What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We won DESPITE Hawkins...

As I posted on the "other board", it looks to me that Hawkins was extra smug last night post game and having Mitsi there with him seemed to be another signal that all is well for the Hawkins family. I don't think they need to worry about packing up and hitting the road.

He feels totally fine with what he's doing, feels all his work is paying off and I believe he knows that since he's met the criteria set for him by the CU admin. he is totally safe from being let go. A few wins goes a long way because the admin. is satisfied with a "controlled" program and doesn't feel the need for a great program. So why should they rock their boat trying to find another, top coach? The fans are so happy they run on the field after a win over a weak team, they support the fun filled Friday night Buff Stampedes and they love their Folsom Field so much that they will keep paying those ticket prices even if the team doesn't improve.

Hawk has made it over the hump and so has Bohn. Neither is going anywhere.

Gate, you are way too far away from the program to know that. We in Colorado don't even know that.

I bet you have great parenting skills. :lol:

What the **** does parenting skills have to do with going for two and kicking 50 yard field goals with bad kickers? You do realize you and Hawk think alike, don't you?

Gate, you are way too far away from the program to know that. We in Colorado don't even know that.

Sometimes seeing the forest through the trees is easier the farther away you are. While I won't putt money on it, I'm pretty good at reading people...and those two said a lot in that post game clip.

"What me worry?"....no way.

P.S. correction...Misti, not Mitsi.

What the **** does parenting skills have to do with going for two and kicking 50 yard field goals with bad kickers? You do realize you and Hawk think alike, don't you?

Remind me to come back and use this as my signature quote in about a week, when I'm done with my current ode to Georgia.

Many people here need to be saved....

Thanks Buddy.

Jesus-1.jpg

And DBT has taken it upon himself to smite the unbelievers. Follow DBT, or be Damned to heck!

The missouri game will be interesting. If cu goes out there and they lose like they did at CAL, it's back to square one, if they lose close it's another road loss added to hawk's atrocious record on the road. Win..his stock for staying rises...sigh

If Hawkins doesn't start winning, he's gone. I say 8 wins saves his job.

Yep. We've had big wins in the past, only to see them turn to ash as we follow it up with ****. Bohn has receive too much heat to keep this guy around, unless he gets up to 8 wins. That could happen, but i still don't think this team has a clue on the road.

The problem with this board is everyone is so pissed off about Hawkins for what he's done over his tenure that you all are becoming too cynical and blind to actual recognize some good things that happened last night....kind of disgusting reading all of these comments from people who claim to be "football experts"

In no way am I an expert at anything...but this team played very well, had very few penalties, the play calling and offensive game plan was the best I've seen in 4 years...yes, there were a few suspect decisions, mainly the 52 yd field goal (heck, I turned away & didn't even watch the kick cuz I knew the outcome already), but all in all, as my original post noted, this was probably the best coached game I've seen from Hawk in a long time (maybe in his entire tenure)....doesn't mean he's a good coach or has saved his job....but we need game planning like this each and every week

The problem with this board is everyone is so pissed off about Hawkins for what he's done over his tenure that you all are becoming too cynical and blind to actual recognize some good things that happened last night....kind of disgusting reading all of these comments from people who claim to be "football experts"

In no way am I an expert at anything...but this team played very well, had very few penalties, the play calling and offensive game plan was the best I've seen in 4 years...yes, there were a few suspect decisions, mainly the 52 yd field goal (heck, I turned away & didn't even watch the kick cuz I knew the outcome already), but all in all, as my original post noted, this was probably the best coached game I've seen from Hawk in a long time (maybe in his entire tenure)....doesn't mean he's a good coach or has saved his job....but we need game planning like this each and every week

Trouble is we have seen it before. . . .

Georgia his first year, the OU win, the WVU win, the solid effort at Texas. All gave us reason to believe that the corner had been turned and we were on our way. All were followed by a return to disorganized inneptetude and losing games we had no business losing.

Don't get me wrong, Hawk goes out and wins 9 games this year and we have a good showing in a decent bowl I will be glad to admit I was wrong and wish him good luck in the following year. I wouldn't even get upset about an extension (as long as it didn't have a ridiculous buy-out like the current one does.)

Based on four+ years of experience I am not worried about what flavor hot sauce I will need when I eat my words however.

Here I'll list good things Hawk did last night to go with the aforementioned awful calls:

Team played with discipline, few penalties and only one unfortunate turnover.

Gameplan was solid and they stuck with the running game.

Came out of the gate fast.

Overcame adversity when they were down 24-14 at the start of the 2nd half.

Brought a couple of good recruits to the game.

Yes, a few odd decisions, but ultimately this was the best coached team and game I've seen in the Dan Hawkins Era...Team came out with energy, played 4 quarters of quality football, had a plan on offense and particular plays that worked tremendously well

The fact that what other coaches would consider the bare minimum standard for their team on a weekly basis is "the best coached team and game... in the Dan Hawkins era" is probably something worth remembering...

The fact that what other coaches would consider the bare minimum standard for their team on a weekly basis is "the best coached team and game... in the Dan Hawkins era" is probably something worth remembering...

