What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We should have kept Embree

I guess this answers the question of whether you and OMFGasm are fraternal or maternal twins.

?? He was a terrible troll, but CSU did beat us and they did "announce" their stadium. I knew I would get this kind of response. I guess Andersen/Bellotti eliminating us because of facilities doesn't count. Plus we could have gotten rid of Bohn who has assfv(ked us in this coaching search

?? He was a terrible troll, but CSU did beat us and they did "announce" their stadium. I knew I would get this kind of response. I guess Andersen/Bellotti eliminating us because of facilities doesn't count. Plus we could have gotten rid of Bohn who has assfv(ked us in this coaching search

Do you really think they eliminated us for facilities? Or do you think that if they were interested on any level, the AD could have compellingly shown them an upgrade plan with projected finances?

ICO your brother, I did acknowledge following the CSU game that he had a right to swing by and talk ****. However, his logic was frequently flawed, you must acknowledge...

CSU beat us because of COACHING (i.e. Embree - who you wanted to keep around another year). And CSU didn't "announce" a stadium - they "announced" that they need a certain amount of money in 2 years in order to make this thing possibly happen. Have we heard a word since about how their fundraising is going? Are they breaking ground soon?

Seriously slider, just stop.

CSU beat us because of COACHING (i.e. Embree - who you wanted to keep around another year). And CSU didn't "announce" a stadium - they "announced" that they need a certain amount of money in 2 years in order to make this thing possibly happen. Have we heard a word since about how their fundraising is going? Are they breaking ground soon?

Seriously slider, just stop.

Keeping Embree allows us to attract a better long term candidate imo. We're throwing around $2.5mil+ and the best thing we can attract is a 1 year HC and the HC at SJSU who has been turned down by every other opening

If wishes were smart phones, beggers would blog.

If ifs ands and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry ****ing bowl season.

Prior to Embree's firing announcement, I would argue that the optimum solution would have been to wait Benson out. He turns 75 on July 4th, 2013 and reportedly is nearing the end of a five year contract in March. Step 1 would have been to pressure the regents to back fill Bruce with a president who considers athletic success a strategic priority. This new president addresses the AD situation by relieving Chancellor DiStephano of his oversight responsibilities of the athletics department. Then the new president reviews Mike Bohn and either backs him or replaces him. Meanwhile Embree muddles through the 2013 season, and maybe shows progress in front of an historically low number of spectators.

With the new leadership in place, Benson's successor goes about the business of working with the AD to figure out the coaching situation.

That plan starts from the top and works down the chain of command.

But that plan is now water under the bridge with the prompt and decisive firing of Embree. The leadership finally have decided to show a commitment now that has been otherwise missing since the Barnett era. Benson, DiStephano and Bohn have a legacy of riding the football program into the ground, and have decided at the twilight of their careers to paper over years of neglect of the asset, where the AMC and other priorities succeeded while football failed. Benson and DiStephano are political animals who are making pledges that will be transitioned to others in a big effort to save face.

This painful coaching hire process is trending towards being a retribution and atonement excersize directed at Bohn and his leadership by a fractured fan base. A faction of the fan base has lost trust in those that tarnished the football brand.

Things might get better with the new coach announcement if he can find a way to win, but these rifts might not heal until the stewards that presided over the fall of the football program are ultimately replaced.

I don't see any viable scenario that restates Embree as coach. The racism allegations have made that choice to toxic too contemplate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now before you neg rep, hear me out. I fully admit Embree was a god awful coach and he did not deserve another year. We would have been terrible in 2013. We would lose out on probably 10k season ticket holders and many more than would renounce their CU fanship forever. But, we would weather the storm.

The CU admin could show their commitment by announcing facilities (or even break ground) to keep the fans with something to look forward to. We would have nice shiny uniforms for message board fodder. Mike Bohn would finally be fired and the new AD would lead the HC search after the 2013 season. And we would likely even show some progress on the field. Keeping Embree shouldn't have been about 2013, but 2014,2015,2016 and beyond. 2013 would have tangible signs of hope for the future. We wouldn't have to sell a promise to the next coach, and coaches wouldn't turn us down because of our facilities (Bellotti, Andersen). 2013 would suck, but the years after that would be so much better. This years coaching pool has been below average, but we could have sold so much more in 2013. Tangible evidence of facilities, that may actually be done earlier than 3 years into tenure. We could have attracted much better candidates. And all those fans that renounced their fanship and gave up season tickets would be back, like they always are. Now with all this said.... DOOOOM:popcorn:
Interesting Idea. Bad (read: terrible) argument.

First, let's talk about your premise that facilities would happen if we kept Embree. All rumblings were that the season was scuttling the facilities plan. As in, Solich wanted active and strong leadership at CU, and he wasn't seeing it if we kept Embree. We keep Embree, probably no (or much more limited) facilities. That takes care of your idea right there.

Second, even assuming we could get facilities, you seem to think that another year of Embree digging CU into a deeper hole would somehow be helpful. When trying to get OUT of a hole, you don't dig it even deeper, than start yelling at everyone up top that "hey, look, there's no WAY it can go any deeper, so just come help me out!"

In short: none of what you said actually makes sense.

So, we lose our first choice in BJ (unless Anderson in Logan was ACTUALLY our first...or Tedford:wtf:) and now it would have been better to have kept Embree? No way. We have some hope now. There was NO HOPE with JE...and we were looking at doing this again next year (and why think it would have been any better then? If we had another horrifying season, it might be worse...).

