What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We should be trying to add a (quality) transfer every year

Transfers want to go somewhere there is a clear opportunity to get minutes, and that really wasn't the case in Colorado. Of course Colorado would be better if they had a couple 15 ppg type players on the roster, but if a player has a choice between starting somewhere or coming off the bench, it's usually a very easy choice.

Carlon Brown made sense at the time because there wasn't a lot of experience at guard for Colorado. If there is a clear opening again, I'd suspect Tad will have more success bringing in a transfer

Oregon's doing pretty good

Its working out so well for CSU. The team that is going to have to scrape by to get into the NIT.

Top-2 leading scorers for CSU are transfers, top-3 leading scorers for Oregon are transfer. Despite your sarcasm you've actually both proven my point. Where would these programs be without these transfers? Would they be better off with Dustin Thomas or George King then Joseph Young or JJ Avila? The fact that neither is having an amazing season is not because they take transfers, just the opposite in fact. Plus Oregon did make the sweet-16 last year and CSU has 4 players sitting out this year, they're going to be very good next year. I'm also not even advocating we take the approach of these programs and have half the team coming from other schools, just that we should add one, maybe two transfers a year to fill needs.

In light of the team's current performance specifically that of the players outside of the "big-4", now the big-3, it's time to have this discussion again. As we have seen this year, recruits are unreliable. They may look good on paper but that doesn't mean they will turn out to be any good and/or it may take then several years to fulfill their potential. Transfers are proven commodities, you can actually look how they produced at the d-1 (and many produce at high levels) rather then simply projection as with high school players. The learning/developmental curve they face is also typically much smaller if existent at all. They are going to be much more ready from day-1.

So why does the great Tad-winner of exactly one NCAA tournament game during his career, keep adding all these recruits? How bout specifically Stalzer and King late in the spring? Call me crazy but I think we might just be better off a couple upperclassman 15 ppg scorers then these two and that's hardly a "well hindsight is 20/20" type sentiment. You might be thinking, but JRK, you make it sound so easy, if it really was Tad would clearly be doing this. Well the reality, as shown by the players CSU and other smaller schools have been been able to bring in, is that many of these players don't end up at elite level programs, and even for those who are highly sought after its not like we're an undesirable program. You would have thought that Carlon Brown coming in and leading us in scoring then carrying us to the NCAA tournament would have inspired the use of additional transfers, but clearly that's far too logical. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this sentiment seem pretty cut and dry, not sure how anyone, including Tad, can disagree with this post.

Great post - I could not agree more.

Top-2 leading scorers for CSU are transfers, top-3 leading scorers for Oregon are transfer.

So you have us emulate two teams we beat, one that may not make the NIT, both with losing conference records, with zero wins over ranked programs, and one of the worst defenses in the country? Especially as it pertains to the last one have you been watching CU basketball recently? We like to play defense, Dana Altman usually has mediocre defensive teams but this year is an abortion because no one plays together, their guards don't defend and their interior is made up of soft players. They've actually gotten worse as more of their transfers have gotten eligible (carter I am looking at you).

You'd be better off when you want to make these stupid arguments breaking out the Google machine and finding some good examples. Both CSU and Oregon despite having very good coaching staffs are playing poorly, defend poorly, and generally doing all the things well coached teams dont do. This is a symptom of chemistry issues and team cohesiveness issues that come when you put a team of mercenaries of the floor.

You might be thinking, but JRK, you make it sound so easy, if it really was Tad would clearly be doing this.

I can assure you that about 5% of people on this board are thinking this and 100% of them are morons.

Do you guys think getting transfers hurts recruiting? Will kids be gun-shy about going to a school knowing they won't have a chance to develop. So on paper, it sounds great to bring in one of the few transfers a year (how many 15 ppg guys are their really) to compliment your roster but in reality is it going to keep your Spencers and dre type players from developing by not getting minutes? Is it going to keep them from choosing your school in the first place.

If I am a high school ball player the coach needs to sell me on how I fit in the program. If he wants me to average 15 ppg immediately as a freshman or else he will get a transfer and sit on the bench for 3 years then I may go elsewhere. Also how can you possibly play good defense if you keep rotating players into the program. Team defense is built on trust and experience.

