go far enough."

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/17/sports/la-sp-0818-usc-football-20110818

Back