What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We should have kept Embree

While I disagree with Slider's point, I think it doesn't really deserve the response it's getting.

I don't think he's saying that Embree was a better coach than McIntyre.

Rather, his point is that the hire following Embree had to be one that we were 100% invested in for the long term, because it's going to be difficult to turn this one over in short order for performance (three coaches in five years...). I believe he was saying that this hire might have lacked the pedigree required for that kind of long term committment.

I'm still on board with HCMM, but I'm still scratching my head at the lack of toughness I saw along the D-line on Friday night.

This. Some people can't read apparently. HCMM>>>Embree.

While I disagree with Slider's point, I think it doesn't really deserve the response it's getting.

I don't think he's saying that Embree was a better coach than McIntyre.

Rather, his point is that the hire following Embree had to be one that we were 100% invested in for the long term, because it's going to be difficult to turn this one over in short order for performance (three coaches in five years...). I believe he was saying that this hire might have lacked the pedigree required for that kind of long term committment.

I'm still on board with HCMM, but I'm still scratching my head at the lack of toughness I saw along the D-line on Friday night.

I get his point of the post but what I take issue with is his incessant criticism of all things HCMM. He has an axe to grind and his post is just a part of that. We dropped one game and Slider is trying to lead the crusade to can Mac. It bothers me a lot that many Buff fans on this board confuse fickleness and overreaction with being a die-hard fan and patience and restraint with apathy.

There has been a lot of valid criticisms of Mac and the players after the game as well and I certainly welcome that. Slider just comes across as immature and self serving.

Why? The D-Line has been bad for years. They were worse than expected against a CSU line, but they have been the biggest concern to me on the team this spring and fall. The linebacker play? That was a head-scratcher.

There was no patience left to let him and EB 'learn on the job' so this experiment was doomed from the start (so the blame can go on Bohn and DiSteph). I was calling for his head after the 1-11 season, even though he had the cards stacked against him both in terms of personnel (losing huge Sr class from previous year) and still not experienced as a HC. I think we finally woke up the admin. and regents about the state of CU football and it's importance to CU's image, so Embree had to go.

Embree had to go because he was horrible. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. He was the worst coach I've ever seen at the collegiate level.

Embree had to go because he was horrible. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. He was the worst coach I've ever seen at the collegiate level.

Absolutely. Replacing Bohn before firing Embree would have been the thing to do.

What good does it do to continually bring up Barnett, Hawkins, or Embree? They are GONE and they are not coming back. The athletic director who hired/fired them is GONE, and he is not coming back.

Judge these current coaches (and this athletic program) by what they are TODAY - not by what happened 2 years ago, or 5 years ago, or 10 years ago.

i really miss the 10 false starts a game during the embree era or the qb sneaks with the play clock winding down... that was the worst coaching staff ever assembled!

^^This^^

Embree was overwhelmed and went into full panic mode dragging most of his staff and players with him. He actually gave me some hope in his first season with the team winning 2 of the last 3 games and appearing to be coming around. All that and more went out the window in the next year.

He also thought that recruiting was going to be the same as it was when he was on the UCLA staff or like it was in CUs heyday. When it wasn't he paniced and started going after high risk kids who ultimately washed out leaving us where we are now.

All you need to know about Embree can be told just by going back and watching him on the sidelines during games. He simply couldln't keep up with what was going on around him and didn't know how to use his staff to help.

Why? The D-Line has been bad for years. They were worse than expected against a CSU line, but they have been the biggest concern to me on the team this spring and fall. The linebacker play? That was a head-scratcher.

I knew that we were unproven along the edges. But my overall impression was that there was a lot of quit on the interior line, though I acknowledge that it may well have been related to linebackers not filling gaps.

Should have chained McCartney to the sideline.
Oooh - we should have gone all Real Genius on him, and embedded a speaker in his fillings to talk to him via Jesus
images

What good does it do to continually bring up Barnett, Hawkins, or Embree? They are GONE and they are not coming back. The athletic director who hired/fired them is GONE, and he is not coming back.

Judge these current coaches (and this athletic program) by what they are TODAY - not by what happened 2 years ago, or 5 years ago, or 10 years ago.

Embree's failures as a recruiter are impacting where we are now. He panicked, and took way too many high risk kids, many of whom never played a down here. Moreover, we are paying for the mistake that was hiring him to "fix" things here, and will be doing so for a while. I'm not an apologist for MM and staff, but we need to stick with these guys for the next few years. We'd be doing even more damage to our program by prematurely letting them go.

^^This^^

Embree was overwhelmed and went into full panic mode dragging most of his staff and players with him. He actually gave me some hope in his first season with the team winning 2 of the last 3 games and appearing to be coming around. All that and more went out the window in the next year.

He also thought that recruiting was going to be the same as it was when he was on the UCLA staff or like it was in CUs heyday. When it wasn't he paniced and started going after high risk kids who ultimately washed out leaving us where we are now.

All you need to know about Embree can be told just by going back and watching him on the sidelines during games. He simply couldln't keep up with what was going on around him and didn't know how to use his staff to help.

Rep this. This is the best post I've seen summarizing what's going on with this program right now.

Absolutely. Replacing Bohn before firing Embree would have been the thing to do.

Wasn't going to happen that way. Bohn fell on his sword for this program a lot. In doing so, he racked up a sizeable stash of IOUs.

Slider is a good guy and a die hard fan. He is just trying to deal with anger at a loss we should have won. Except....we shouldn't have won. We had a weakness and they exploited it. No fluke that they won for sure.

Exactly. A game we should have won would be one where fumbled away victory. That's not what I saw last Friday.

I feel bad for Embree. Great passion for CU. Where is he coaching now? I think CU could have done better by keeping him a fan and a supporter.

I feel bad for Embree. Great passion for CU. Where is he coaching now? I think CU could have done better by keeping him a fan and a supporter.

Hey Jon. We love your passion for the university and this football program. But you are an epic failure as a head coach. I mean like historically, once-in-a-generation bad. So you're fired. But that's on us. So how about if you say goodbye to the media and maybe mention the new season ticket deal we have going for next year. That'd be great.

Going 4-21 and leaving the program a smoldering dumpster fire left CU with no choice but to remove him. He is the one who decided to make the split ugly by accusing CU of racism and refusing to step aside gracefully.

CU fired Barnett and still maintains a strong relationship with him. Gary identifies much more strongly with CU than Northwestern despite his success there. Even Dan Hawkins who catches the wrath of many CU fans and who was fired in-season maintains cordial relations with CU and the CU community.

Embree's disconnect from the program is not the fault of the program or the school, it is Embree's choice. Plenty of us around here still respect and like Embree for what he did as a Buff player and wish the best for him as long as he isn't our coach.

Back