Do you guys think getting transfers hurts recruiting? Will kids be gun-shy about going to a school knowing they won't have a chance to develop. So on paper, it sounds great to bring in one of the few transfers a year (how many 15 ppg guys are their really) to compliment your roster but in reality is it going to keep your Spencers and dre type players from developing by not getting minutes? Is it going to keep them from choosing your school in the first place.

If I am a high school ball player the coach needs to sell me on how I fit in the program. If he wants me to average 15 ppg immediately as a freshman or else he will get a transfer and sit on the bench for 3 years then I may go elsewhere. Also how can you possibly play good defense if you keep rotating players into the program. Team defense is built on trust and experience.

Here is a list f 20 impact guys, I think we can agree the guys headed to the KU's of the worlds aren't coming here so that rules out some players, others are having an imprint on the stat sheet but not the W/L column (moser/young):

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...on-preview-impact-transfers-in-college-hoops/

BTW this would have taken you 4 seconds J-R-K and then you wouldnt look so stupid.

Top-2 leading scorers for CSU are transfers, top-3 leading scorers for Oregon are transfer. Despite your sarcasm you've actually both proven my point. Where would these programs be without these transfers? Would they be better off with Dustin Thomas or George King then Joseph Young or JJ Avila? The fact that neither is having an amazing season is not because they take transfers, just the opposite in fact. Plus Oregon did make the sweet-16 last year and CSU has 4 players sitting out this year, they're going to be very good next year. I'm also not even advocating we take the approach of these programs and have half the team coming from other schools, just that we should add one, maybe two transfers a year to fill needs.

Go visit an Oregon board and read, they will whole heartedly disagree with this, they are done with the transfers, the lack of cohesion, the lack of player development, the up and down years. Joseph Young that great Oregon transfer can't play a lick of defense and is killing Oregon even with his offensive production, a lot of Oregon fans hate him.

PlUS TAD HAS PUBLICLY STATED THAT HE WILL LOOK TO ADD A TRANSFER EVERY YEAR IF THERE IS THE RIGHT FIT.

Go visit an Oregon board and read, they will whole heartedly disagree with this, they are done with the transfers, the lack of cohesion, the lack of player development, the up and down years. Joseph Young that great Oregon transfer can't play a lick of defense and is killing Oregon even with his offensive production, a lot of Oregon fans hate him.

PlUS TAD HAS PUBLICLY STATED THAT HE WILL LOOK TO ADD A TRANSFER EVERY YEAR IF THERE IS THE RIGHT FIT.

Dont bother he could have used TJ McConnell as an example in our conference and that would have been a good one, instead we get "lets be Oregon" yeah except they suck.

Possibly, look at Oregon, the two guys that take the most shots are Young and Moser. They are taking shots and possessions away from some very good players like Artis and Lloyd.

Possibly, look at Oregon, the two guys that take the most shots are Young and Moser. They are taking shots and possessions away from some very good players like Artis and Lloyd.

Moser is the classic big stat on a bad team guy.

didn't know that McConnell was a transfer. The kid plays really smart basketball. Great transfer for them.

You suck. And you do realize that Eustachy basically missed on 10 transfers who could immediately play this year... Which is why they suck ass this year. I bet they have fun in 2016 after 8 guys graduate again. We should emulate that imo. Suck every other year and hope for a good year when all the transfers are eligible.

:nod:

I don't understand this thinking. The only reason we are even in this situation is because of a freak, catastrophic injury to our PG. Even UofA would see a significant drop off if their starting PG suddenly was unable to play. The freshman were supposed to gain experience this year, they were not supposed to be vital to our success. The situation changed quickly, and we got caught with our pants down.

Tad looks for transfers, but if they don't fit, he doesn't bring them in.

I don't understand this thinking. The only reason we are even in this situation is because of a freak, catastrophic injury to our PG. Even UofA would see a significant drop off if their starting PG suddenly was unable to play. The freshman were supposed to gain experience this year, they were not supposed to be vital to our success. The situation changed quickly, and we got caught with our pants down.

Tad looks for transfers, but if they don't fit, he doesn't bring them in.

He (McConnell) is a transfer, btw

While he is, Sean Miller only takes players that fit his system. He doesn't look to build his team with transfers, he finds players to plug in without disrupting the whole.

As great as his recruiting has been, he has struggled to recruit a PG. He's had to go the transfer route the past 2 seasons.

