What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Webb confirmed starter again

I am going to wave the BS flag here on the OP's comment to start the thread. Dan Hawkins isn't the coach anymore, our staff isn't that stupid.

Gotta be a nasty rumor until proven otherwise.

I hope!

He probably promised webb that he would be the starter if he transferred. He did, and now Embree is being true to his word but is leaving the door open for wood if webb sucks ass again. Duh.

if EMbree promised Webb the job IF he transferred, then Embree is not the man he says he is.

and i don't think Webb had a promise.

we are unthinkably bad this year so far...but i don't JE is living out that promise.

Embo got to be bold, drop Webb. Won't surprise me if Wood starts the game on Saturday.

Last edited:
Given that we understand Wood has a problem with getting tight, this seems to solve two problems at once:
1) you get the flow of the game going before you put out Wood, increasing the opportunity for him to be as relaxed as possible
2) you are not throwing your starter under the bus, shattering his confidence, in case it doesn't work out
I recognize no one (myself included) is going to call any decision by these coaches as a genius move at this point, but I get what they are trying to do here and do not have a problem with it.

Given that we understand Wood has a problem with getting tight, this seems to solve two problems at once:
1) you get the flow of the game going before you put out Wood, increasing the opportunity for him to be as relaxed as possible
2) you are not throwing your starter under the bus, shattering his confidence, in case it doesn't work out
I recognize no one (myself included) is going to call any decision by these coaches as a genius move at this point, but I get what they are trying to do here and do not have a problem with it.
+1. That's the sense I get.

Longtime lurker here. Given what we have seen from Webb, which is to say a quarterback who has had 1 good quarter. I don't see how the coaching staff can stick with the guy. He is horribly inaccurate outside of 10 yards and with what we are gonna see on Saturday I think we may need to complete a couple of throws down the field. Watching him play makes me think of Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow, he seems to have Orton's mobility with Tebow's accuracy not exactly a winning combo.

Is the rumor true that players were disappointed when Webb was chosen the starter over Wood?

I understand the rationale due to the first start on the road factor. I further understand since the odds are fairly good that we are going to get hammered by Fresno. I don't know Wood's mental make up, but an ass kicking could be a little rough in your first start.

However, I am disappointed because I would like to see something different. Frankly I was hoping we would hear about a shakeup coaching-wise.

Reasonable to give him some reps. I'd like a bolder move since we're so horrendously pitiable, but this will give Wood a chance to show what he's got. Probably still gonna lose by 2 TDs or so...

Reading Adam's article over on Rivals, I like this strategy. Don't throw Webb under the bus, but frame it as "Webb's getting beat up, so let's make sure his back-up gets some experience." The subtext is that Wood gets an audition to find out if he's one of those "game day" players. If he tears it up, and Webb is ho-hum again, expect to see Wood the following week as starter.

"I talked to Coach Embree about getting one of the other quarterbacks into the mix, into the game when it is on the line and early in the game in case he has to play down the road," Scherer explained. "We don't want to have to throw another quarterback in there for the first time with no reps, no pressure reps."

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1407771

Last edited:
All we heard from the CU camp was that Webb performed WAY better than Wood. These are the kinds of things that shoot down the CU staff's cred with the fans. :huh:

not really his fault, but I am one for doing anything to inject some fight and hope

Sounds like an ok idea to put him in after a couple series. I only see a couple of problems with this idea. First is that Webb will probably still be getting most or all of the snaps with the 1st team in practice (are they still closed?). This would definitely be setting Wood up for failure. Also I really hope they are doing this for Webbs sake and not Woods. I hope that whomever we have as a starting quarterback is mentally tough enough to start the game. I mean come on...

Reading Adam's article over on Rivals, I like this strategy. Don't throw Webb under the bus, but frame it as "Webb's getting beat up, so let's make sure his back-up gets some experience." The subtext is that Wood gets an audition to find out if he's one of those "game day" players. If he tears it up, and Webb is ho-hum again, expect to see Wood the following week as starter.
http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1407771

It also forces Fresno State to at least have to think about (prepare, even) for two QBs instead of one. We need all of the help we can get at this point.

Come on guys...can't you see this is all a tactic from our brilliant coaching staff:

1. Publicly State Webb will start
2. Publicly State Wood will play
3. Start Hirsh instead on Saturday
4. Totally Fake out Fresno
5. VICTORY!!!!!!! :gobuffs: :cry:

I didnt watch the game on saturday, but following on game tracker I assumed they screwed up. So Wood was in for one play, and got a nice gain. Why was he in, did Weeb get hurt/loose his helmet, or did they just swap them out for a play?

I didnt watch the game on saturday, but following on game tracker I assumed they screwed up. So Wood was in for one play, and got a nice gain. Why was he in, did Weeb get hurt/loose his helmet, or did they just swap them out for a play?
Webb lost helmet. EB called a middle WR screen to Gthomas, and the defense obliged by calling a big blitz. Thomas broke a tackle and went for 28. Shoulda been a TD, but he screwed up.

Finkle at Mizzery used this formula with Chase McBoogers. Finkle have the frosh qb a couple of series each game (2ND quarter usually, iirc).

But there is one big difference -- Finkle had a starting qb who was proficient.

I'm all for trying something new to try to get a win. I hope this doesn't backfire.

Back