What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Webb Onboard

Come on! Webb is the perfect qb for this year because all his experience is on an underdog. He won't crack under the pressure. The guy knows how to score with a less talented offense.
On paper I agree, but I think it's all going to come down to how well he gells with this team. The buffs have transformed into a tight group (Embree's step one) and Webb will be an outsider who didn't slog through hell the last few years like the rest of the team has. Regardless of hist talent and experience, he's going to have to prove he has a buffalo heart to the team first. If he can, I think there's a 50-50 shot he's starting this fall.

Come on! Webb is the perfect qb for this year because all his experience is on an underdog. He won't crack under the pressure. The guy knows how to score with a less talented offense.

Let's not go overboard here. He did not really do "more with less" the last couple seasons at Kansas. Their offense sucked.

Lots of unknowns at the QB position.

On paper I agree, but I think it's all going to come down to how well he gells with this team. The buffs have transformed into a tight group (Embree's step one) and Webb will be an outsider who didn't slog through hell the last few years like the rest of the team has. Regardless of hist talent and experience, he's going to have to prove he has a buffalo heart to the team first. If he can, I think there's a 50-50 shot he's starting this fall.

That's a nice theory, but in reality the 2012 Buffs are looking for immediate contributions from a bunch of incoming players - whether they are transfers or true freshmen the Buffs will need them to perform. As long as the coaching staff is convinced a player is putting in the effort and living up to the expectations of being a Buffalo, I expect that any player will see the field that gives them the best chance to win. The days of warm fuzzies and good feelings in the locker room are over. Really good kids that give 125% and have twinkly eyes and firm handshakes are going to ride the pine because their talent level doesn't measure up.
So if Webb shows up and spends all his time getting up to speed with the offense and putting himself in a position to earn the position, (which I would think he would need to do to be a better option that our current QBs), then I would expect Embree to give him the nod even if he is still considered an outsider by some members of the team.

If Webb starts, it means that Wood couldn't beat him out. If Wood, a guy who was able to practice with the team all last year, go through spring drills as the #1 QB, and heads into fall camp as the #1 guy, suddenly gets supplanted by a guy who just showed up, I'm going to jump off a bridge.

Yes, but while Wood was practicing with the scout team, Webb was playing in the Big 12. Webb was not a crappy recruit either. #28 pro style qb by Rivals.com . Its hard for me to imagine beating out a guy who has two full seasons of experience to my zero college games. You can't fake experience. Wood has got to be a little intimidated by this. Unless he really is an astonishing talent, I expect Webb to lead the team.

Yes, but while Wood was practicing with the scout team, Webb was playing in the Big 12. Webb was not a crappy recruit either. #28 pro style qb by Rivals.com . Its hard for me to imagine beating out a guy who has two full seasons of experience to my zero college games. You can't fake experience. Wood has got to be a little intimidated by this. Unless he really is an astonishing talent, I expect Webb to lead the team.
Wow two facepalm's for the same poster in one thread. Spectacular.

:faceplam:

Ultimately I think Wood will start come fall, Embo doesn't want Wood to get too comfortable.

If Webb starts, it means that Wood couldn't beat him out. If Wood, a guy who was able to practice with the team all last year, go through spring drills as the #1 QB, and heads into fall camp as the #1 guy, suddenly gets supplanted by a guy who just showed up, I'm going to jump off a bridge.

if you do, in fact, decide to leap, at least do us the courtesy of wearing an allbuffs t-shirt or something.

there is no such thing as bad publicity.

if you do, in fact, decide to leap, at least do us the courtesy of wearing an allbuffs t-shirt or something.

there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Meh - there are some pretty short bridges around here. The fall probably wouldn't make the local newspaper, much less the local broadcast stations.

You expected Wood to seize it in the Spring? Thought it was pretty clear that Embree was going to keep to his promise of giving Dillon a shot at starting and thus, not announcing a starter and then combine that with Hirsh being hurt, what did you expect?

