What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Webb Onboard

Wood is a complete unknown with no body of work, so people can project their hopes onto a blank resume. Webb has two years of games showing that he is not Andrew Luck. But, we can all pretend Wood is Andrew Luck until the season starts.

It's been well discussed and you obviously do not understand the Mack Brown way of QBing.

Please. Mac Brown has a record of success. He is one of the highest paid coaches in football. He wants to win games. He evaluated wood as the 4th string guy. Sounds pretty desperate to claim there was a conspiracy against connor wood.

Please. Mac Brown has a record of success. He is one of the highest paid coaches in football. He wants to win games. He evaluated wood as the 4th string guy. Sounds pretty desperate to claim there was a conspiracy against connor wood.
Oh look the third facepalm in one thread. I refer you to the 2001 Big 12 title game and Garret Gilbert.

Uh, I refer you to the 2005 National Championship game vs. USC. Brown went with a guy named Vince Young. Maybe you heard of him.

So, you do a facepalm smiley every time somebody makes your argument look stupid?
images

So, "lollerskates" is how you say "yes" ?
No it's my way of laughing at you without putting a facepalm in there.

Vince Young is one of the best QB's in college football of all time and is in no way what-so-ever an indication of Mack Brown's QB identifying ability because there is not a single school in the country he would not have started at. Texass fans, who ****ing hate CU and we return the favor, said that Wood got screwed at Texass. Brown plays politics down there, and it's no secret.

Wood is a complete unknown with no body of work, so people can project their hopes onto a blank resume. Webb has two years of games showing that he is not Andrew Luck. But, we can all pretend Wood is Andrew Luck until the season starts.

Lulz. This is your argument? Someone with no experience is obviously worse than someone who has historically performed at (being generous) or below average? Solid argument, bro. Here's a recommendation: don't become a lawyer.

It's been well discussed and you obviously do not understand the Mack Brown way of QBing.

please just stop with this speculation. Because a few guys on allbuffs came to the conclusion, it does not make it a fact. The bottom line is none of us have any personal insight to the decision made by Mack Brown and while some very intelligent people made an interesting observation, you can't start repeating it as a fact. The bottom line is that Wood was near/at the bottom of the depth chart at Texas for a variety of factors. You can speculate all you want that the guys in front of him are more talented, or might be better "practice" or that Mack Brown has a strange way of QB'ing, but that will never make it a fact and you will never see the entire picture of what happened with Wood at Texas.

I think all we know is that Embree liked Wood enough to offer him a scholarship and he also like Webb enough to offer him one as well. If it shows a lack of confidence in Wood or an infatuation with Webb, we will probably never know.

There really shouldn't be much of an argument here. We are bringing in a guy with experience which we sorely lack. Furthermore, from what I have read, he can scramble. With our offensive line, I'd say experience and scramble ability are pretty big positives.

I tend to think Webb will end up the starter (pure speculation). However, even if it is Wood or Dillon, at least we have someone with experience to back them up. We all know that in most seasons you need more than one QB.

I think I'll just look at this situation with my simplicity-sunglasses in place.

Wood was a highly recruited hs qb. He tried at uTerus but remained buried deep on the depth chart. Coach MackieB didn't seem to concerned when he transferred.

Webb played some D1 ball at a quazi-D1 school (football-wise, that is). His services were no longer wanted when Charlie Tuna arrived. He transferred.

The CU coaching staff wanted both Webb and Wood. Both players are now in Black-n-Gold. Let the competition begin.

There really shouldn't be much of an argument here. We are bringing in a guy with experience which we sorely lack. Furthermore, from what I have read, he can scramble. With our offensive line, I'd say experience and scramble ability are pretty big positives.

I tend to think Webb will end up the starter (pure speculation). However, even if it is Wood or Dillon, at least we have someone with experience to back them up. We all know that in most seasons you need more than one QB.

If it's Dillon, I'll jump off a much higher bridge. Nothing against the kid, but if we are going into a season with a true freshman under center, we're in for a miserable season. I have high hopes for Dillon, and think he'll be great here, just not next year.

This thread has me very concerned for Sacky's well being...all this bridge jumping talk is making me nervous.

This thread has me very concerned for Sacky's well being...all this bridge jumping talk is making me nervous.

longmont does not have any bridges. well, no tall ones anyway. he'll just brake an ankle at worst. then sue the city. :smile2:

longmont does not have any bridges. well, no tall ones anyway. he'll just brake an ankle at worst. then sue the city. :smile2:

This.

No tall bridges in Longmont. I'll be OK. However, if Dillon is the starter, I may have to go find a bridge in Loveland to jump off.

If it's Dillon, I'll jump off a much higher bridge. Nothing against the kid, but if we are going into a season with a true freshman under center, we're in for a miserable season. I have high hopes for Dillon, and think he'll be great here, just not next year.

I agree. I just put Dillon in there since he was told he would get a shot (I guess I should have put Shrock, Hirsh and Dorman in there to be complete). A true freshman QB sounds like a disaster to me.

please just stop with this speculation. Because a few guys on allbuffs came to the conclusion, it does not make it a fact. The bottom line is none of us have any personal insight to the decision made by Mack Brown and while some very intelligent people made an interesting observation, you can't start repeating it as a fact. The bottom line is that Wood was near/at the bottom of the depth chart at Texas for a variety of factors. You can speculate all you want that the guys in front of him are more talented, or might be better "practice" or that Mack Brown has a strange way of QB'ing, but that will never make it a fact and you will never see the entire picture of what happened with Wood at Texas.

I think all we know is that Embree liked Wood enough to offer him a scholarship and he also like Webb enough to offer him one as well. If it shows a lack of confidence in Wood or an infatuation with Webb, we will probably never know.

If Connor is worse than Garrett Gilbert we are beyond ****ed, who started for Texass before being replaced McCoy junior, whose brother might as well be a god down there. Texass fans seemed pretty confident that Connor got screwed down there and that Mack was playing politics with the QB's.

this has devolved into stoooooooooooooooopidity and madness.

essence of current argument in this thread: which qb who has never started a game for CU and each of which has some clear effing question marks will be most likely to immediately play like an all-american for CU?

candidates:

a transfer from effing kansas. kansas. he played ok, but really does that tell us anything meaningful? past performance is no guarantee of future success.
a transfer from effing texass who was buried so far on the depth chart that he couldn't see the game from his spot on the bench.
a legacy walk-on grandson kid with apparently modest physical skills.
a former walk-on who took like 2 snaps for us last year and who is hurt. again.
a true frosh.

let the debate continue!

You expected Wood to seize it in the Spring? Thought it was pretty clear that Embree was going to keep to his promise of giving Dillon a shot at starting and thus, not announcing a starter and then combine that with Hirsh being hurt, what did you expect?

I must be doing it wrong. I seize my wood pretty much year round.

Back