1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We now take you to Starkville, Mississippi

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by AlferdJasper, Aug 18, 2014.

1. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I'm a pushover for feel-good stories. This is one. Small town good kid & good player gets rewarded.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-walk-on-scholarship-dan-mullen-cfb-am-081814

CFB AM: Dan Mullen gives 'walk-on MVP' scholarship in cool moment

DeAndre Ward arrived in Starkville from Wetumpka, a sliver carved out near the center of Alabama, which provided a home for less than 7,000 people the last time the U.S. census calculated populations four years ago.

He played linebacker and ran track, winning a team captain award and a scholar athlete award and a most valuable defensive player award. He attended a Baptist church, where he served as an usher and sang in the youth choir.

Ward’s Twitter bio reads , “Chasing my dreams & I’m only yards away!!!”

On Sunday, Ward got a little bit closer.

After spending his freshman season in 2013 as a walk-on at Mississippi State, head coach Dan Mullen decided Ward had earned a scholarship. So in a team meeting, he called the linebacker to the front of the room and said, “We’ve got something for you tonight – open that up,” handing him a white envelope with a single sheet of white paper inside.

When Ward opened the paper, the same message flashed on the projector in the meeting room: “You are now on scholarship.” Everyone erupted, and Ward took this great photo of him holding the note with Mullen smiling in the background:
    [​IMG]
    [video=youtube_share;JBrQSG6STHU]http://youtu.be/JBrQSG6STHU[/video]

Okay, if you are disappointed that there's nothing much to see here, and dislike Notre Dame or academic scandals, click the link and check out #2 under THREE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ...

2. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Cool, good for him.