No I did not expect him to seize the Spring ( I have no idea how someone could even do that) - but the coaches expected him to separate himself from the other candidates especially since he had a majority of the reps. He failed to do that, he had some good moments but he also looked very average at times. I did not say that Embree was going to close off the competition nor did I say anything about a starter being named - but Wood did not do enough to be named the started with or without Dillion coming to Boulder. The coaches are the ones who are disappointed that he did not look more like a 4 star recruit.

No I did not expect him to seize the Spring ( I have no idea how someone could even do that) - but the coaches expected him to separate himself from the other candidates especially since he had a majority of the reps. He failed to do that, he had some good moments but he also looked very average at times. I did not say that Embree was going to close off the competition nor did I say anything about a starter being named - but Wood did not do enough to be named the started with or without Dillion coming to Boulder. The coaches are the ones who are disappointed that he did not look more like a 4 star recruit.
What are you basing this off of seeing as how Spring practices were closed?

B
Wow two facepalm's for the same poster in one thread. Spectacular.

:faceplam:

You wouldnt be intimidated by a player who has started 20 Big 12 games at qb when you haven't played 2 minutes of a college football game? Wood hasn't taken one hit in a game. He hasn't earned his stripes. Webb has actually led a team of men against real opponents for two years. Wood has practiced with the scout team for two years. Wood is looking up at Webb right now. I believe Webb is also two years older.

B

You wouldnt be intimidated by a player who has started 20 Big 12 games at qb when you haven't played 2 minutes of a college football game? Wood hasn't taken one hit in a game. He hasn't earned his stripes. Webb has actually led a team of men against real opponents for two years. Wood has practiced with the scout team for two years. Wood is looking up at Webb right now. I believe Webb is also two years older.

No

Woah. You must not think much of Wood at all if you think he is truly intimidated by Webb.

B

Tini is right here. The answer is no, unless we completely wasted a scholarship on Wood, which I doubt. The KU teams Webb started for sucked. I mean REALLY sucked. Great to have him as a back-up so we can redshirt Dillon, but if he is starting...uh-oh.

Also - what gives you the idea that these college kids are "men?" I'm approaching thirty and am having a tough time meeting the expectation of what a "man" is in my mind. Webb lead a bunch of kids, IMO.

Nothing like taking KU's discarded players. Kansas rattled off 10 straight losses last year, so if we start Webb next year we might not win more than 2 games.

Tini is right here...... The KU teams Webb started for sucked. I mean REALLY sucked. Great to have him as a back-up so we can redshirt Dillon, but if he is starting...uh-oh.

I don't thing Embree is bringing in Webb to be a backup. I think they believe Webb can be a pretty decent QB, and at least compete for PT.

To judge his potential based on "KU teams sucked" would be pretty shortsighted. Most KU fans actually state he was decent, but on a bad team without good pass blocking and without any threats at WR (he will feel at home at CU).

I don't think it's an indictment of Wood either. But it's probably not an endorsement. Webb is looking to start somewhere and if in fact he's coming to CU, he's been told by CU coaches (who are not loaded with scholarships) that he has a chance here.

What I've said from the beginning is that Wood has yet to show how he handles pressure in the pocket. Live bullets can change how a QB looks very quickly. Wood didn't see those in the spring either. I've thought it has been pretty funny how everyone thinks we have a top QB in place, when he hasn't taken a live snap.

I don't know what kind of coaching Webb has had. He's obviously pretty bright. He's also pretty athletic and tough as nails based on film I've watched. Combine that with some Rip coaching and who knows?

I trust the coaches brought him in here for a reason and if he ends up starting, that does NOT:

1. make me want to jump off a bridge
2. mean we wasted a scholarship on Wood (you need 2, and I'm not sure we have those 2 as of today)
3. mean we will lose games the way KU did.

Frankly, if Webb is coming here, I'd put him firmly in the mix to win the job. Kid's KU tape is at least as impressive as Wood's HS tape, which is all we got to go on...

I don't thing Embree is bringing in Webb to be a backup. I think they believe Webb can be a pretty decent QB, and at least compete for PT.

