What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

"Welcome to Boulder" video from CU AD

This white guy's opinion is that overt racial prejudice in Boulder is strictly taboo.

There is prejudice in Boulder. Smokers of tobacco are going to get some crusty looks and snide comments.

Obesity is also likely to draw ridicule. Boulder is a town for athletes and outdoor enthusiasts.

This is the profile of someone who may likely experience supreme prejudice in Boulder; A fat person who smokes, wears fur, hates to commune with nature, and constantly talks about how Chicago, Texas, California or "back home" are superior cities than Boulder. People in Boulder are there because they choose to be. If you don't like Boulder and voice that opinion, you'll be promptly told to get out.

Boulder is not the place to avoid or sneer upon an outdoor lifestyle. If you have ever gone on a camping trip and accepted the inconvenience of peeing in the wilderness, then you'll do fine. A black person who is training for a triathlon or who rides bikes, or likes to climb rocks, or runs, or thrives in an academic setting will quickly be accepted.

But if you'd turn down a 4 hour hike because you don't want to pee outdoors, and you insist on smoking, enjoy hunting animals, or redneck motor vehicle sports, or want to major in rap music, then Boulder would be a challenging place no matter your skin color.

Boulder has a huge tolerance for religious beliefs. People are free to believe in whatever God they want, or believe in no God at all. There is no dominant religion in Boulder. It's a great venue to explore your spirituality in an absence of oppression in a city that has devout populations of Catholics, Protestants, Evangelicals, Mormons, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Islam, Wicca, Druids, Atheists, Agnostics, and just about any religious persuasion you can think of. This religious tolerance generally transcends racial differences, as people who live in Boulder tend to be very well traveled.

The bigger knock on Boulder isn't racism, but elitism. There are some very well-to-do people in Boulder who ride $8,000 bicycles, drive fancy European luxury cars and take amazing vacation adventures that include treks up Mount Everest or Doctors(Engineers) without Borders excursions to places like Madagascar or El Salvador to build schools, dig wells, and cure malaria. For those without so much discretionary cash to spend on exotic travel and pricy toys, Boulder can be intimidating. Some of the in-state students might envy or scorn the out-of-staters who show off their wealth. The elitism of Boulder's upper crust is more financially based than racial.

I've heard stories of subtle institutional racism, like second hand stories of someone getting pulled over for driving while black. But I've never personally witnessed anything like that. The Boulder Police tend to treat all students, regardless of race, pretty poorly.

I am a 115lb athlete. I play tennis, soccer, I jog, run cross country, and am a member of a 24hour gym. I don't smoke and I am very liberal. I tend to get along with most all people. I really want to learn how to snowboard though. My family is pretty wealthy, but I'm not the one to brag or try to make others think of me as a boastful person. We only spend money when necessary. Thank you I now feel that I would be a good match to Boulder. :)

Last edited:
I am a 115lb athlete. I play tennis, soccer, I jog, run cross country, and am a member of a 24hour gym. I don't smoke and I am very liberal. I tend to get along with most all people. I really want to learn how to snowboard though. My family is pretty wealthy, but I'm not the one to brag or try to make others think of me as a boastful person. We only spend money when necessary. Thank you I now feel that I would be a good match to Boulder. :)

A good match? Hell, you'll feel like you've lived there your whole life.

I plan to study Political Science and Government and minor in Accounting. Would you recommend any good majors? I do very well in anything math related I'm talking like 103, 105 averages, but I love learning History/English.??

I thought about poly sci, but ended up with a degree in international affairs. IA blends poly sci, econ, history and a foreign language. You gotta pick a language and region. The deal maker was the option to spend my junior year abroad. I spent a year in Barcelona studying a broad (or two) and pursuing all kinds of international relations. It was gratifying way to use my degree before getting the diploma. I highly recommend that strategy.

Most of my electives were in the department of theatre. Some of my favorite classes involved preparing a scene or a monologue and getting up on stage in front of the prof and other students. You pretty much knew instantaneously if you nailed your finals. The department tackles some big productions each semester and the summer Shakespeare festival is one of the great institutions that boulder has to offer.

You will be a perfect match for Boulder, if you can only learn to be a little more obvious about your wealth. Also, you might want to add yoga to your resume.

I suspect you'll be Mayor before your second year in town...

You will be a perfect match for Boulder, if you can only learn to be a little more obvious about your wealth. Also, you might want to add yoga to your resume.

I suspect you'll be Mayor before your second year in town...

Important point here, though. You won't see people walking around Boulder looking like they do all their shopping at Barney's. Spotting people with money is more a matter of being able to identify $200 hiking boots, sports watches that are certified for deep dives, and mountain bikes that cost thousands of dollars.

I wonder what would happen if the Feds give the states the right to legalize pot. If Colorado legalized would the NCAA be able to stop athletes from smoking?

Good question. For performance reasons, I certainly hope they don't smoke. Back in the day (sorta), god knows how much my lungs hated me for taking bong hits the day prior to climbing a 14er.

And just so you know how we roll here, I have to say the obvious thing that we would say in any other thread were we were not selling the awesomeness that is CU and Boulder.

'This thread is useless without pictures!':nod:

And just so you know how we roll here, I have to say the obvious thing that we would say in any other thread were we were not selling the awesomeness that is CU and Boulder.

'This thread is useless without pictures!':nod:

Creeper.

If you want to fit in around Boulder, you need the Subaru. It will help if you have a "Save the planet" bumper sticker, too.

RANDOM GIF:

UseTheBearLuke_medium.gif

Back