We are still way ahead. There's no reason to believe we are going to get any more or less lucky with new coaching hires now. Nick Saban wasn't coming to CU. The sort of coaching names we are bantering around now are almost certainly of the same caliber we would be bantering around a year from now (with likely a bigger crater...less butts in the seats in Folsom, and maybe even more upset people and venom and lost reputation than we have now).

As much of a cluster**** as this has been...we are ahead of the game.

Pretend Embree squeaks out 3 wins next year. Then what, keep him for another b/c he's showing improvement? F.

Pretend Embree squeaks out 3 wins next year. Then what, keep him for another b/c he's showing improvement? F.

Exactly, nightmare scenarios. Embree get lucky and closes out the season with a pair of fluke wins on dumb luck turnovers. We finish the season 4-7. D'oh.

We lost a mid level coach to a suckass SEC team this year. How would next year be better?

Interesting Idea. Bad (read: terrible) argument.

First, let's talk about your premise that facilities would happen if we kept Embree. All rumblings were that the season was scuttling the facilities plan. As in, Solich wanted active and strong leadership at CU, and he wasn't seeing it if we kept Embree. We keep Embree, probably no (or much more limited) facilities. That takes care of your idea right there.

Second, even assuming we could get facilities, you seem to think that another year of Embree digging CU into a deeper hole would somehow be helpful. When trying to get OUT of a hole, you don't dig it even deeper, than start yelling at everyone up top that "hey, look, there's no WAY it can go any deeper, so just come help me out!"

In short: none of what you said actually makes sense.

Darthslapped!

Until I see Embree's name come up on any of these coaching searches then I will believe we made a bad choice in letting him go.

No way he should have been kept.

Now before you neg rep, hear me out. I fully admit Embree was a god awful coach and he did not deserve another year. We would have been terrible in 2013. We would lose out on probably 10k season ticket holders and many more than would renounce their CU fanship forever. But, we would weather the storm.

The CU admin could show their commitment by announcing facilities (or even break ground) to keep the fans with something to look forward to. We would have nice shiny uniforms for message board fodder. Mike Bohn would finally be fired and the new AD would lead the HC search after the 2013 season. And we would likely even show some progress on the field. Keeping Embree shouldn't have been about 2013, but 2014,2015,2016 and beyond. 2013 would have tangible signs of hope for the future. We wouldn't have to sell a promise to the next coach, and coaches wouldn't turn us down because of our facilities (Bellotti, Andersen). 2013 would suck, but the years after that would be so much better. This years coaching pool has been below average, but we could have sold so much more in 2013. Tangible evidence of facilities, that may actually be done earlier than 3 years into tenure. We could have attracted much better candidates. And all those fans that renounced their fanship and gave up season tickets would be back, like they always are. Now with all this said.... DOOOOM:popcorn:

Embree had to go...If you keep him, you keep EB and GB, as no competent replacement would come coach here under Embree. Its unfortunate, but those are the circumstances we were in. My only critique of this was how public the flirtation with Butch was.

[video=youtube;xlA9bNk3b5Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlA9bNk3b5Q[/video]

your ****ing drunk. **** that

Stopped reading at this point. You never ever ever EVER keep a guy who isn't working out and is a god awful coach. The fans, alums, students and most definitely the players deserve a coach who has a clue. Embree had none. Once he lost a double digit lead to Sac State his regime was dead to me. Glad he's ****ing gone and with his whiny bull**** he pulled after he got fired he can go **** himself.

I won't neg rep you tho for your opinion.

I thought about this yesterday after Jones said no. Wait a year, get more things in place to help stack the deck, then look next year. I even bet Bohn was thinking this until Embree was so goddamn awful he felt the pressure to fire him. Embree was just too bad to keep.

Hey, can one of you guys that knows Slider give him a call and let him know that his brother has stolen his log in info here? Thanks.

Why not just hire Embree back now that the allmighty Butch Jones turned us down? Sorry but this idea is absurd. Embree had to go, in fact I thought he should have been let go with games left, he was that bad. I have never seen worse football in my 34 years of watching the sport.

I think we can still get someone in here that will make us happy and that can get this turned around. I was never sold on Jones anyway. He maintained everywhere he has been, following in Brian kelly's footsteps, we need a guy who can BUILD. Our guy is out there and I think we will get him.

I think a part of the problem with Embree, was the lack of BCS level facilities at the time of his hire. We weren't really making a commitment to a BCS level program. My hope was that if we were willing to let go of Jon after two years... granted two awful years--that we were confident in our ability to get a legitimate coach AND be willing to make the commitment in upgrading facilities.

Obviously, our top candidates didn't work out and it seems like the best case scenario is bringing in a coach that has had some success at a smaller conference, maybe an assistant with no head coaching experience, or an older retread. Not exactly something to get overly excited about

I'm a hell of a lot more confident in them than in Embree. Plus we are then looking at two more horrible recruiting classes by keeping Embree in 2013 which digs the hole even deeper on the field let alone the financial crater that would have taken place. There is not one remotely good reason to have kept him a 3rd year.

Yeah yeah yeah ....our recruiting gonna sucks this year and years after no kid want to play for and un trurthful program that is bound to switch coaches every 2 years that's why we are about to lose more than half of 2012 class to transfers and that's a lot of truth to that !

Back