Which is the even more "telling" part of my assessment....my point being...last night was one of, if not the best coached game I've seen during the Hawk era...I'm not going to criticize much from last nights victory because I saw a lot of things that were VERY good

BUT...needing a last second fumble to beat a very down Georgia Squad when every intangible you could think of in the world is working for you (blackout game, National TV, 1990 team there, big crowd....) and THIS is the best I've seen from Hawk tells you all you need to know....I wish we could see this "bare minimum" every week, but unfortunately we haven't so I'll give praise when its earned and blindly hope for the best going forward

I acknowledge this was a good win for the program, team, and gaining some momentum going to columbia next week. However, when I saw the short post game interview on channel 4 this morning with Talkins I wanted to punch his lights out!! Making a statement that "the kids are doing all the right things, staying out of trouble and going to class" was totally stupid!!! I have to ask myself, was Talkins making dumbass statements to the press / public like this when he was at Boise? Does he just blurt this s*it out without thinking about what he is going to say first? The guy needs some kind of PR intervention. If the Buffs save his ass with a decent season this year, I hope Bohn only offers him a year to year contract for the rest of his tenure at CU. Although Talkins would never accept that kind of an offer. Which means we would get a new HC coach

I acknowledge this was a good win for the program, team, and gaining some momentum going to columbia next week. However, when I saw the short post game interview on channel 4 this morning with Talkins I wanted to punch his lights out!! Making a statement that "the kids are doing all the right things, staying out of trouble and going to class" was totally stupid!!! I have to ask myself, was Talkins making dumbass statements to the press / public like this when he was at Boise? Does he just blurt this s*it out without thinking about what he is going to say first? The guy needs some kind of PR intervention. If the Buffs save his ass with a decent season this year, I hope Bohn only offers him a year to year contract for the rest of his tenure at CU. Although Talkins would never accept that kind of an offer.

Nor would it be good for recruiting. Whoever we end up with--Hawk or otherwise--the administration needs to throw some confidence behind them.

I acknowledge this was a good win for the program, team, and gaining some momentum going to columbia next week. However, when I saw the short post game interview on channel 4 this morning with Talkins I wanted to punch his lights out!! Making a statement that "the kids are doing all the right things, staying out of trouble and going to class" was totally stupid!!! I have to ask myself, was Talkins making dumbass statements to the press / public like this when he was at Boise? Does he just blurt this s*it out without thinking about what he is going to say first? The guy needs some kind of PR intervention. If the Buffs save his ass with a decent season this year, I hope Bohn only offers him a year to year contract for the rest of his tenure at CU. Although Talkins would never accept that kind of an offer. Which means we would get a new HC coach

He's sticking to the script and saying all the right things and throws a win to the fans every now and then...and that's why he's not going anywhere.

What I took out of this game is Georgia is bad at football this year. Murray has some accuracy issues, granted he is young. AJ Green is a helluva player, but he missed a significant amount of time. They were mistake-ridden the whole game. They have some athletes and are in the SEC, but so is Mississippi State (who beat them if you don't remember).
I'm glad we won, but we've seen this before (though the excitement usually comes after beating ranked teams, not those that are 1-4). This is the most talented team Hawk has had, but I fully expect to lose to Mizzou, hopefully it isn't in Cal style.

He's sticking to the script and saying all the right things and throws a win to the fans every now and then...and that's why he's not going anywhere.

well... u mean he isn't going anywhere because he is in "zen" He sure wont be living in Boulder next year.

i find your "read" of hawkins and his wife in the post-game interview very interesting. i am not saying for sure you are wrong, but i too feel like i read people pretty well and i totally read him and his wife differently than you did. i think he was going through the motions, trying to justify himself and his methods, without really believing it will be enough to save his arse. his wife wouldn't even look up. i think they know they are done, but he's being a professional to the extent he can. he knows it will take a miracle to save him.

that's my read of the exact same interview--- pretty funny the 180 degree difference. who knows? i guess we will see...

I would have blamed Hawkins if we had lost last night no matter how the loss happened. It's only fair that I credit him for the win. He's the leader and his squad won. And it's not like we overwhelmed Georgia with our talent.

Organizations don't rise above the level of their leadership, so I call bull**** on saying that a team ever wins against a more athletically gifted team despite its coach.
The thing I want to watch for the rest of the season is this. Was the fire of the players that we finally saw for the whole game due to hawk, or to the 1990 team and the talks form AW, Coach Mac, and others? If they come out flat against MU and form then on, then I will attibute this win to the firey speakers we had this week. IF they stay looking like this, then-- I don't know. I thought they would look like this two years ago. They look so much better-- let's see how we stack up agianst NU OU and BU.

Yeah. How dare him!!!

I hated his post game interview as well. What a bunch of holier than thou crap. I found that my ire even took some of the fun out of the great end to the game. Now I wonder if we will ever let this guy off the mat even if he does manage somehow to actually turn things around.

So bizarre. I am so happy we won and hope they manage to keep it up and yet I still remain absolutely convinced that this guy can't coach a lick. Prove us wrong dan.

That sums up my feelings perfectly as well.

If Hawkins doesn't start winning, he's gone. I say 8 wins saves his job.

I made a bet with another CU fan yesterday. He thinks Hawk is gone, no matter what. I said 8+ wins saves his job. Granted, I don't think he gets to 8 under any circumstance, but I don't see any way in hell that he gets fired after winning 8.

Back