What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wednesday CU Buff Bites - Football's Senior Day approaches; Tough day for Buffs Baske

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Ash Jackson

colorado_logo.png
CU Buffs seniors savor Folsom memories - Boulder Daily Camera

When asked to relive a favorite moment on Folsom Field, every Colorado football player has a different story to tell as the end of his senior season draws near. For some it`s a win, others cite a tackle or a touchdown. Some point to a laugh shared with, or at the expense of, a teammate. The 15 seniors on this year`s team who will play their final home game Saturday afternoon (12:10 p.m. no television) against Kansas State are no different. Well, maybe linebacker B.J. Beatty is an unusual case. He points to a moment earlier this season when he swears he was about to have a heart attack as the most special point of his career beneath the Flatirons. Beatty forced a fumble at the end of the Georgia game Oct. 2 and fellow linebacker Jon Major recovered it in CU territory, preventing a game-winning field goal attempt and sealing the Buffs` victory.

Smith struggled to recall his favorite moment at Folsom, not because it escaped him but because there were so many from which to chose. "I think one of my favorite moments is seeing people do the chest bump and fall on our team," he said. "Once coach Hawk got chest-bumped and cut his nose. That was funny. I think every time Jalil slips and falls on the field and we come back to the sideline I think that`s hilarious because he just falls. I think he is the clumsiest person ever. There are just so many funny moments on Folsom.

"As far as memorable moments, I think I will never forget my first touchdown (2007 against Nebraska). It was just picture perfect for me. And the moment we beat Oklahoma. Actually, I take that back. Iowa State, goal-line stand, 2008. That was like second top memorable moment."

colorado_logo.png
Clutch Free Throws Put Denver Over Colorado - CUBuffs.com

Denver's Britteni Rice made nine of her 19 points from the free-throw line, including six in the closing seconds as the Pioneers edged Colorado 70-69 Tuesday night at Magness Arena. Brittany Spears led Colorado (1-1) with 24 points and 10 rebounds, her 23rd career double-double. Meagan Malcolm-Peck had 14 points, five rebounds and three blocks.

colorado_logo.png
Buffs Fight Back But Fall Short At Georgia - CUBuffs.com

CU erased a 17-point first-half deficit, but fell to Georgia 83-74 in Athens on Tuesday night. Alec Burks led all scorers with 23 points, his second straight 20+ game. Colorado came back from a large first-half deficit, however Georgia's Gerald Robinson Jr. scored 21 points as the Bulldogs overcame poor free-throw shooting to edge Colorado 83-74 on Tuesday night.​
colorado_logo.png
Brooks: Cabral's Game 2 Presents New, Different Challenge - CUBuffs.com

Brian Cabral's first weekend on the job as CUs interim head coach was a rousing success. Now comes the hard part - sustaining the Buffs' overall energy through what he defined last week as a season within a season.​
colorado_logo.png
Cabral says Buffs won't sneak up on Wildcats - Boulder Daily Camera

Interim Colorado football coach Brian Cabral said the Buffs had the element of surprise on their side in a victory over Iowa State last week and can't expect to "sneak up on Kansas State" in the same fashion this Saturday. Cabral spent a significant portion of his time today speaking about his respect for Bill Snyder, the 71-year-old who returned to take over the Wildcats in 2009 after several years in semi-retirement. Cabral said he doesn't believe there is another coach in the Big 12 Conference who has battled Snyder's teams as often as he has, and nearly two decades worth of those toe-to-toe scraps has taught him what to expect when the Wildcats visit Folsom Field.

Senior left tackle Nate Solder, one of 15 seniors who will bid farewell to the home crowd and their home field this week, said every game he has played in his career against Kansas State has been a brawl. "That's the one where you really got to grit your teeth and get after it," he said. "So I expect nothing less this week."

colorado_logo.png
Brooks: Cabral's Saturday Nostalgia Focused On CU Seniors - CUBuffs.com

Were Brian Cabral in his old position as a position coach, he might allow himself to be more reflective about Saturday, the Big 12 and the Big Eight. But his new role has him turned outward more than inward. Saturday is Senior Day. Cabral's CU roots run Big Eight deep, tracking to 1989 when he was hired by former Buffaloes head coach Bill McCartney. Cabral's college playing days and the bulk of his coaching life have been spent at Folsom Field and various stops in the Midwest and Southwest. And although he's never met Bill Snyder - that opportunity likely will present itself during pregame Saturday - he has been at CU long enough to see up-close-and-personal the dawning of the Snyder Eras...

