1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We should put up some points on offense (finally)

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Hansen, Speedy, Tony Jones, Richardson, and Slavin all looked good to me. I really think we are going to see a good offense on the field this year.

The defense? Hard to tell with some of the injuries, but it appears we have some issues in the secondary. We seemed lost back there way too much. On the bright side, Obi stood out.

The special teams are still off. If Castor is the kicker come Sept. 3, no bueno.

2. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

D looked extremely inconsistent. At times they looked like a brick wall, others like swiss cheese. If the Line can play consistently good, we have a good chance this season. The CB's had the same issues. Sometimes glued to the receiver, sometimes they had no clue. Whoever picked off burnette's throw jumped that route perfectly though.

3. Buffellow85

Buffellow85 Well-Known Member

How did the offensive line look?

4. Shldr2Shldr

some plays they opened up big enough holes for a tank. Other wise decent play. Only QB to get sacked was burnette. The other 2 had plenty of time to get their throws off.

5. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

PRich is going to be sick this year. He's just filthy out there. And Hansen was putting the ball on the money. Secondary was bad, though.

6. Duff Man

I should add Nick Hirschman is starting to get it. He looked pretty good tonight, although still a bit shaky coming from under center at times.

Burnette is just not very good.

7. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

There's potential, but no guarantees....biggest bright spots on O i thought were the Tight End play, RB play (Tony Jones & Josh Ford looked real good) and Nick Hirschman

But I honestly thought the first team O and Tyler Hansen particularly didn't look very good at all today....WR play or lack there of after the first 2 guys could really hurt this team, Clemons or P Rich go down (like Clemons was today) and we are in BIG trouble

8. Duff Man

He makes it look effortless out there. I expect a huge season from him.

9. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

No one has mentioned Josh Ford. He was the best player on the field tonight.

10. Shldr2Shldr

agree 100%. We need the WR's coming in to step up big time. I dont think TH got a lot of opportunity today. Seemed like the coaches saw what they wanted, didnt want him to get hurt, and decided to see who the back up was going to be. NH is picking it up finally. It will be nice to have a back up thats capable. O line looks good. RB looks really good.

11. Duff Man

Exactly. I would not worry too much about the first team offense, but depth is an issue.

12. Shldr2Shldr

BTW great to see Tui so upset on the sideline tonight when the O would bust off a big run. That fire has been missing in the D. After seeing the D tonight I am not as worried as I thought I was going to be. They should some flashes, the light is starting to come on. There were too many individual plays instead of all the players working with each other. Its getting there, with a little more time I think we will be ok on D.

ST was struggling early. But at half grossnickle came out and during warmups and booted a punt probably 45-50 yards. Castor started drilling FG's from 40-51 yards out. The light is starting come on for these guys too. They need to keep up with practice this summer but if Castor can be as automatic as he was in the second "half" from that range, we will be in great shape. Coverage seemed to swarm very well on the punt. Speedy had no where to go when he caught it.

Offense had some issues early but started clicking. This will be a very good unit for us this season if the 1st string stays healthy. We will need the second string guys to step it up significantly. Ford was outstanding tonight, so was Jones. Our RB position seems to be locked down this year. We have some great talent there (EB has to be happy).

My overall impression was that the team is starting to get it. The players, if they don't have the light on right now, are almost there. Between now and fall I can only see more players on this team understanding whats going on and how to play the way they need to. I am very excited about the potential of this team.

13. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

How about that move canty poot on that wr screen

14. Shldr2Shldr

that was impressive. If he can do that to other corners besides ours I will be more impressed.

15. Duff Man

You can't call Castor anything other than inconsistent right now. I still have major questions that he can be the right guy for the job when the pressure is truly on. Was hard to tell much about Grossnickle tonight. The one kick in live action went about 35 yards, which is part of the reason the coverage seemed to swarm so well.

16. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

It was Speedy who returned the one punt. I wonder if that's something we'll see during the season.

17. Shldr2Shldr

It at least went high enough to give them an opportunity to get there. It wasn't a terrible punt just not the kind of distance we need. Castor was awful in the beginning but I think he relaxed some and came out in the second half and he did start drilling them from some crazy distances. He needs to eliminate the first half issues and kick like he did in the second half all the time.

18. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Who is ford again?

19. Shldr2Shldr

our third string RB

20. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Fr?

21. Shldr2Shldr

uhh I think he red shirted last year but I could be totally wrong on that

22. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Kid from Mullen (I think) who originally signed with Kjuco, then came back and walked-on here last year.

23. Shldr2Shldr

yep just read that. he is a sophomore

24. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Let's not forget Clemons. Everyone talks P-rich but clemons is pretty damn good too.

25. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I know it is related to the D, but damn does Obi pass the eye test. The kid is a freaking monster.