1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We Should Hve Known Hawk Was An Idiot Based On The Kai Maiava Situation

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by InTheBuff, Nov 4, 2009.

1. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

We Should Hve Known Hawk Was An Idot Based On The Kai Maiava Situation

Looking back on it- Kai starts on the O Line and looks impressive his first year only to be asked to become a ****ing fullback :sad1::sad2:

This situation raised all kinds of red flags and we all looked past it :keule:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. cu2x

cu2x Club Member Club Member

totally agree

I thought that was a clear indication that DH thought he was smarter than evreybody else and that a kid's future meant less to him then the chance to grandstand

3. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

the spelling in the title is wrong

4. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Well I said the staff was a high school staff after they lost in 2006 to CSU in one of my classic rants.. Too bad that I was actually right about them then as we can clearly see now.. :sad1:

5. CaliBuff901

CaliBuff901 Active Member

Now he is the STARTING Center at UCLA... awesome

6. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

I don't mind giving players a chance to cross-train.

7. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

There is a difference between giving a kid a chance to "cross-train" and forcing a kid into a position change against his will that will drive him out of the program....

8. key west buph

key west buph Member

:wow:

9. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

Dallas, your sig-photo is sort of the cross-training I'm seeing with Hawkins' program. I wish I could laugh at it...

10. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

None of know the truth about that transfer but I was openly skeptical of the attempt to move him when he played so well. Ive never loved Hawkins because I thought Butch Davis should have at least gotten a phone call. This transfer was the first of a string of transfers that really started causing me doubt with Hawkins.

11. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

yeah, well OL has been our strength since then. :stab myself in the face smiley:

12. buffsfan01

buffsfan01 Member

hawky never had me fooled i seen the red flags and i got alot red out of it ...why the hell be a full back means 2 plays a game tops..goodluck to all the former buffs calling ucla the team now

13. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

Who, according to reports I have seen still has problem in pass protection.

14. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Sounds like he'd fit in around here then? Our interior line play has been a joke ever since he left, a coincidence it is not.

15. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

The most brilliant part of that move is that this offense uses a fullback about 5 plays a year.

Not only was it a ridiculous change, but one that pretty much guaranteed he'd never see the field even if he picked up the position instantly.... :bang:

16. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Which is just yet another indictment against the coaching staff. They don't seem to know what on earth they want to do on offense. One year it's the spread. Others it's the power I with a guard turned FB. This year it's a power running game, but without a FB? 4 I-form plays a game. They just don't seem know what they want to do.

17. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

I have tickets, he hasnt looked great, BUT he's looked better than some of what we have fielded.

18. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

We have a fullback? Who knew? Our oline is terrible, in terms of their play and how they are coached. Hell, THansen is running ****ing track out there. He sure as hell isnt playing qb, he dont have time to.

19. pwbuffan

pwbuffan Member

I would take him over our current walkon center any day.

20. Buffocrat

Buffocrat Member

Felt like a great idea at the time. Looked like the BCS2010 plan to me. With all the offensive linemen being brought in, getting Scott, Polk, and Deehan to come in...you put together a plan to build up the ultimate power run game with 5 healthy and experienced offensive lineman, a balance blocking/receiving tight end, and a punishing former offensive lineman coming out the backfield leading the way for Scott and Polk. You then have an extra lineman to block, if desired when going play action. That would be an offense that could compete for the Big 12 title. That's what I thought the plan was and then they came out that Spring doing some version of the Spread and Kai on the bench.

Don't know what the off the field issues were, but he probably would have gone along with the idea if the FB position was going to be utilized like it has been for decades in football.

21. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

It was still stupid. The kid was gamer and played with huge heart and passion. I watched him man handle the OU defense. He should never have been moved. Thats all on Hawkins.

22. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

With ya on that one. He can do something that none of our current olinemen can do, get a push in the running game.

23. Buffocrat

Buffocrat Member

I watched him manhandle OU too...but then he got manhandled a few times later in the season as well. He was great at getting under the pads of any 6-3 and up dlinemen, but let it be one of those six foot fireplugs and there were problems.

Again, if they were going to move to a power run game and with the number of linemen that were coming in, it looked like a good move......at the time. Let the new breeds block the bigguns and put him in space and humiliate AA linebackers and safeties.

And yes, this is on Hawkins.

24. SoCal Bob

SoCal Bob Member

The move to fullback was just a cover story him to save face.

He was out of here before that for a very specific violation of team rules, twice.

25. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Good thing we still have the integrity of the team rules to keep us satisfied while the rest of the program falls apart all around us.

26. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Re: The move to fullback was just a cover story him to save face.

thats news to me. still sucks tho.

27. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh mods, he called him an idiot! And you're leaving it here? Hmmm, interesting

28. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

The mantra here was that hawk was a coach and knows more than us fans about who should play where. My how the air has changed, take a whiff, smells like poo.

29. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

30. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It was as much a Grimes mistake (if not more) as a Hawkins mistake. Grimes did not think that Kai was a good enough offensive lineman. Regardless, there were other issues with Kai and it's very likely he was gone no matter what.

Edit: Just trying to be even handed here. I agree that, bottom line, we'd be a better team this year if we had Kai at Center over Stevens or Iltis.