To judge his potential based on "KU teams sucked" would be pretty shortsighted. Most KU fans actually state he was decent, but on a bad team without good pass blocking and without any threats at WR (he will feel at home at CU).

I don't think it's an indictment of Wood either. But it's probably not an endorsement. Webb is looking to start somewhere and if in fact he's coming to CU, he's been told by CU coaches (who are not loaded with scholarships) that he has a chance here.

What I've said from the beginning is that Wood has yet to show how he handles pressure in the pocket. Live bullets can change how a QB looks very quickly. Wood didn't see those in the spring either. I've thought it has been pretty funny how everyone thinks we have a top QB in place, when he hasn't taken a live snap.

I don't know what kind of coaching Webb has had. He's obviously pretty bright. He's also pretty athletic and tough as nails based on film I've watched. Combine that with some Rip coaching and who knows?

I trust the coaches brought him in here for a reason and if he ends up starting, that does NOT:

1. make me want to jump off a bridge
2. mean we wasted a scholarship on Wood (you need 2, and I'm not sure we have those 2 as of today)
3. mean we will lose games the way KU did.

Frankly, if Webb is coming here, I'd put him firmly in the mix to win the job. Kid's KU tape is at least as impressive as Wood's HS tape, which is all we got to go on...

The bolded portion of your quote is what troubles me about Webb. Experience alone is not necessarily a desirable trait; Cody Hawkins had years of college experience as well, but nobody would be clamoring for him to get the starting nod if he were still around. The truth of the matter is that we have seen what Webb can do with a questionable offensive line and receiving corps, and it has not been pretty. If our offensive line turns out to be vastly improved and/or if the receiving corps exceeds expectations, Webb very well could look pretty good. Of course, if we have those things a lot of QBs can look pretty good. I'm hopeful that Webb will be a very good insurance policy for the team. That being said, if he wins the starting job then I'll assume it means that he earned it and will cheer for his success.

As the great John McKay once said, "If you have everyone back from a team that lost ten games, experience isn't too important."

These last two arguments would suggest that KU should have gotten rid of Webb and kept their inept coaching staff.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The kid played good, on a bad team, not great, but better than I would have expected. Cody played poorly on a bad team. Webb will remind nobody of Cody Hawkins on tape.

There are good players hidden on bad teams all the time. I was really surprised in watching the tape that this kid was pretty good, and his protection was awful.

Live bullets. He's seen them. We will see this fall but I urge you not to disrespect this kid. He looked pretty good.

These last two arguments would suggest that KU should have gotten rid of Webb and kept their inept coaching staff.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The kid played good, on a bad team, not great, but better than I would have expected. Cody played poorly on a bad team. Webb will remind nobody of Cody Hawkins on tape.

There are good players hidden on bad teams all the time. I was really surprised in watching the tape that this kid was pretty good, and his protection was awful.

Live bullets. He's seen them. We will see this fall but I urge you not to disrespect this kid. He looked pretty good.
When you actually look at his stats game by game his stats are horrid, protection be damned. I'll be very worried if he starts on September whatever day the game is on.

I'll admit that I haven't had/taken the time to analyze this guy's game tape, so your opinion of him may have some more credibility. However, the little bit of tape that I have seen from him has not left me feeling as confident as you seem to be that he's the superstar who got a raw deal and was a victim of the lack of talent around him. Again though, my two cents have no bearing on who'll end up starting. This guy is coming in with the mindset that he wants to be the starter and he is going to give it a run. Competition at all positions is what this team needs.

I guess I can understand skepticism about Webb. But, I can't understand having more confidence in Connor Wood. That makes no sense. He was the 4th stringer on a bad Texas team and hasn't taken one snap in a college football game! Is it his recruiting ranking that has people believing?

I guess I can understand skepticism about Webb. But, I can't understand having more confidence in Connor Wood. That makes no sense. He was the 4th stringer on a bad Texas team and hasn't taken one snap in a college football game! Is it his recruiting ranking that has people believing?
It's been well discussed and you obviously do not understand the Mack Brown way of QBing.

Back