So you have us emulate two teams we beat, one that may not make the NIT, both with losing conference records, with zero wins over ranked programs, and one of the worst defenses in the country? Especially as it pertains to the last one have you been watching CU basketball recently? We like to play defense, Dana Altman usually has mediocre defensive teams but this year is an abortion because no one plays together, their guards don't defend and their interior is made up of soft players. They've actually gotten worse as more of their transfers have gotten eligible (carter I am looking at you).

You'd be better off when you want to make these stupid arguments breaking out the Google machine and finding some good examples. Both CSU and Oregon despite having very good coaching staffs are playing poorly, defend poorly, and generally doing all the things well coached teams dont do. This is a symptom of chemistry issues and team cohesiveness issues that come when you put a team of mercenaries of the floor.

Again i'm not advocating for the Oregon/CSU approach, would hate that actually. I would however have liked for us to bring in more then ZERO transfers over the past four recruiting classes. That being said SDSU is an example where this approach has worked. 5 of their top 6 players are transfers and they're currently #5 in the country plus have had lots of success in previous years. It's also not like some inherent function of transfer is that they're bad defensively. If Andre Roberson had transferred something tells me he would have helped his new team on the other end of the floor.

Again i'm not advocating for the Oregon/CSU approach, would hate that actually. I would however have liked for us to bring in more then ZERO transfers over the past four recruiting classes. That being said SDSU is an example where this approach has worked. 5 of their top 6 players are transfers and they're currently #5 in the country plus have had lots of success in previous years. It's also not like some inherent function of transfer is that they're bad defensively. If Andre Roberson had transferred something tells me he would have helped his new team on the other end of the floor.

2013 - None
2012 - None
2011 - Jeremy Adams
2010 - Carlon Brown

Dude, you try too hard sometimes.

2013 - None
2012 - None
2011 - Jeremy Adams
2010 - Carlon Brown

Dude, you try too hard sometimes.

I'm not talking about JUCO's, have no interest, DON'T want them. They're production is hard to project just like freshman (see Jeremy Adams) plus its often a red flag that a player ended up at a JUCO in the first place. And am including this year.

2014 - None
2013 - None
2012 - None
2011 - None

Last edited:
That's just some pathetic **** right there, JRK. obviously trying to avoid the Brown transfer from your #s, and Adams actually spent a year at a real school. Injuries ruined him, not his year at Juco.

Adding 2014 is a nice touch too. :rofl:

A good question for JRK, queen of the transfers: How many real talented players are available to transfer every year?

This idea that Tad is trying, but has to find the "right fit" seems like BS. Of all the quality transfers over the past several years only the two or three that we have been very loosely linked to and may not have really even pursued were the "right fit?" Is Tad Goldilocks? Obviously you have to be somewhat selective but that being said it's not like these guys are ax murderers. To me the right fit is someone whose a good player. Deandre Kane is going for 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists for ISU this year, was he not the right fit? Were JJ Avila's 19 points and 9 rebounds per game not the right fit to replace Roberson? How bout Jenkins, Stalzer, Talton, Mills, Adams, Cain, TDB on current freshman. These guys were the right fit, right? How has that worked out.

JRK- "I don't want us to be like CSU/UO, but I will list them as transfer success stories ITT."

This idea that Tad is trying, but has to find the "right fit" seems like BS. Of all the quality transfers over the past several years only the two or three that we have been very loosely linked to and may not have really even pursued were the "right fit?" Is Tad Goldilocks? Obviously you have to be somewhat selective but that being said it's not like these guys are ax murderers. To me the right fit is someone whose a good player. Deandre Kane is going for 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists for ISU this year, was he not the right fit? Were JJ Avila's 19 points and 9 rebounds per game not the right fit to replace Roberson? How bout Jenkins, Stalzer, Talton, Mills, Adams, Cain, TDB on current freshman. These guys were the right fit, right? How has that worked out.
It was going to take us to the sweet 16 until injury happened, you (insert incredulous insult here)

It was going to take us to the sweet 16 until injury happened, you (insert incredulous insult here)

And due to a terrible lack of depth at point guard, which could and should have been addressed via a four year transfer or juco ranks, we are now in the bottom three teams in the PAC 12 due to the loss of one player. We went from being a very good team to a pretty poor (not even mediocre) team, with the loss of only one player. If Arizona wins the National Title with a D-1 transfer at point guard, maybe you can call Sean Miller and disucss with him his poor decision to recruit McConnell

Back