THE TWO TOP CALLERS: Cabral heard from a host of people last week when he took over following Dan Hawkins' dismissal. But the advice he treasured most came from a pair of former CU coaches - McCartney and Gary Barnett.

Cabral said McCartney remains a mentor in a number of areas and that Barnett "gave me sound advice . . . they're both men who have known success here; they're men I respect, admire and trust. I know they have my back. Those two had the most impact on me."

TWO VOTES OF CONFIDENCE: Cabral has publicly acknowledged his interest in CU's permanent coaching job. Solder and freshman receiver Paul Richardson said if he was promoted, it would be a good move. Solder cited Cabral's "passion for the Buffs, his knowledge of the traditions here. He made me feel like a cog in the wheel here . . . there's been a sense of rejuvenation for me and the team. Yeah, I think he'd make a good head coach."

Richardson, closing in on the end of his first season in Boulder, echoed Solder's description of Cabral's passion and said Cabral's focus last week was on "keeping us intact and together . . . he said this is a new team - everything we're doing now, we're doing together. "Collectively, we've all bought in . . . you can see it in the way we've been practicing." If Cabral was promoted, said Richardson, "It would be great; I wouldn't be mad at all. I hope they (the staff) do stay if we can finish off strong. We're playing for our coaches, but we're playing for us as well."

Looking for more or different recounts of Saturday's win over Iowa St.? Looking for Cross Country stuff? Make the jump.

colorado_logo.png
XC Men Ranked No. 7, Women Ranked No. 8 - CUBuffs.com - The CU men's cross country team moved up two spots from ninth to seventh in the final USTFCCCA Division I Coaches Poll while the women's team remained at No. 8.

colorado_logo.png
CU's ground game ignites - The Longmont Times-Call

With Kiesau in full control, there were some differences to how the Buffs played offense in their 34-14 win over Iowa State on Saturday. "A little bit of a difference," receiver Scotty McKnight said. "We were a little conservative at times." That was particularly true on first down. The Buffs ran the ball on 24 of 29 first-down plays (82.8 percent), a major change from their season average of 55.9 percent running plays on first down. "In our mind, in order for us to win this game it was to keep their offense off the field," CU running backs coach Darian Hagan said. "We had to run the ball and I told Speedy (Rodney Stewart) to put those guys on his back and you’ve got to carry the team, and that’s what he did,"

colorado_logo.png
The First Victory of 2011 " CU At the Game - A CU Football blog by Stuart Whitehair

The calendar says it is still November, 2010. The schedule says that there are two games left for the Colorado Buffaloes as a member of the Big 12. The 4-6 record says that Colorado is still a member of the lower echelon of major college football. The 34-14 victory over Iowa State, however, was more than the fourth victory of the 2010 season. The win was more than the first conference win of the year. It was better than the first "W" in over a month of play. It was the first victory of the 2011 season...

colorado_logo.png
No quit in Buffs' QB - The Longmont Times-Call

"Now’s the easy part," he said then. "Now you go out and you play football because nothing that’s said after now is going to be as bad as the stuff that was getting thrown our way early on. "Regardless of what’s going on on the outside, I’m going to prepare, I’m going to compete and I’m going to be there for my guys." He sure backed that up. Hawkins led the Buffs to a 34-14 win over Iowa State last Saturday, and on Monday, he was named the Big 12 Conference Offensive Player of the Week. "That is so awesome. He deserved it," CU interim coach Brian Cabral said during Monday’s Big 12 teleconference with coaches.

"He went through a lot more than anybody would ever know. No one can appreciate the adversity, the emotions. No one could understand what he went through, and how he handled that was just unbelievable. I couldn’t be prouder, I couldn’t be happier for him and his family. That was befitting. He went out and led us the way we needed to be led."

Go Buffs!

Originally posted by Ralphie Report
Click here to view the article.

Back